Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Well with the way Amex is under stress for losing Costco, maybe they'll relax the once per lifetime rule.
I think that is inevitable. Everyone is now going to wait out for the huge bonuses. Once that does not work any longer, they will have to relax the rule to keep cardholders.
Old May 13, 2016, 8:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The "rule" has already been relaxed through a series of targeted offers without the restrictive language. I imagine it will be a long while before American Express will abandon it for public offers because the Chase and Citi card factories have also adopted restrictive policies. These issuers are now focused on profit rather than market share.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest
I think that is inevitable. Everyone is now going to wait out for the huge bonuses.
That is a HUGE overstatement. If you're only going to signup for Plat when it is 100k then you're probably not the audience amex is looking to attract anyway. A huge chunk of this audience is probably just going to cost Amex money.

On the contrary, if someone is genuinely interested in holding plat then there are still pretty lucrative offers. If someone wants to try Plat before they buy it then there's 1st year AF waived version. You still get global entry fee waiver, priority pass, $200 annual credit, etc etc Alternatively, one could get Charles Schwab card, get all the perks of Plat, and at worst cash out MR for $500 right away.
Old May 13, 2016, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by runb4fun
That is a HUGE overstatement. If you're only going to signup for Plat when it is 100k then you're probably not the audience amex is looking to attract anyway. A huge chunk of this audience is probably just going to cost Amex money.
Indeed. I can't believe this even gets debated here.
Old May 13, 2016, 12:59 pm

Bummed the 100k is gone.

Last edited by compddd; May 13, 2016 at 1:17 pm
Old May 13, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
So here's the deal...I guess I misunderstood the once per lifetime via the platinum card to mean if you had never gotten the bonus before you'd be eligible. Since I had a platinum card back in 2012 (upgraded from gold) I guess I'm not going to receive these 100k Points.

So assuming that, what do I need to do, and how long can I hold onto this card before cancelling to receive the AF refund? I'll milk the $200 reimbursement and I have a delta trip in a week so I can hit the lounge. If I cancel in 30 or 45 days will I receive a $450 credit?

I still intend to make the $3k in purchases on the off chance the 100k shows up...
Old May 14, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Question

anybody have any luck signing up after the offer is dead and PMing customer service to get them to match the 100K offer since it was only 2 days ago?

similar to what chase matches offers a few days after you miss them, anybody have any luck with AMEX?
Old May 14, 2016, 12:22 am
Suspended

No chance. This was never supposed to be public.
Old May 14, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flymax77
anybody have any luck signing up after the offer is dead and PMing customer service to get them to match the 100K offer since it was only 2 days ago?

similar to what chase matches offers a few days after you miss them, anybody have any luck with AMEX?
Yeah there's no way.
Old May 14, 2016, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by runb4fun

On the contrary, if someone is genuinely interested in holding plat then there are still pretty lucrative offers. If someone wants to try Plat before they buy it then there's 1st year AF waived version. You still get global entry fee waiver, priority pass, $200 annual credit, etc etc Alternatively, one could get Charles Schwab card, get all the perks of Plat, and at worst cash out MR for $500 right away.
Agree. Love the delusionals that believe otherwise.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by jags86
So here's the deal...I guess I misunderstood the once per lifetime via the platinum card to mean if you had never gotten the bonus before you'd be eligible. Since I had a platinum card back in 2012 (upgraded from gold) I guess I'm not going to receive these 100k Points.

So assuming that, what do I need to do, and how long can I hold onto this card before cancelling to receive the AF refund? I'll milk the $200 reimbursement and I have a delta trip in a week so I can hit the lounge. If I cancel in 30 or 45 days will I receive a $450 credit?

I still intend to make the $3k in purchases on the off chance the 100k shows up...
I may be getting my card issuers mixed up, but I thought the rule was that you couldn't get the bonus twice, but if a higher bonus came out, you could get the difference. E.g., if you had card x and received a bonus of 50K for it and later got approved for a second card x which offered a bonus of 75K, you would get 25K on the second.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by LWT3
I may be getting my card issuers mixed up, but I thought the rule was that you couldn't get the bonus twice, but if a higher bonus came out, you could get the difference. E.g., if you had card x and received a bonus of 50K for it and later got approved for a second card x which offered a bonus of 75K, you would get 25K on the second.
No.
Old May 17, 2016, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
No.
Are you sure?

American Express

As of May 1st, 2014 it’s only possible to get each credit card bonus once per lifetime on personal cards. If there is a sign up bonus that is higher than the bonus you received then you can apply again and receive the incremental difference (e.g if you originally sign up for a card and it has a bonus of 40k points and then cancel your account, if the bonus suddenly jumps to 100k points you’d receive 60k points which is the incremental difference).

As of February 25th, 2016 it’s also only possible to get each credit card bonus once per lifetime. Not sure if the same incremental difference applies to business cards as well.

All that being said, sometimes targeted offers do not include the once per lifetime language, in that case you can get the sign up bonus again.
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/list-o...-credit-cards/
Old May 17, 2016, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Amex almost never matches bonuses for new applicants — e.g., person applies for 50k offer and then a 60k offer goes public the next day — so it seems unlikely it would encourage churning by giving the difference to a person who closes and then reapplies.

Might have been true in the past, but it's almost assuredly dead now.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Amex almost never matches bonuses for new applicants .
When they do it seems to be on co-branded cards (DL, HH, SPG). It may be a policy that is set in conjunction with the partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.