Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye pro-rated Annual Fee refunds (USA), September 2016, exceptions reported.

Bye Bye pro-rated Annual Fee refunds (USA), September 2016, exceptions reported.

Old Jun 7, 16, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 View Post
Yes BUT, these points will only be frozen 6-8 weeks. The AF prorated refunds elimination won't begin until September so there will be a period in which people can still get almost all of their AF refunded.

This is what I plan on doing. Am actually going to open up an everyday card, so I don't ahve to dump the miles right away, and then close once that card has been established. Not too fussed if I ahve to keep this open for a year tbh, getting another 200 back in january means I'll still come ahead by 50 bucks with the global entry I got out of it, but still would rather cash out earlier...
Old Jun 7, 16, 8:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by p00hdiddy View Post
This is what I plan on doing. Am actually going to open up an everyday card, so I don't ahve to dump the miles right away, and then close once that card has been established. Not too fussed if I ahve to keep this open for a year tbh, getting another 200 back in january means I'll still come ahead by 50 bucks with the global entry I got out of it, but still would rather cash out earlier...
Good man
Old Jun 9, 16, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM 1K *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eajusa View Post
Amex is terminating the pro-rated annual fee refunds on all their cards effective September 2016.

In my statement were these details:
Bad idea for those who would turn out to have to cancel/close the accounts after owning the card instead of the churners/manufacturer spenders taking the advantage of the card.
Old Jun 9, 16, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 View Post
I've been doing this for quite some time now, including the points fiasco where AMEX really dropped the ball, and I'm still churning away without a blacklist. Everytime I call they thank me for my loyalty. Just the other day, I was approved for 2 Delta cards with another one pending. AFAICT, this blacklisting thing is a bit of a myth (as it relates to the activities I'm engaged in).
A grain of salt may be beneficial to go with advice coming from the individual who bullied target staff shortly before redbird was shut down. The responses in that thread advised you of possible consequences...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25487472-post10305.html
Interesting experience at a Target that I don't normally frequent. Had a Visa Debit Card for $500 that I wanted to load onto my RC. After swiping RC, cashier asked to see my Debit card. She saw that there was no name on it and she said I can only use debit cards with my name that matched my RC and ID. I asked her to show me the written policy that states that and she said she didn't have access to a written form.

After a little back and forth, I told her that she had 2 options. 1) To go ahead and allow me to use the debit card as I've done many times before or 2) I could go ahead and report her and her store for non-compliance to Visa (I had no intention of doing this as it is meaningless). Anyways, she fell for it, and allowed me to proceed with transaction.

Just goes to show you that while a sigh and whimper never works, occasionally forcing the issue does.
Old Jun 10, 16, 12:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
A grain of salt may be beneficial to go with advice coming from the individual who bullied target staff shortly before redbird was shut down. The responses in that thread advised you of possible consequences...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25487472-post10305.html
Standing up for yourself is the only way to play this game.
Old Jun 10, 16, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
for those of us who genuinely use products and have needs change sometimes mid-year this is a real disappointing change.
Old Jun 12, 16, 12:49 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver, National Executive
So if you're someone who keeps minimal cards and combine credit lines into new accounts while closing old accounts all the time at month 13 (because IIRC Amex won't transfer over credit to another card before then), Am I screwed because now I have make a choice between keeping the extra credit (for reallocation) or saving on the annual fee?
Old Jun 12, 16, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Looks like it, depending on the exact dates of the AF posting and the credit line being eligible for reallocation.
Old Jun 16, 16, 4:13 pm

How about converting a card?
Example 1, after six months of paying annual fee for a Platinum card, you DOWNGRADE it to a Gold Premier card, how much annual fee will be refunded/charged on the 1st statement after conversion?
Before Sep 1st, Amex will refund $450/2 and charge $195/2 on the same statement. How about after Sep 1st? No refund and charge $195/2? No refund and charge $195? Refund $450/2 and charge $195/2 or $195?

Example 2, after six months of paying annual fee for a Gold Premier card, you UPGRADE it to a Platinum card, how much annual fee will be refunded/charged on the 1st statement after conversion? Before Sep 1st, Amex will refund $195/2 and charge $450/2 on the same statement. How about after Sep 1st?
Old Jun 16, 16, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by milaohu View Post
How about converting a card?
Those are good questions. In the past year I upgraded my UA Explorer to their Club card. Chase Bank immediately reimbursed the $95 AF, but waited 6 months before charging me the $395 AF for my new card. I downgraded my Citi Prestige to Premier a few months ago. Citi immediately reimbursed the $450 AF and has yet to charge the $95 AF for my new card. Unfortunately, American Express is in the process of costs cutting. They have made several changes including this one to shore up their bottom line. The questions you ask involve scenarios that will occur in the near future. The only way to learn the answers is to hear from people who upgrade or downgrade a card and then post what Amex does concerning their annual fees. It would be very helpful to get some data points on this.
Old Jun 19, 16, 11:52 am

Smile

For folks from Massachusetts AMEX will still pro-rate the refunds.
Old Jun 20, 16, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa View Post
Those are good questions. In the past year I upgraded my UA Explorer to their Club card. Chase Bank immediately reimbursed the $95 AF, but waited 6 months before charging me the $395 AF for my new card. I downgraded my Citi Prestige to Premier a few months ago. Citi immediately reimbursed the $450 AF and has yet to charge the $95 AF for my new card. Unfortunately, American Express is in the process of costs cutting. They have made several changes including this one to shore up their bottom line. The questions you ask involve scenarios that will occur in the near future. The only way to learn the answers is to hear from people who upgrade or downgrade a card and then post what Amex does concerning their annual fees. It would be very helpful to get some data points on this.

chase charged you only $395? did you upgrade after they raised the club card AF to $450?
Old Jun 22, 16, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by slivrflyr View Post
chase charged you only $395? did you upgrade after they raised the club card AF to $450?
No. I upgraded just before the increase went into effect.
Old Jun 24, 16, 11:36 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DiMAn0684 View Post
For folks from Massachusetts AMEX will still pro-rate the refunds.
Everyone needs to move to Mass....

Amex must be scared of Elizabeth Warren
Old Jun 24, 16, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ktremor View Post
Everyone needs to move to Mass....

Amex must be scared of Elizabeth Warren
Just get a MA mail drop.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: