Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The chat window pops up for me almost all the time, requiring me to dismiss it whenever I log in to check out the latest offers.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The chat window pops up for me almost all the time, requiring me to dismiss it whenever I log in to check out the latest offers.
Same here. Whenever the chat reps are available, the chat window keeps bobbing up at the bottom right corner - actually is annoying.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by freeflyin
It has been many months since I have been able to contact Amex online at all-no secure messages or Chat. I don't have a "help" button and Mia's directions did not work for me.
Agreed. I have tried all the instructions provided by Mia on multiple browsers and none work. NO help icon, no telephone icon, nothing. I do not know how you all are able to chat online but it does not work for me (or others). It is ridiculous that a company as large as Amex cannot make this easier. One should not have to be an IT expert to chat online.

See... no help button.

And when I go to americanexpress.com/messagecenter it just takes me to the home page same as it does if I just log into Amex directly.

And when I click contact us I am taken to a page with a list of phone numbers, nothing else.

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Dec 1, 2016 at 5:15 am
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
See... no help button.
I can reproduce that view if I open americanexpress.com in a Firefox Private Window. However, if I change one setting, and refresh the tab, the Chat function appears: Options > Privacy > Remove checkmark from Use Tracking Protection in Private Windows.

Perhaps we could try disabling Tracking Protection (aka Do Not Track) on other browsers to see if it fixes the problem?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mia
I can reproduce that view if I open americanexpress.com in a Firefox Private Window. However, if I change one setting, and refresh the tab, the Chat function appears: Options > Privacy > Remove checkmark from Use Tracking Protection in Private Windows.

Perhaps we could try disabling Tracking Protection (aka Do Not Track) on other browsers to see if it fixes the problem?
Mia, you should work in IT I removed the checkbox that was blocking third party cookies and also removed the "do not track" request within Google Chrome. Viola! Chat box appeared. Thank you!! ^
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:42 pm

Amex Live Chat missing?

I just had my annual fee hit on my Platinum card and want to cancel. I typically do this via Live Chat, but I can't figure out any way to get a Live Chat window to pop up. Have they done away with the feature recently? Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Live chat feature is still showing for me when I log in. Perhaps you happened to be online at a time where nobody was available. I've had times when the live chat bubble wouldn't show up for a bit.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
A browser privacy setting can block the Chat feature. See the most recent posts in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-url-amex.html

Last edited by mia; Jun 3, 2017 at 5:50 am
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:05 am

Live chat worked for me Thursday.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by mia
A browser privacy setting can block the Chat feature. See the most recent posts in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-url-amex.html
Working now, thank you so much!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Confirmed chat can work on Mac w/Safari. I couldn't find the Chat either (In the help menu), but it finally showed up after I allowed flash for the Amex site on my Mac Safari. I also disabled some other extensions, so not quite sure it was flash, but I think so.

Glad chat is back (for me, as of course it didn't disappear for everyone!), its the best way to check bonuses!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AX - Plat, Everyday, and Starwood Small Biz. Citi - AA Mastercard
Originally Posted by Explore
I can't find an e-mail address for Amex. They sent me an offer of 10K MR points to enroll my Business Platinum card in the Pay Over Time feature. Always, when I go to the registration page, it tells me that they can't process my request at this time, and I should try again in 48 hours. I've been trying for a couple of months, have phoned Amex twice to no avail, and now need to secure message them with a copy of the offer, which expires on November 1. But what electronic address can I use?

Thanks.....
No need to message them the offer. Reps can see every email communication you were sent.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: QR Gold
For any UK Amex members looking for condensed up to date information, I was having this problem with the UK Amex site. I was seeing the text "chat" on the "Contact Us" page but there was no button to click. In another FT thread here some members suggested visiting the US splash page here and clicking the telephone in the top right corner, then clicking on chat, then logging in. However, this procedure redirects you back to the UK site again and I was still unable to use the chat.

I resolved the problem on Mac Safari by going to the "Security" tab in Safari preferences, clicking on "Plug-in Settings" and changing the Flash Player settings for the American Express website from "ask" to "on". It turns out flash player had just been blocking the chat function and this fixed my problem immediately.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Mia, you should work in IT I removed the checkbox that was blocking third party cookies and also removed the "do not track" request within Google Chrome. Viola! Chat box appeared. Thank you!! ^
Uncheck "blocking third party cookies" does the magic. Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:17 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by nkcfan
Uncheck "blocking third party cookies" does the magic. Thanks!
+1

That was the magic sauce, thanks! Had previously tried toggling "Do Not Track" to no avail, but unblocking third party cookies was what ultimately did the trick.

i.e. on my Chromebook, going to:

chrome://settings/content/cookies

Name:  Screenshot 2018-01-06 at 09.14.24.png
Views: 2257
Size:  25.6 KB

FWIW I was able to leave adbl*ck on, and Do Not Track on, and still got the Live Chat button. However I had to turn Ghostery off in order to be able to actually send a message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.