Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:02 am

Amex travel is not Amex run, and has pretty poor customer service (from other reports on here, and on blogs).
Doppy likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Why not just book directly with the airline? Amex gives 5x points for tickets bought that way, too.
Are you sure (for a personal Plat card, not the business version)? This didn't seem true when I looked at the rules, shortly after the five points earning was announced.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Amex travel is not Amex run, and has pretty poor customer service (from other reports on here, and on blogs).
The OP would presumably go through AmEx PTS, not regular AmEx travel (unless AmEx is the corporate travel agent). They're very different, although I admit that PTS isn't nearly as good as it once was.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:09 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this is not DL-specific, I am moving thread to the AMEX Forum (credit card programs)
Obscure2K
Delta Moderator
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Hey all, I'm so sorry, I just realized that I was reading an old(er) post. Yes, it does seem that booking "directly through the airline" is also eligible.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If you have a personal Platinum card the you will earn the 4 points per dollar bonus (5 points total) if booking directly with Delta. However, if you have Business Platinum you must book through Amex Travel which is operated by Orbitz, and not the same as Platinum Travel Service.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by mia
If you have a personal Platinum card the you will earn the 4 points per dollar bonus (5 points total) if booking directly with Delta. However, if you have Business Platinum you must book through Amex Travel which is operated by Orbitz, and not the same as Platinum Travel Service.
+1. This is the correct answer.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: American Express
5x bonus for egencia?

Originally Posted by gooselee
Any data points about this occurring with tickets booked through Egencia (Expedia powered)?

Charge came through similar to the Concur screenshot above - with the "title" of the charge as Egencia but DBA Delta and the flight info as if I'd booked on DL.com.

If nobody else has encountered it, I'll keep an eye on how the points post next month and try to remember to return here with a DP.
Hi Gooselee
Did the Amex 5x bonus points post for Egencia for the Air Tickets?
Also, if you have purchased a hotel through Egencia, did any 5x bonus points for Hotel also post?
I do a lot of work travel and have to book on Egencia. So this fact will decide whether i sign up for this card or not.
Thanks
Dealseeker
Old Sep 27, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
New $500k/yr limit on 5x flight purchases on AMEX Platinum effective 1/1/21. After $500k goes to 1x. I hope one day to be annoyed at this.
strickerj and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 5:19 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by jags86
New $500k/yr limit on 5x flight purchases on AMEX Platinum effective 1/1/21. After $500k goes to 1x. I hope one day to be annoyed at this.
I wonder what percentage of Plat holders would be affected by this. I am not sure if I would spend even that much in my lifetime!

LAX
Old Sep 27, 2020, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by jags86
Originally Posted by LAX
I wonder what percentage of Plat holders would be affected by this. I am not sure if I would spend even that much in my lifetime!

LAX
With the ability to have multiple charge cards, it should never be an issue.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I imagine that, for the most part, it'd only be an issue in a business context where the same card is used to book travel for multiple/many team members, that sort of situation.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Zorak
I imagine that, for the most part, it'd only be an issue in a business context where the same card is used to book travel for multiple/many team members, that sort of situation.
At which point, wouldn't you want a Business Platinum? Or did that get nerfed too?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I believe some small (or informal) travel agencies have been using personal Platinum cards to pay for client tickets.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
At which point, wouldn't you want a Business Platinum?
Business Platinum earns 5X on flights only if booked through Amex Travel.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I wish that the Amex Hotels 5x were not so terribly restrictive. I'd settle for 3x at any hotels, so I can at least get their benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.