Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Plat best lounge option if SFO is primary?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Amex Plat best lounge option if SFO is primary?

I'll be canceling my Prestige card at the end of the term as they're dropping AA. My experience with cards that just offer PPass is that the lounge coverage never seems to pair well with my travels; and the times I can use an eligible lounge they seem Tier 2 at best.

Is Amex Plat my best bet if I'm traveling out of SFO as a home city; since here there is a Centurion lounge? If so, are there particular versions of the Amex I should consider? I won't be using it for primary spend, mostly for the travel benefits, extended insurance on certain purchases, and rental car coverage (assuming it works well as primary ins. on rental cars).

Appreciate the insight in advance!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
No primary insurance coverage for rental cars with the card.

The Centurion lounge at SFO is nice (though of course crowded at times). Is your primary carrier UA? If not, would be a hassle to get to from other terminals other than Intl G. I don't think there is any airside connection between T2 and T3.

Keep an eye on this thread - speculation of a new Amex premium card coming real soon: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...mium-card.html
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by rudyr
I'll be canceling my Prestige card at the end of the term as they're dropping AA.
Is Amex Plat my best bet if I'm traveling out of SFO as a home city; since here there is a Centurion lounge?
Not sure these can added together.

Assuming you primarily travel with AA, Centurion Lounge is in T3 while AA is in T2.

Although you can get access to the terminal, you will have to clear security for each terminal individually.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so Cent is in the United Terminal? I generally always have the option to fly united. I just like the AA benefit because most of the time they'd let me into the AA lounge even if I had a ticket on Virgin.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:46 pm

Well, you also miss on out the guest availability for the Citi Priority Pass (with the amex it costs $27).

The Centurion lounge is better than the other lounges in SFO, but post-security access from other terminals is limited. So you have to go through TSA twice. Do you have enough time, and is that worth it to you?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... most of the time they'd let me into the AA lounge even if I had a ticket on Virgin.
That happens when the lounge attendant mistakes Citi Prestige for Citi Executive. If you replace Prestige with Executive you would have a full Admirals Club membership and you would be entitled to enter when flying any airline.

Last edited by mia; Oct 1, 2016 at 8:22 am
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:39 pm

I just finished my 6th SFO to east coast trip. I will say, unless you have plenty time to burn before you board your flight, if you are a heavy AA traveler, I wouldn't get the Platinum Card just for the centurion lounge benefits. I traveled AA on a couple of times, but transferring between two terminals are not that convenient.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I am a United flier and fly out of SFO every week. Unless you plan to switch to United the lounge wouldn't make sense. As others mentioned T3 is not connected to the other domestic terminals air-side. However, if you fly out of SFO on United or any other *A carrier you can access the Centurion lounge as T3 and International Terminal G are connected air-side.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:53 am

With TSA Pre, T2 security wasn't bad the past year. The average time it had taken me to go from the Cent Lounge though T2 security was about 15 minutes? Sometimes even less if I use the tram, but I usually just prefer to walk.

However, recently I've noticed more of the TSA inclusion thing where the lines have gotten longer and many have aren't familiar with the SFO TSA process. This has delayed things considerably and would reduce the convenience of the Amex Lounge for those leaving from T2.

For UA it's great, but it's...er...UA. So...
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Visconti
...many have aren't familiar with the SFO TSA process.
It is largely due to the fact that AA share T2 with VX.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
For what it is worth, I think Amex offers the best lounge option at SFO. Choices include:

Terminal 1 +2:
Delta Sky Club (when flying DL)

Terminal 3:
Amex Centurion Lounge

International Terminal
G connected to T3
A AF lounge via Priority Pass.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
For what it is worth, I think Amex offers the best lounge option at SFO. Choices include:

Terminal 1 +2:
Delta Sky Club (when flying DL)

Terminal 3:
Amex Centurion Lounge

International Terminal
G connected to T3
A AF lounge via Priority Pass.
Yeah the onion in the ointment is that there's no lounge option if you're flying AA (or VX or anything else but DL out of T1 or T2). AFAIK there aren't even any plans to build an airside connection between T2 and T3.

Last edited by taliesin; Oct 4, 2016 at 12:06 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by taliesin
AFAIK there aren't even any plans to build an airside connection between T2 and T3.
It looks like that will take years to happen. I love the SFO Centurion Lounge, but if I were regularly flying out of T2, T1 or International-A (unconnected airside), I would seldom have enough time pre-flight to justify two trips through security, just to visit the lounge.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
It looks like that will take years to happen. I love the SFO Centurion Lounge, but if I were regularly flying out of T2, T1 or International-A (unconnected airside), I would seldom have enough time pre-flight to justify two trips through security, just to visit the lounge.
I terminal hopped once or twice when i fly aa, but wanted amex lounge. Takes an extra 5-10 min to clear security/walk the distance. granted i have global entry/precheck; but if you have the plat there is really no reason you shouldn't have precheck.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by taliesin
Yeah the onion in the ointment is that there's no lounge option if you're flying AA (or VX or anything else but DL out of T1 or T2). AFAIK there aren't even any plans to build an airside connection between T2 and T3.
In a way, it's probably a good thing. The SFO Centurion Lounge is already overcrowded - I can't imagine what would happen if people flying out of other terminals could easily access it.

I'd go for the Amex Platinum. You have great lounge coverage for SFO (except for AA, but as other people have mentioned, you can just go through security twice if you have time) as well as at most other airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.