Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye pro-rated Annual Fee refunds (USA), September 2016, exceptions reported.

Bye Bye pro-rated Annual Fee refunds (USA), September 2016, exceptions reported.

Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: DL PM
Too Late to Cancel Amex Platinum?

Hi there,

Recently opened a regular Amex Platinum and took advantage of the airline travel reimbursement benefit. I assume this would preclude me from cancelling the card without incurring the annual fee? Reason I ask is I also just signed up for the Ameriprise Amex Platinum, and would prefer to use that for the first year to waive the AF.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:06 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ElliottMB

Recently...
If recently is more than 30 days the terms say no refund, but you should ask because some exceptions are reported in this thread. Using a benefit has no apparent relevance.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElliottMB
Hi there,

Recently opened a regular Amex Platinum and took advantage of the airline travel reimbursement benefit. I assume this would preclude me from cancelling the card without incurring the annual fee? Reason I ask is I also just signed up for the Ameriprise Amex Platinum, and would prefer to use that for the first year to waive the AF.
Have you gotten the bonus on the regular Plat?

If so, I would not cancel the card so soon - it has been known to be a reason to crawl back bonus even for a downgrade to Gold.

Google is your friend if you want to read about one blogger's ordeal.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
Have you gotten the bonus on the regular Plat?

If so, I would not cancel the card so soon - it has been known to be a reason to crawl back bonus even for a downgrade to Gold.

Google is your friend if you want to read about one blogger's ordeal.
There is nothing in the T&C's about "closing a card "too soon" may result in points being removed from the account."

If AMEX does do that, customer could and should fight it, and they would win easily.

I recently scored 100k pts from an AMEX Plat and was able to close the card within 30 days of the AF hitting. Also squeezed them for the $200 air credit. No crawl back.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
No Fee cards included

I called to cancel and was told while there aren't any retention offers available now, that I could call in a couple of months. I asked about the no proration deal and the agent said as long as I have a card I will be entitled to prorated fees enough though my card is not fee based.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Annual fee refund?

Hi,

my Amex platinum fee was assessed on Nov 24th... I am trying to hold on to the card until January to get the $200 airline fee back... would I still get my annual fee refunded then?

thanks
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:21 pm

" No Fee cards included "
Originally Posted by kaaria
I called to cancel and was told while there aren't any retention offers available now, that I could call in a couple of months. I asked about the no proration deal and the agent said as long as I have a card I will be entitled to prorated fees enough though my card is not fee based.
Did you close the card and get pro-rated refund due to having another no fee Amex card?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Despite having other annual fee cards, was not offered a pro-rated refund on the PRG. The annual posted last April, so not sure if it's just too much time has passed. Any recent datapoints?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:13 pm

My platinum $175 fee for AU posted a few months before my primary platinum renewal. If I downgrade the primary within 30d of primary AF posting, should I expect the $175 to refund as well?

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
If I downgrade a Biz Plat, how long does it take until I receive a pro rated refund?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:28 am

Has anybody else had trouble having the fee refunded even within the 30 days?

My fee hit on 2/4, i called to cancel on 2/5 and they told me it would be refunded. As of today, 3/3, and after weekly calls in which they assured me it wold be credited back shortly, still no refund. My payment was due on 3/1, so I paid it, and unfortunately I am now trying to get refunded my actual money.

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:04 am

DP
I cancelled my Amex personal platinum today, which was opened in November 2016. I received $300 partial annual fee credit, which I wasn't expecting. I used $400 in total travel incidental credits since I opened the account.

I also cancelled my business platinum card which was opened same time in November 2016, but no refund was offered. So I am not sure it is up to the CSR who gets the phone call or system generated.

Last edited by peterrudy; Mar 6, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by Happy
I was only told since I have 2 other credit cards with AMEX so it would be pro-rated refund - she did not mention "fee card" but now it makes sense because out of the other cards (more than 2), there are the HH Surpass and the PRG (still on 1st year fee waived period), so that might be what she saw as "fee cards".

This also matches with Napagoer data point - he has a newly acquired PRG in August prior to canceling the Blue Cash Preferred this month.

Nowhere in the notice AMEX sent out on the new AF refund policy has ever mentioned this little gem.
I tried to cancel PRG and get pro-rated refund, while keeping Delta Reserve open. I was told there is no such thing as pro-rated refund with another fee card.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:16 pm

The only proration that's still happening is proration when you downgrade. Eg from plat to PRG
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:31 pm

I recently cancelled a supplemental Business Centurion. Was informed that prorated annual fee of $2500 would be credited the following day (which it was)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.