FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   "Grey Market" For Amex RSVP Codes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1754564-grey-market-amex-rsvp-codes.html)

zer0k1 Mar 20, 2016 11:34 am

"Grey Market" For Amex RSVP Codes

If one used a 150k Business Platinum RSVP code purchased on the grey market, do you think they would be less likely to become targeted for this offer themselves in the future? Or perhaps more likely to be targeting for an offer without language?

Ariredso Mar 21, 2016 7:10 pm

"Grey Market" For Amex RSVP Codes

Hi,

I recently purchase both a 150k Business Platinum RSVP code and a 100k Personal Platinum 1-time usage link on the "grey market". Everything went well and I was approved for both (on the same day = 1 pull :D). Anyway, I didn't really think about how safe it was to use them since I was so excited to find a way to get these offers without being targetted. Is there any way the seller could see my personal information since I used an RSVP that he gave me? What if the seller calls Amex and asks why the RSVP code says used now even though he didn't apply for the card?

I know these things are probably just me being paranoid, but I didn't really see it discusses much on the forum (yes I searched) and so many people are buying these codes on the "grey market" I figured that people should be aware if they are compromising their personal information.... Am I just being paranoid?

Truth be told, I'm really just asking because I am about to get an 80k BRG RSVP code and I just want to make sure its safe before I get 3 "targeted" offers ^

zer0k1 Mar 21, 2016 8:21 pm

You'll be happy to hear that your concerns are baseless :) Amex would never give out personal info like that over the phone, nor can the person who sold them to you somehow see your personal info. You are good to go! -spoken from experience

mia Mar 21, 2016 8:24 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk.

I would return to americanexpress.com, using an incognito or private browser, and proceed as if I were going to apply again using the same RSVP code. Whatever the system displays after you enter the code should be what anyone else would see if entering the same code.

Ariredso Mar 21, 2016 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 26367243)
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I would return to americanexpress.com, using an incognito or private browser, and proceed as if I were going to apply again using the same RSVP code. Whatever the system displays after you enter the code should be what anyone else would see if entering the same code.

Lol I see your point - the code is now used, i.e. no info is displayed!

Mbcijim10 Mar 21, 2016 11:33 pm

When you enter the code it auto completes - for the targeted code persons info. I gave one away, I was a little concerned about the person I gave it to having my info.

So we're worried about you too.

zer0k1 Mar 22, 2016 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10 (Post 26367830)
When you enter the code it auto completes - for the targeted code persons info. I gave one away, I was a little concerned about the person I gave it to having my info.

So we're worried about you too.

Good point but the info Amex picks up in order to send out these codes in the first place is all publicly accessible info for whois lookups etc. No "personal info" per se

Intertraffic Mar 22, 2016 12:13 pm

Interesting. Any tips on where to get these codes? Please PM if you don't want to post here. Thanks!

mia Mar 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1 (Post 26370448)
... all publicly accessible info for whois lookups etc. No "personal info" per se

Business RSVP codes have been easier to transfer than personal codes, perhaps because American Express has less confidence in the quality of their data. Nonetheless, American Express could compare the original information for an RSVP invitation to the information of the person who used it, and if they see that a single individual used RSVP codes intended for several different people it won't take much imagination for them to figure out what has occurred.

Large enterprises move slowly (perhaps because someone's bonus depends on new accounts, and she doesn't initially care who applies), but when they tighten up it's a game of musical chairs and someone is left holding the worthless code.

MSPeconomist Mar 22, 2016 12:33 pm

If the seller sells the code to multiple people, it should be easy for AmEx to detect this and at least claw back the points, if not also cancel the cards.

zer0k1 Mar 22, 2016 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 26370803)
If the seller sells the code to multiple people, it should be easy for AmEx to detect this and at least claw back the points, if not also cancel the cards.

False. The codes cannot be used multiple times.

Actually, they used to be that way, until they ended up on all the blogs and Amex changed the system.

You really believe if this were possible that FlyerTalk wouldn't be flooded with RSVP codes?! @:-)

mia Mar 22, 2016 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 26370803)
... claw back the points, if not also cancel the cards.

This is not their style. They might withhold points that have not been awarded, but their focus is on closing the loophole while retaining the ability to extend targeted offers.

zer0k1 Mar 22, 2016 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 26370903)
This is not their style. They might withhold points that have not been awarded, but their focus is on closing the loophole while retaining the ability to extend targeted offers.

Exactly. I would be absolutely shocked if they went for a claw back approach, it'll never happen IMO.

g8trgr8t Mar 22, 2016 3:17 pm

do these codes have the 1x per lifetime language in the offers?

Aerosfire Mar 22, 2016 3:19 pm

So where can I find the "grey market"? Looking for a 100k plat personal code...for a friend.