Where to park 150k MR points?

Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Lightbulb Where to park 150k MR points?

Through my corporate card, I've racked almost 150k MR points, but I'm likely changing jobs soon. What's my best bet to park my points?

Some considerations:
  • Only other Amex card is Everyday Cash Back, which cannot be converted to the Everyday MR card
  • I have cards with other issuers (Freedom, Marriott Premier, US Bank REI, Travel Rewards BoA)
  • I may apply for a mortgage in the next three months, so I'm trying to avoid new card applications unless absolutely necessary
  • I don't have trips planned soon (and I have more than enough airline and hotel miles/points to cover them)
  • I got an offer for the Gold Rewards Card 50K points after $5000 spend in three months, though I'm not sure I'd even be able to hit that spend and I wouldn't use it enough to break even with the annual fee
  • Trying also to avoid annual fees, unless perks outweigh them
  • My spend is under $20k a year

Do you have any ideas? What's my best bet?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL FO
I think your best bet may be to bite the bullet and apply for the Everyday MR card (no annual fee). Personally, I'd rather have an additional inquiry on my CR than lose out on 150k MR points, but your situation may be different. As long you have any MR card open (and tied to your current account with the balance of 150k), your points will not expire. See here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nup-bonus.html
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by BringBackTWA
I think your best bet may be to bite the bullet and apply for the Everyday MR card (no annual fee). Personally, I'd rather have an additional inquiry on my CR than lose out on 150k MR points, but your situation may be different. As long you have any MR card open (and tied to your current account with the balance of 150k), your points will not expire. See here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nup-bonus.html
+1 Although my reasons are different.

1. Your mortgage originator can mitigate your new inquiry issue, as your credit report is reviewed manually. So long you are able to explain it (and accepted by the originator), the worrying is a non-issue.

2. As always, the true value miles, points, etc. depends on the redemption. In that case, no program per se meets OP's need, especially given OP is silent on the issue as well.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
No fee Everyday is the logical answer here.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
2. As always, the true value miles, points, etc. depends on the redemption. In that case, no program per se meets OP's need, especially given OP is silent on the issue as well.
Ideally, I'd like to redeem these points for a first class international trip to get the most out of them. But I don't have a desired itinerary nor time to travel in the near future and I'm still trying to burn AA miles before they're devalued next week. That's why outright transferring them to an airline is not an option. Should I consider this?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mbece
...What's my best bet to park my points?
...outright transferring them to an airline is not an option.
I think you have answered your own question. The only ways to "park" the balance are to transfer to an airline/hotel program or to apply for another card which earns Membership Rewards. The only card that will accomplish this without an annual fee is the Everyday card. Just make sure it is linked to the same Membership Rewards account before the Corporate card is closed.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
I think you have answered your own question. The only ways to "park" the balance are to transfer to an airline/hotel program or to apply for another card which earns Membership Rewards. The only card that will accomplish this without an annual fee is the Everyday card. Just make sure it is linked to the same Membership Rewards account before the Corporate card is closed.
Makes sense, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking other alternatives.

While the 50k targeted bonus for the premier good looks tempting, it's likely I won't event hit the required spend so makes more sense to go with the Everyday card.

Thank y'all for the input!
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Move them to BA, and fly AA short hops...use your AA miles for the international trips...
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by satman40
Move them to BA, and fly AA short hops...use your AA miles for the international trips...
This may be a good option, but for now I have some Southwest points which I use to fly domestic in the US or back home to Mexico.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by satman40
The OP is in Austin (per their FT Profile), and BA Avios for AA trips is only a good value usually for shorter nonstop hops. And there aren't so many of those available from Austin, because it's close enough to DFW that most routes get routed through DFW (but far enough away and with enough traffic for there to be frequent mainline-jet nonstops to DFW for further connections).
Old Mar 16, 2016, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch

The OP is in Austin (per their FT Profile), and BA Avios for AA trips is only a good value usually for shorter nonstop hops. And there aren't so many of those available from Austin, because it's close enough to DFW that most routes get routed through DFW (but far enough away and with enough traffic for there to be frequent mainline-jet nonstops to DFW for further connections).
Yes, I'm in Austin so petty much all short AA flights require a hop to DFW. Thanks for pointing this out -I'm not familiar with BA's ff program and wasn't aware it would only make sense for no stops.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Ideally, I'd like to redeem these points for a first class international trip to get the most out of them. But I don't have a desired itinerary nor time to travel in the near future and I'm still trying to burn AA miles before they're devalued next week. That's why outright transferring them to an airline is not an option. Should I consider this?
Ideally, the best AMEX transfer partner for F INTL award is SQ (CX F award is better paired with AA miles). So you can transfer to SQ ahead if you want.

But once transferred, your converted miles will be subject to the expiration policy.

So ideally, it is not wise to transfer when you don't have a plan yet.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But once transferred, your converted miles will be subject to the expiration policy.
For which a resource is the wiki in this thread:
which shows that Singapore Airlines (SQ) has hard (unextendable) 3-year expiration .
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Quote:

For which a resource is the wiki in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nt-expire.html (in the MilesBuzz forum)which shows that Singapore Airlines (SQ) has hard (unextendable) 3-year expiration .
Because I don't now how much time off I'll have once I start my new job I don't have plans for specific trips, I'm trying to avoid transferring to an airline (plus it may make it more difficult to redeem to my chosen destination once if I pick the "wrong" program).

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Everyday card.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If you're thinking about getting the Amex Everyday MR card give a second look at the Gold Premier Rewards card. The 50k points is a good offer if you can hit the spending, 100$ annual (2 years with 1 annual fee) airline fee reimbursement is a good feature, it's a charge instead of credit card which if you have a good relationship they may not even run your credit. Amex granted me my Gold card from Green because I have been a member since I was 18 and never missed a payment on either my Green nor my Everyday MR. Also you don't pay the annual fee the first year. So you have a year of free use to figure out your plan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.