Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurants that take AMEX in Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Accor Plat, Dynasty Flyer Gold, Etihad Guest Gold
Restaurants that take AMEX in Canada

It is extremely hard for me to find a good forum, blog, or website, that includes good options of restaurants that take AMEX in Canada. I hope that people can share insights for people like me that is trying to use AMEX in Canada for restaurant bills. The only website that I can find is from AMEX Canada. However, it only includes the restaurants below:

•ALICE FAZOOLI'S, JACK ASTOR'S, CANYON CREEK CHOPHOUSE, SECOND CITY, LOOSE CHANGE CHARLIES
•BROWNS SOCIALHOUSE
•BYMARK, FABBRICA, NORTH 44°, ONE RESTAURANT
•EARLS KITCHEN & BAR
•HARVEY'S, KELSEY'S, MILESTONE'S, MONTANA'S, SWISS CHALET, THE SECOND CUP
•MCDONALD'S
•MOXIE'S CLASSIC GRILL, CHOP RESTAURANTS, DENNYS, REVELSTOKE MOUNTAIN RESORT, SANDMAN HOTELS & INNS, SHARK CLUBS OF CANADA, THE SHARK CLUB OF LANGLEY
•OLIVER & BONACINI RESTAURANTS
•PICKLE BARREL
•THE KEG, HY'S STEAKHOUSES

Please share your list of restaurants that take AMEX in Canada. Thank you

Restaurants that take AMEX:
1. FreshSlice, Richmond, B.C.
2. Empire Seafood Restaurant, Richmond, B.C.
3. Turtle Jack's, GTA, O.N.
4. Annalena, Vancouver, B.C.
5. Wildebeest, Vancouver, B.C.
6. PiDGiN, Vancouver, B.C.
7. Uncle Fatih's Pizza, Vancouver, B.C.
8. Black + Blue, Vancouver, B.C.
9. Blue Water Cafe, Vancouver, B.C.
10. Coast, Vancouver, B.C.
11. West, Vancouver, B.C.
12. Minami, Vancouver, B.C.
13. Chambar, Vancouver, B.C.
14. Boulevard Kitchen & Oyster Bar, Vancouver, B.C.
15. Yew seafood + bar, Vancouver, B.C.
16. Hawksworth, Vancouver, B.C.
17. Italian Kitchen, Vancouver, B.C.
18. Joe Fortes Seafood, Vancouver, B.C.
19. Market by Jean-Georges, Vancouver, B.C.
20. Cin Cin, Vancouver, B.C.
21. Miku, Vancouver, B.C.
22. ARC, Vancouver, B.C.
23. ORU, Vancouver, B.C.
24. Blue Water Cafe, Vancouver, B.C.

Last edited by cooliomonkey; Jul 3, 2016 at 11:12 pm Reason: Adding more restaurants :)
Old May 27, 2016, 5:04 am

Last time in Canada on business when we had to use a corporate AMEX for expenses, I'm pretty sure that we hit a couple of the restaurants on AMEX's list. The vendor covered most of our meals but one other that isn't on its list where we used the AMEX was Turtle Jack's. Whether that is a good option or not is, of course, up to you to decide.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: Amex Plat CAN
Before trying to answer your question, why do you want this list? If you want to only visit restaurants that take Amex, I would advise against it. You'll be missing out on a lot of gems.

To vaguely answer your question, I'm based in YYZ and occasionally travel to YVR for work. Almost any restaurant in the downtown core for both cities that has over 15-20 tables takes Amex. It's almost guaranteed that any chain restaurant will take Amex. When you go outside the downtown core is when you'll start getting more hit and miss, especially when it comes to ethnic cuisines.

When I dine downtown, I use Amex over 90% of the time.

Most restaurants will have stickers on the front door telling you what forms of payments are accepted.

Last edited by Kendryk; May 27, 2016 at 6:22 am
Old May 27, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I don't think you could compile an authoritative list of restaurants in Canada that accept Amex without taking days out of your life to do it. Bottom line, most chains and bigger restaurants accept it, smaller ones generally don't, with many exceptions in both categories.
Old May 28, 2016, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There are probably (tens of?) thousands of restaurants in Canada that take Amex. The list would be unwieldy and rather pointless.

If you really want to know whether a restaurant takes Amex, use Google. For example "Restaurant Toronto Bay Street American Express"

I don't know what card you have or how you use your App, but I have a 'My Platinum' feature on the app which has, among others, a 'Dining' section which lists restaurants near me that take Amex. I can enter a city, country, map, etc.

Last edited by LondonElite; May 28, 2016 at 5:33 am
Old May 30, 2016, 6:39 am

You can get around the non acceptance of Amex if the restaurant accepts Tab payment. I found this works well with the smaller, hipster restaurants who eschew the higher swipe fees.

Last edited by iMedic; May 30, 2016 at 10:57 am
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Accor Plat, Dynasty Flyer Gold, Etihad Guest Gold
Originally Posted by Kendryk
Before trying to answer your question, why do you want this list? .
I'm new to AMEX (Canada) so I'm just wondering if its worth a while holding to this card. If most of restaurants take AMEX then I might use this card for the following year since i dine out a lot.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If you really want to know whether a restaurant takes Amex, use Google. For example "Restaurant Toronto Bay Street American Express"
I did try google even foursquare and yellowpages. However, sometimes the restaurant does not really take AMEX when yellowpages/foursquare said so.

I have same card as you, but sadly the platinum dining partner is quite limited, so I'm trying to get input from you guys Cheers.

Originally Posted by iMedic
You can get around the non acceptance of Amex if the restaurant accepts Tab payment.
OMGGGG!! This app is so cool thanks for sharing with us. Does the app charges a fee though? I'm based in B.C. so i didn't have a chance to try it out. I'm definitely gonna try some of those restaurants when I'm in Toronto or Montreal. ^

Last edited by mia; Jul 4, 2016 at 5:33 am Reason: Consolidate consecutive replies & prune quotations for context.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by cooliomonkey
OMGGGG!! This app is so cool thanks for sharing with us. Does the app charges a fee though? I'm based in B.C. so i didn't have a chance to try it out. I'm definitely gonna try some of those restaurants when I'm in Toronto or Montreal. ^
Nope, haven't encountered any service fees. Not sure what their fee structure is like for the merchant, but I'm going to assume it's not much higher than most swipe fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.