Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [Expired]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [Expired]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
asking again: has Amex ever pulled a special offer before announced deadline? Just wondering what's the chance they pull it before Mar 30.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by italdesign
asking again: has Amex ever pulled a special offer before announced deadline? Just wondering what's the chance they pull it before Mar 30.
Most likely not.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Sure, but they may defer processing one of the applications for five days. Read more here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-same-day.html
Thanks mia, seems like there are conflicting datapoints. I am wondering if I should get one now and wait until the 30th of March for the business rather than both on the same day. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Last edited by exoticfusion; Mar 4, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Interesting

Noticed the new offer posted here late last night on west coast.
For background, my wife and I received 25k end of December with new SPG cards. They then gave us 3k bonus points each when I called to ask a question shortly thereafter.
Last night I chatted online and they gave me 1,500 when I mentioned we recently received the 25k said they could not match another 10k points. I went back in to chat using my wife's acct and the rep was not as friendly but said she would submit the request for 1,500 points since I received them.
I then called their 800# and the rep immediately asked how can I make you smile today. I told him the situation with the new card and he said he would will give me the extra 10k in points if I was smiling. I told him I was smiling and he said in that case I will give you another 1k. I then asked about my wife's account and he said he could only give her 5k in points since he was at some sort of limit. Haven't had her call in yet to see if she can get the extra 5k or even 10k since they don't seem to be keeping tabs of bonus points they are offering from my calls. Just wanted to share.
The extra 12,500 points are showing up on my Amex acct page already not sure if they are officially in my SPG acct yet.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...h_calling_and/

Last edited by StatusChallenged; Mar 4, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Old Mar 4, 2016, 3:53 pm

I did not see any explicit language excluding those who had once had this card. Is there much hope for those who had once had it, and what is the best way to find out if you are eligible without actually applying?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by ed765
I did not see any explicit language excluding those who had once had this card. Is there much hope for those who had once had it, and what is the best way to find out if you are eligible without actually applying?
What do you consider explicit?

OFFER TERMS

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
/\ LMAO.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:45 am

what if they come up with a 40k point offer after a few months , like in September, which is when they usually had promotion in the past?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: Enough
Spouse just approved for 25K a couple days previous. Haven't even received card yet. Called AMEX (using plat card as call-in #), spoke to lady. She said can't match offer because they have no control over SPG points (right...). Asked if they can make up difference in MR instead? On hold for about 10 seconds, she says 10K MR deposited into plat account. Pretty happy with that
Old Mar 5, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
what if they come up with a 40k point offer after a few months , like in September, which is when they usually had promotion in the past?
The merger with Marriott is schedule to close during the summer. So by September, how SPG will be merged into Marriott (and thus disappear on its own) could start being announced. Who knows which direction it might take Amex once its public that the SPG program itself has a "drop dead" date announced?

I'm not saying its certain that there's going to be official death news for the SPG program (and the Amex as an SPG card anyway) announced by September, but I don't see it can be ruled out either.

So I'm not sure whether you can use the past as predictor for the future with the SPG Amex.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
So I'm not sure whether you can use the past as predictor for the future with the SPG Amex.
Exactly. If you want the SPG points now seems like as good a time as any to get the card. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a higher offer.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:38 pm

Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

I had the SPG personal and business in September 2013 but the personal one was closed a long time ago and the business one was converted to another product. Called customer service and asked to confirm if I ever had any SPG card, personal or business. They told me that I never had SPG as a primary card holder on their system but they found that I was an authorized user on 3 SPG cards which is true as I was on my relatives' accounts. The question is should I apply the personal SPG card now?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
What if they don't? It's a gamble. I'm happy with this offer so I'll go for it. If a better offer comes later, call and request match.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Does anyone know how long it takes for cancelled AMEX credit cards to fall off your AMEX record?

I had 4 AMEX CCs and cancelled 2 on Thursday 3/3 in an effort to apply for both SPG Personal and SPG Business. Every time I apply my applications are cancelled due to "having reached the limit of number of card accounts we will approve at this time".

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are. I tried again today--applications are still insta cancelled.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 10:05 pm

Matched for 35k

Hey guys!

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread, but Amex is matching for the 35k offer even in extraordinary cases.

I was approved for SPG personal with 30k bonus back in August 2015. Online chat representative had me call in to the retention department, who gave me an additional 5k points. I have put about $25k in spend on the card since opening.

This thread on Reddit shows that persistence may be needed:
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...r_me_via_chat/

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.