PRG question - "Select and Pay Later" feature

Old Jun 12, 16, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney View Post
2) The letter states to call the number on the back of the card, so that is what I do.

[...]

If there is a non-toll-free number please share. Thx.
Please look at the back of your PRG card again. The non-toll-free number (with a North Carolina area code) is right there on the back of the card too, two big words ("International Collect") after the toll-free number!

Do you see it now?
Old Jun 12, 16, 10:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eajusa View Post
This does not change when select and pay later is added to one's account.
How do you know that if AMEX enables this feature on my account it will not change it to a credit card? Do you have any evidence of that, or was that simply your assumption?
Old Jun 12, 16, 10:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post

Do you see it now?
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Problem is solved, I will call North Carolina on Monday!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 16, 10:42 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
How do you know that if AMEX enables this feature on my account it will not change it to a credit card?
What is Select and Pay Later ?
Select and Pay Later is a pay over time feature on your Charge Card that allows you to select nearly any charge of $100 or more to pay over time
https://online.americanexpress.com/m...s.com/paylater

Enrolling in any of the Pay Over Time programs does not convert a charge card into a credit card. It establishes a separate line of credit which can be used to to finance qualifying transactions.

I would not assume that dialing a number in North Carolina will result is speaking with someone physically located there. It may, or the call may be routed in exactly the same way as the call to the toll free number.
Old Jun 12, 16, 10:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks Mia. I think my main point is that they are enrolling me in something whether I want it or not and now I've got to jump through hoops to make them stop (especially that I've already requested that they stop). I will report back as to whether the North Carolina number actually results in getting an agent in North Carolina.
Old Jun 12, 16, 10:52 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
... enrolling me in something whether I want it or not ...
Understood. If they want this to be a standard feature of the card they should incorporate it into the terms at time of application, and not squander their money, and our time, after the fact.
Old Jun 12, 16, 2:50 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
How do you know that if AMEX enables this feature on my account it will not change it to a credit card? Do you have any evidence of that, or was that simply your assumption?
I have evidence of this, as I have used the feature.
Old Jun 12, 16, 2:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Jun 14, 16, 9:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Update -
Just called AMEX using the "International Collect" number on the back of my card (336-393-1111), instead of the 1800 number. Went through the usual phone tree...

Got a guy in SALT LAKE CITY! (I don't know if this always happens, but it sure was a breath of fresh air!)

He solved all of my issues in about a minute. No Select and Pay Later feature for me! He also said that I would be receiving a confirmation letter that I opted out of this feature. Thanks everybody!
Old Jun 14, 16, 10:36 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Update -
Just called AMEX using the "International Collect" number on the back of my card (336-393-1111), instead of the 1800 number. Went through the usual phone tree...

Got a guy in SALT LAKE CITY! (I don't know if this always happens, but it sure was a breath of fresh air!)
There used to be an Amex service center in Greensboro NC (which has area code 336), but I thought it had closed a couple of years ago?
Old Jun 14, 16, 10:25 pm
Suspended

He solved all of my issues in about a minute. No Select and Pay Later feature for me! He also said that I would be receiving a confirmation letter that I opted out of this feature. Thanks everybody!
Well, maybe. I opted out a while back and then got a letter in the mail telling me my enrollment was delayed two months.
Old Jul 15, 17, 10:53 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG-75K, HHonors-Gld, Priority Spire, LT MR Ti
Just got the letter today for my Amerprise Plat Card.

I have no reason for this as I'm auto-paying statement balance. I recall reading here on FT enrolling in this gave a 5k or 10k bonus. That would be the only reason I'd join.

Any experiences?
Old Jul 15, 17, 11:33 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Just got the letter today for my Amerprise Plat Card.

I recall reading here on FT enrolling in this gave a 5k or 10k bonus. That would be the only reason I'd join.
Does your letter say enrolling gives you the 10K bonus?

Its targeted, without the bonus language = no bonus.
Old Jul 16, 17, 12:15 am

Programs: Alaska LTG-75K, HHonors-Gld, Priority Spire, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
Does your letter say enrolling gives you the 10K bonus?

Its targeted, without the bonus language = no bonus.
It mentions nothing of a bonus, no thanks. APR is 19.24%, HA HA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: