Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mbfanos
Close all your MR cards, then open a new one.
Yup
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
bought car/dealer say so Amex

I was going to put a large deposit down on the car I am buying. I need to do 10K spend for bonus on Biz Plat.
But, the dealer doesn't take Amex. I was considering buying a bunch of Visa GC from supermarkets but I am reading this thread and have qualms about large purchase. Is there any actual history of Amex investigating actual items purchased?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Originally Posted by thebat
Is there any actual history of Amex investigating actual items purchased?
Have you even read the this thread? They're cracking down on cash equivalents, although this thread is mostly specific to the leaked May Amex plat personal link.

I think it's fair to say that conventional wisdom is you should avoid using cash equivalents to meet min spends on Amex at the current time.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:39 am

HELP!!

Originally Posted by LizGross144
Have you even read the this thread? They're cracking down on cash equivalents, although this thread is mostly specific to the leaked May Amex plat personal link.
Yes, I've read the thread. There is a lot of contradictory information and it is being confused more by the fact that this thread is about a link that existed in May that shouldn't have been used by the general public. It is becoming a mega-thread with many issues being presented, not all of which deal with MS.

I'm sending a note to Mia to ask if we can start another thread to discuss how Amex is treating MS, especially using GC's.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I've read the thread. There is a lot of contradictory information and it is being confused more by the fact that this thread is about a link that existed in May that shouldn't have been used by the general public. It is becoming a mega-thread with many issues being presented, not all of which deal with MS.

I'm sending a note to Mia to ask if we can start another thread to discuss how Amex is treating MS, especially using GC's.
So AMEX can easily monitor such discussion? Such a brilliant idea.

If you feel confused, jot down notes as you read DPs you felt useful and then referred back later. You know how to display a single post, dont you? Get that single post URL, copy/paste to whatever app you want to use for this purpose and titled the Notes appropriately. Just go back to read them when in doubt. Confused no more.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Happy
So AMEX can easily monitor such discussion? Such a brilliant idea.
We are not going to discuss Amex and MS?? I see by your post number you are not new here so I have to ask: What do you think we are talking about here?
If you are afraid of Amex monitoring these boards, it's time to go dark because that ship is long gone.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
I can say that based on this thread, people buying GCs to meet min spend are not having good luck with Platinum bonuses. My points were caught up in the freeze as well (along with my husbands), but we didn't not buy any GCs. Our min spend was met with 100% traditional credit card spending. We never had our points deducted, and eventually they were unfrozen. I haven't seen anyone who bought GCs reports that.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by BigManOnCampus1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfanos
Close all your MR cards, then open a new one.
Yup
Have you opened a new one? I heard that they will still use the same MR account
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by esplove
Have you opened a new one? I heard that they will still use the same MR account
Anytime someone closes all cards, and then later opens a new one, a new MR # is generated.

Last edited by TMM1982; Nov 18, 2016 at 1:48 pm
Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are not going to discuss Amex and MS?? I see by your post number you are not new here so I have to ask: What do you think we are talking about here?
If you are afraid of Amex monitoring these boards, it's time to go dark because that ship is long gone.
Since you are confused with various data points posted, we can assume that the monitors could also be confused if they are lacking of analytical skills or even basic skills of taking notes.

By having a specific thread and do the 1-2-3 cliff note style as you wish, what do you think the outcome might be? Probably the last loopholes would be plugged. Is this what you want?

That is why people dont want to talk about specifics, and going in private groups.

Last edited by mia; Nov 18, 2016 at 6:21 pm Reason: Depersonalize
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by LizGross144
I can say that based on this thread, people buying GCs to meet min spend are not having good luck with Platinum bonuses. My points were caught up in the freeze as well (along with my husbands), but we didn't not buy any GCs. Our min spend was met with 100% traditional credit card spending. We never had our points deducted, and eventually they were unfrozen. I haven't seen anyone who bought GCs reports that.
I'm glad to hear you got your points back.

But still, your story demonstrates the problem with this issue: You didn't use MS. In fact, most of the people reporting problems didn't do MS and some that did, didn't do GCs. And no one could say without doubt that Amex knows that gift cards were used.

Anyway, I'm certainly not going to use GC's for my upcoming bonus spend but the issue has not been decided with certainty.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Is there any actual history of Amex investigating actual items purchased?
And no one could say without doubt that Amex knows that gift cards were used.
Speaking in general, and not in response to any particular clawback or bonus denial mentioned in this thread, Amex definitely knows in some cases that a transaction involved the purchase of gift cards. With some merchants on some purchases, there is enough detail in the original transaction record to tell them that gift cards were purchased, especially with business cards. So, in some cases, if Amex were to care, there's really not much of an "investigation" that must go on: they just look at the transaction record and don't need to contact the merchant or the cardholder to find out the nature of the transaction. It would not surprise me if at some point, this data were to automatically become part of the logic that decides when a bonus threshold has been met.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:34 pm

In fact, most of the people reporting problems didn't do MS and some that did, didn't do GCs. And no one could say without doubt that Amex knows that gift cards were used.
I have not kept statistics so I don't know about 'most'. But a lot of people who were ultimately denied did do some form of MS and many, many bought GCs. And I can say without doubt that Amex can tell when GCs were bought if they take the time to get and read the data they have access to.

Amex droped the ball here with freeze/denials for refunds, prior Platinums which were different products, and other issues. But the meat of their review was MSing GCs, which a lot of people did, despite the specific prohibition in the T&Cs.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
My biggest regret is not having read the T&C's... losing 100k points (and not being eligible to get the bonus again, at least untile the current T&C's stand) was hard - had I known, I would have transferred everything to my Aeroplan account. :-/
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: Herz PC, Gold Starwood, Platinum Holiday Inn
My claim notice was delivered today / picked up by Amex in NYC. (I am not ok with the clawback) so let see if Amex is willing to spend big $$$$ to save some points....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.