Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye pro-rated Annual Fee refunds (USA), September 2016, exceptions reported.

Bye Bye pro-rated Annual Fee refunds (USA), September 2016, exceptions reported.

Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Do you have other AMEX cards?

Please update us whether you actually receive the prorated refund as the rep claimed. May be we are seeing an unannounced undocumented treatment since the no refund after 30 days policy was put in place Sept 1st.
I just recently got the PRG in August and the HH card last week. I have one Corporate Green card from years ago.

Will update if I actually do get the refund or not. I was actually surprised the agent said I was going to get one.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:42 am

Smile

Do you have other AMEX cards?

Please update us whether you actually receive the prorated refund as the rep claimed. May be we are seeing an unannounced undocumented treatment since the no refund after 30 days policy was put in place Sept 1st.
Just a quick update, I saw the pro-rated annual fee credit to my account this morning. A quick call to CS and the credit was transferred to another card. I also had the option of them sending me a check.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Napagoer
Just a quick update, I saw the pro-rated annual fee credit to my account this morning. A quick call to CS and the credit was transferred to another card. I also had the option of them sending me a check.
Thank you for posting this valuable information as this is completely contradictory to the "official" policy of no pro-rated refund if cancellation happens after 30 days the fee is billed.

Could it be a system glitch or cards opened before the new policy are not affected? We dont know but would not look at the horse mouth.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:34 am

Thank you for posting this valuable information as this is completely contradictory to the "official" policy of no pro-rated refund if cancellation happens after 30 days the fee is billed.

Could it be a system glitch or cards opened before the new policy are not affected? We dont know but would not look at the horse mouth.
A few weeks ago I called AMX- I was told u will get a pro-rate refund as long as you have other fee cards -- did not try as not needed right now
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPLP007
A few weeks ago I called AMX- I was told u will get a pro-rate refund as long as you have other fee cards -- did not try as not needed right now
I was only told since I have 2 other credit cards with AMEX so it would be pro-rated refund - she did not mention "fee card" but now it makes sense because out of the other cards (more than 2), there are the HH Surpass and the PRG (still on 1st year fee waived period), so that might be what she saw as "fee cards".

This also matches with Napagoer data point - he has a newly acquired PRG in August prior to canceling the Blue Cash Preferred this month.

Nowhere in the notice AMEX sent out on the new AF refund policy has ever mentioned this little gem.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It appears Chase has followed American Express' lead, minus the advance notice:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ee-billed.html
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:18 am

Looks like not everyone has received the memo. I cancelled my Surpass card in October and got the prorated fee back. But good to know - looks like I'll be hanging on to my Business Platinum Delta card for the year instead of cancelling once the bonus 70K miles post.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:37 am

I cancelled my AMEX Platinum card October 7

and was issued a refund for the annual fee.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SPLP007
I was told u will get a pro-rate refund as long as you have other fee cards
I can confirm this. I just closed my Delta Gold and was told I will receive a pro-rated refund of this year's AF. I still have 4 Amex cards, all with AFs.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: BA
When are AMEX annual fees charged? Is it exactly one year from the account approval date?

For example, if my AMEX PRG is opened on November 9, 2016 with 1st year AF waived, will my AF be charged on November 9, 2017?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if it's possible to get 3 years of $100 reimbursements before an AF is paid.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
My PRG AF was charged on the closing date of the thirteenth statement. I opened the account in May 2015 with no initial AF. The first statement closed May 22, 2015. My 13th statement was May 22, 2016. It is not possible to get three $100 reimbursements before first AF.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wiivile
When are AMEX annual fees charged? Is it exactly one year from the account approval date?

For example, if my AMEX PRG is opened on November 9, 2016 with 1st year AF waived, will my AF be charged on November 9, 2017?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if it's possible to get 3 years of $100 reimbursements before an AF is paid.
No. If you open a card on November 9th, your first statement will likely close on or around Dec 1. So 12 months from that first statement closes, you will be charged the AF.

The $100 reimbursement is per calendar year. So in the 3rd year, you would be billed the AF in December. Depending on the date, you could possibly get 3 years worth but only if you give yourself (MAX) 30 days to call AMEX and cancel the card to get AF refunded. So if your statement closes Dec 1, it's not possible. If your statement closes Dec 10, you can probably do it.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wiivile
I would think it mostly depends on the (un)likelihood of this way of not getting a one-year anniversary AF:
I don't feel like searching that whole thread to find out if anyone's ever gotten a full waiver or full credit for the one-year anniversary AF on a BRG. But I presume that even if someone did, most people don't.

and, by extension, it's theoretically possible to get 10 years of $100 reimbursements before an AF is paid if by some wonder you get a retention bonus every single year.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I would think it mostly depends on the (un)likelihood of this way of not getting a one-year anniversary AF:
I don't feel like searching that whole thread to find out if anyone's ever gotten a full waiver or full credit for the one-year anniversary AF on a BRG. But I presume that even if someone did, most people don't.

and, by extension, it's theoretically possible to get 10 years of $100 reimbursements before an AF is paid if by some wonder you get a retention bonus every single year.
It's possible to get the 3 years, even without a retention offer. I'm planning to get the Ameriprise Plat. I will apply around Dec 5 so that my first statement closes towards the end of Dec/early Jan.

$200 AF credit in 2016
$200 AF credit in 2017
Annual fee posts late Dec 2017/early Jan 2018
$200 AF credit on Jan 1 2018
Then call AMEX to cancel and get AF refunded within 30 days of it posting
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMM1982
It's possible to get the 3 years, even without a retention offer. I'm planning to get the Ameriprise Plat. I will apply around Dec 5 so that my first statement closes towards the end of Dec/early Jan.

$200 AF credit in 2016
$200 AF credit in 2017
Annual fee posts late Dec 2017/early Jan 2018
$200 AF credit on Jan 1 2018
Then call AMEX to cancel and get AF refunded within 30 days of it posting
Of course, for many MR cards, perhaps only if you aren't interested in the best possible MR points offer. That's very likely to be offered at a different time of year than in December, I would think.

So you may have to make a choice: Go for a better-than-usual offer at another time year and only get the credit twice before AF, or go for whatever offer is available in December (even if it's not the best) and then get the credit three times before AF. I depends on whether you value the extra $100 or $200 (depending on the card) more or the extra points in a special offer more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.