FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Amex Travel site and Marriott booking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1788405-amex-travel-site-marriott-booking.html)

DFWFairy Sep 1, 2016 7:14 pm

Amex Travel site and Marriott booking

Booked a 5-night stay at the Hong Kong Marriott on the Amex Travel portal. Can I still get my Marriott Rewards Gold benefits? The confirmation shown was not recognized by Marriott.com Should I call them to add my account?

henrythefourth Sep 1, 2016 9:20 pm

Yes, you will get your Gold benefits. Yes, you will get 5 nights credit for the stay. No, you will not get Marriott points for the cost of the nights stayed. You will get whatever points you earn from putting expenses to your room. Call the hotel, or your gold member hotline number, and have them attach your rewards number to the reservation.

@henrythefourth

Java Titan Sep 3, 2016 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by henrythefourth (Post 27154080)
Yes, you will get your Gold benefits. Yes, you will get 5 nights credit for the stay. No, you will not get Marriott points for the cost of the nights stayed. You will get whatever points you earn from putting expenses to your room. Call the hotel, or your gold member hotline number, and have them attach your rewards number to the reservation.

@henrythefourth

Is this same for other hotel chains like Hyatt? If I 'm not booked with amextravel.com but I booked with hotels.com, is it also the same?

Thank you.

mia Sep 3, 2016 4:36 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by Java Titan (Post 27161659)
Is this same for other hotel chains...

The rules vary by hotel chain/program. I would research Hyatt's policy in the Hyatt forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-gold-passport-418/

DFWFairy Sep 5, 2016 10:28 am

I twitted Marriott and they said they could not add my number on since I booked on a third party site. That's just ridiculous.

mia Sep 5, 2016 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by DFWFairy (Post 27168267)
... said they could not add my number on since I booked on a third party site..

What do the terms of their program say?

Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline.com, Tripadvisor.com or any other 3rd party online/mobile travel portal (regardless of how the hotel is paid) are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit.
http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi

DFWFairy Sep 5, 2016 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 27169004)
What do the terms of their program say?

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi

I understand that. But I would think that if my account could be entered some way I could still get Gold benefits.

kaaria Sep 5, 2016 3:21 pm

Call the Hotel

Originally Posted by DFWFairy (Post 27169243)
I understand that. But I would think that if my account could be entered some way I could still get Gold benefits.

I would just call the hotel and frankly say, I understand I won't get credit, but I would like to utilize the benefits, so can you please add my MR to my reservation.

mia Sep 5, 2016 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by DFWFairy (Post 27169243)

Present your card during check-in and see what happens.

Bobberjet Apr 19, 2017 10:16 am

Originally Posted by DFWFairy (Post 27153681)
Booked a 5-night stay at the Hong Kong Marriott on the Amex Travel portal. Can I still get my Marriott Rewards Gold benefits? The confirmation shown was not recognized by Marriott.com Should I call them to add my account?

Any report on getting Marriott to give you your Gold benefits or credit you with points or elite nights?

Troopers Apr 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bobberjet (Post 28200732)
Any report on getting Marriott to give you your Gold benefits or credit you with points or elite nights?

I have, most recently two wks ago at the St Ermin's in London. Two reservations; a prepaid stay via Amex Travel (for Amex Offer bonus MR pts) followed by 4 nights using Citi's 4NF. Called JPM/RC elite line and requested my Marriott MR number be added to both reservations and to stay in same room. JPM/RC agent called the property and made it happen. Agent forwarded email from property confirming this. I received elite benefits, nights and about 42k MR points.

Have similar reservations this July at the JW in Hong Kong, and have been able to add my MR number to both reservations.

Bobberjet Apr 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers (Post 28202161)
I have, most recently two wks ago at the St Ermin's in London. Two reservations; a prepaid stay via Amex Travel (for Amex Offer bonus MR pts) followed by 4 nights using Citi's 4NF. Called JPM/RC elite line and requested my Marriott MR number be added to both reservations and to stay in same room. JPM/RC agent called the property and made it happen. Agent forwarded email from property confirming this. I received elite benefits, nights and about 42k MR points.

Have similar reservations this July at the JW in Hong Kong, and have been able to add my MR number to both reservations.

Seems like the sort of thing the Amex concierge should be equipped to handle ;)

sdix Apr 20, 2017 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Bobberjet (Post 28200732)

SFO Airport Marriott last week. Booked on Amex. Called hotel directly to add my Marriot number.

Checked in and saw no difference in treatment. Got all my Plat benefits. I did get points for the nights plus the spend.