Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]

I can't find an e-mail address for Amex. They sent me an offer of 10K MR points to enroll my Business Platinum card in the Pay Over Time feature. Always, when I go to the registration page, it tells me that they can't process my request at this time, and I should try again in 48 hours. I've been trying for a couple of months, have phoned Amex twice to no avail, and now need to secure message them with a copy of the offer, which expires on November 1. But what electronic address can I use?

Thanks.....
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...il-alerts.html
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That link is only for merchants, not for consumers.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Explore
I can't find an e-mail address for Amex. They sent me an offer of 10K MR points to enroll my Business Platinum card in the Pay Over Time feature. Always, when I go to the registration page, it tells me that they can't process my request at this time, and I should try again in 48 hours. I've been trying for a couple of months, have phoned Amex twice to no avail, and now need to secure message them with a copy of the offer, which expires on November 1. But what electronic address can I use?

Thanks.....
They took away secure messages (for consumers) some time back.

Try using chat instead of calling. Perhaps there's a way you can submit it through chat?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Where is the Notification Center (formerly the Secure Message Center) located?

Our Notification Center is located at americanexpress.com/messagecenter. Once you log into your American Express online account, the Notification Center displays.

If you have any questions, you can chat with us by logging into your account and clicking "Help" located in the top right corner of your screen. From there, click "Start Live Chat" located in the "Online" tab.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Our Notification Center is located at americanexpress.com/messagecenter. Once you log into your American Express online account, the Notification Center displays.
But that doesn't seem to allow sending new secure messages, only receiving them. I just tried it, and all it said was there were no new notifications, and the only contact option visible seemed to be to call them.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:18 pm
mia

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Try using chat instead of calling.
Originally Posted by mia
....you can chat with us by logging into your account and clicking "Help" located in the top right corner of your screen. From there, click "Start Live Chat" located in the "Online" tab.
Sorry, this was intended to explain how to initiate a Chat session if the option does not appear automatically.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: DL FO
I haven't been able to get the Chat window to appear at all on my American Express account in the last week or two. Has anyone else had this problem?

I've tried the steps listed above and have used multiple browsers on multiple machines and still no luck. I don't even see "Help" located in the top right corner of my screen.

Anyone have a solution? I'd rather chat than call.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BringBackTWA
I haven't been able to get the Chat window to appear at all on my American Express account in the last week or two. Has anyone else had this problem?

I've tried the steps listed above and have used multiple browsers on multiple machines and still no luck. I don't even see "Help" located in the top right corner of my screen.

Anyone have a solution? I'd rather chat than call.
When logged onto your account, look for the "Help" button in the upper right. Click on that and you will get another button pop up for a chat.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by Surface Interval
When logged onto your account, look for the "Help" button in the upper right. Click on that and you will get another button pop up for a chat.
Thanks, but as mentioned I don't see any "Help" button in the upper right. I only see a button that says "Log Out".

I see the screenshot of the Amex account page here that includes that "Help" button, but it's very strange that I don't see that button on my account.

Is there a direct link someone can send me when clicking on the "Help" button?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:35 pm
mia

• Login to americanexpress.com
  • Go here: americanexpress.com/messagecenter
  • Wait
  • After the notification center loads, click the Telephone icon
  • Wait
  • Choose "Online" rather than Phone or Mail
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
It has been many months since I have been able to contact Amex online at all-no secure messages or Chat. I don't have a "help" button and Mia's directions did not work for me.

Is it possible that only certain types of cards are now permitted online communication?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:50 pm
mia

Originally Posted by freeflyin
Is it possible that only certain types of cards are now permitted online communication?
More likely to be a technical problem, I think. Have you tried various browsers and using an incognito/Private window to exclude cookies etc?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:15 am
mia

Try this:

Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those could not open chat window or the window shows up but would not load

Your issues are more to do with your own settings be it on the browser you used or the Ad Blockers or outdated plug in on the browsers - there are myriad of reasons that dont work. Unfortunately mostly is related to the setting on your side.

For months when I was at FireFox the chat window would show up but it would just keep loading yet never loaded. Changed to use IE it resolved the issue but FF remained a problem.

No matter how I cleared the cookies, reset the security criteria, it just did not work in FF.

Somehow after several updates including some plug in over the several months, suddenly FF works flawlessly.

I usually just go to Contact Us to find the online chat option.

I still have the issue of unable to get a transcript of the chat. The buttons below on getting a transcript would not work - it simply closes the chat. If I want a transcript I do a copy / paste to the notepad of my computer - about the only way I could get a transcript.

BTW Chrome seems the browser has the least compatible issues with sites and screen capture softwares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.