Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get a US amex without address in the US

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Ultimate, BA Gold, LH senator, EK Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Get a US amex without address in the US

I'd like to know if I can apply for an amex Platinium or any other amex such as SPG amex etc... without living in the us, consequently without address in the US ?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Do you hold a card issued by American Express in another country? Do you have a US Social Security number? Do you have some connection to the USA, such as citizenship, employment?

You may find this recent thread helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...edit-card.html
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF Ultimate, BA Gold, LH senator, EK Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mia
Do you hold a card issued by American Express in another country? Do you have a US Social Security number? Do you have some connection to the USA, such as citizenship, employment?

You may find this recent thread helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...edit-card.html
I've got a French Air France Amex, I don't have US Social Security number and no connection in the USA, but I'd really like to get a US amex because of the super great sign-up bonus
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
With no SSN, No Job, no address, no income, and not even being physically present, you chances of getting a US amex, especially for the sign-up bonus, are nil.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
There is a thread about "Global Transfer Experiences" where you can see what others have had to do in order to get US based Amex.

All cases I know of had either an ITIN or SSN as well as a US mailing address. I have not heard of any case that was successful without these.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:31 pm

I managed to get a US AMEX through Global Transfer without an SSN/ITIN but it required patience. I was trying to get the AMEX sorted prior to moving to the US permanently, moving from the UK where I have a few cards.

For the Global Transfer process, I simply needed to be able to show:
- formal documentation showing my US address (they only accepted certain documents; e.g. a mortgage/rental agreement or bank statement etc). I had a bank statement because I had opened a US bank account on an earlier visit to the US (with HSBC USA; I didn't need a SSN or an ITIN to open that HSBC USA bank account but see my point a little later in this post about what I *did require*).
- I also sent a copy of my US visa (a K1 visa at the time of application. Now it is moving over to a green card).

Once I had sent HSBC that documentation, I received my AMEX card within a few days with a decent enough limit. I now have a SSN and so that was updated on their system using the W9 form.

The same is true using HSBC's International Bank Account Opening process which I used to open a US checking account and US credit card. However, they didn't need proof of my USA address and used my UK address but opened a US card based on a copy of my US visa (i.e. the K1 visa). They did require proof of income but they used my UK income and assets for this.

So... given my own experience, it is definitely possible to open a US credit card (e.g. an AMEX) without physically being present in the US and without an SSN. However, you will need to show relevant ties such as an approved VISA and/or financial links such as an address.

Even if I didn't provide an SSN, no doubt I would have been asked to have provided/applied for an ITIN prior to the deadline for the next tax filing year. I was on top of everything though and so submitted a W9 immediately after receiving my SSN from the SSA.

Obviously, your mileage may vary. For me, the process took about 2 weeks from beginning to finishing all the documentation and then receiving the card. I am unsure whether my circumstances are common though but I thought I'd highlight that there are are circumstances that go beyond having an SSN/ITIN. For those that simply want a US AMEX but have no connections, they'll likely struggle significantly and fall at the first hurdle.

Simon.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Thanks for your post Simon. That was definitely not a cookie cutter case but there may well be a few people out there who are in similar circumstances and will find your post very helpful.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:30 pm

If it makes you feel better almost all high quality European banking doors have been closed to USA residents wanting to bank in Europe because of compliance cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.