Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rasheed
A list of multi-location physical retailers that appear to have not properly implemented AmEx contactless (physical card contactless/tap). Usually, this means the tap was accepted (some type of beep), but the response comes back as either Not Authorized/Not Recognized or to specifically insert the chip. We can remove or cross-out as the issue is resolved/fixed.

New Balance retail stores (7/2019)
Delta Galil retail stores (7/2019)
Kroger supermarkets (7/2019)

In most cases, especially the metal contactless, the "back-side" of the card must be placed closest to the screen or green lights area for the contactless chip signal to be triggered and read.
Print Wikipost

American Express USA contactless cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Speaking of the PRG, I applied for and got one last week. AmEx still seems to be defaulting to cards without contactless support for new accounts. Unfortunately, AmEx forces you to wait ten days before they can send replacement cards--and CS can't override just to add contactless. Apple Pay seems to work well enough for the time being though.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:40 am
ddu

Originally Posted by mia
This is the first report I have seen of a USA-issued charge card with the contactless feature.

Provided you use the same physical card for each journey, the London Underground billing is capped daily when using a contactless payment card, same as if you were using an Oystercard. You will see a single charge on your credit card for each day, not for for each journey.

The primary advantage is simplicity. One less card to keep track of. The tradeoff is that you need to keep your credit card readily accessible.
my last zync replacement also has emv and contactless. But my new gold premier received this month has no contactless.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:03 am

Just received a personal Platinum card. The new card was not contactless. As mentioned, you have to wait 10 days to request a card with contactless feature. I requested and received the contactless card.

BTW, all Amex cards are now EMV chip cards, but not all come with contactless in addition to EMV chip.

Transport for London (TFL) promotes the use of contactless cards instead of Oyster in the London Tube. They have posters in most stations promoting using your contactless card by noting you don't have to stand in a line to reload your credit card. Contactless cards have a weekly fare cap as well, unlike Oyster which only has a monthly fare cap.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Today I received a number of renewal cards for additional cardholders on my London-based International Dollar Card (IDC) account. They were all Platinum cards and had the contactless payment included. That must make the ICC Dollar cards the first AMEX product that have both contactless payment and Chip & PIN. Since none of the Centurion cards renewed, I cannot say whether they have yet added the contactless payment to the metal card but I assume at least their supplementary black plastic card for the main cardholder would provide the contactless payment if the plastic Platinum cards offer it. I hope the Chip & PIN will ultimately come to U.S. card accounts. It is nice pay with a PIN at U.S. merchants that are now using the chip reader.

Last edited by LAXRuss; Feb 29, 2016 at 1:03 pm
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by jbarm

Transport for London (TFL) promotes the use of contactless cards instead of Oyster in the London Tube. They have posters in most stations promoting using your contactless card by noting you don't have to stand in a line to reload your credit card. Contactless cards have a weekly fare cap as well, unlike Oyster which only has a monthly fare cap.
SEPTA in Philadelphia is introducing the same system this year. Youll be able to use their card or a credit card with contactless.

I might request one to replace my PRG because chip and sig takes forever at some places and contactless supposedly is faster
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXRuss
Today I received a number of renewal cards for additional cardholders on my London-based International Dollar Card (IDC) account. They were all Platinum cards and had the contactless payment included. That must make the ICC Dollar cards the first AMEX product that have both contactless payment and Chip & PIN. Since none of the Centurion cards renewed, I cannot say whether they have yet added the contactless payment to the metal card but I assume at least their supplementary black plastic card for the main cardholder would provide the contactless payment if the plastic Platinum cards offer it. I hope the Chip & PIN will ultimately come to U.S. card accounts. It is nice pay with a PIN at U.S. merchants that are now using the chip reader.
We'll see. AmEx still only issues contactless on an opt-in basis in the US (and doesn't market it much), possibly because people here would really freak out if it was there by default. There's also the possibility that they're putting all their cards in Apple and Android Pay instead, with the contactless option potentially going away from physical cards altogether.

I also think PIN will likely never come to US AmEx cards (or really most any credit card for that matter) but that's a different discussion.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
FYI, after receiving a contactless card with PIN & Chip with my UK-based AMEX, I called U.S. AMEX Delta Skymiles and they confirmed that they are now upgrading their Chip & Signature cards to Contactless payment + Chip and Signature upon request. They told me upon the request that I would receive the replacement card via overnight air.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I requested a new contactless card over live chat last night. Didn't seem to have much trouble explaining to the CSR what I needed and I managed to get it expedited via UPS for free. Hopefully the card actually arrives with that functionality; it took something like 3-4 attempts before I got a BCE card with contactless when I first requested it so I'm a bit skeptical.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:21 am

I called Platinum Customer Service and asked for a contactless card, she had NO idea what she was talking about.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
I called Platinum Customer Service and asked for a contactless card, she had NO idea what she was talking about.
I'm in a live chat with a web representative right now. He had no problem sending me a new card, and the card number will remain the same to boot.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by jhartvu
I'm in a live chat with a web representative right now. He had no problem sending me a new card, and the card number will remain the same to boot.
I got contactless Amex Plat and Amex Delta Plat recently (see my post elsewhere on this thread). The numbers remained the same, but the four digit code changed on both cards.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
SEPTA in Philadelphia is introducing the same system this year. Youll be able to use their card or a credit card with contactless.
Yes, contactless credit cards work right now on the Chicago transit Ventra system, SEPTA (eventually, they are having problems), DC Metro (eventually, they are having problems) and Utah Transit Authority (the pioneer in accepting contactless credit cards).

Contactless credit cards are ideal for transit because you don't have to use vending machines to reload transit cards or pay with cash (I'm looking at you Clippercard and Muni SF). Avoiding queuing up to refill an Oyster card in the Tube is priceless.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jbarm
Avoiding queuing up to refill an Oyster card in the Tube is priceless.
You can top up your Oyster card online you know. And if they don't have an app for that they probably will someday.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:18 pm

So can someone point out the technicals on the contactless card? Besides being a form of RFID that is comprised of a inductor and capacitor that resonate when hit with a certain RF frequency. What prevents someone from scraping the card holder data with a portable RF emitter and RF reader? Is their a cutoff on payment amount that makes it not worth the trouble for crooks since much fruit is lower hanging? Yes I know I can wrap my card in foil or waste a bunch of money on a faraday wallet.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Centurion
So can someone point out the technicals on the contactless card? Besides being a form of RFID that is comprised of a inductor and capacitor that resonate when hit with a certain RF frequency. What prevents someone from scraping the card holder data with a portable RF emitter and RF reader? Is their a cutoff on payment amount that makes it not worth the trouble for crooks since much fruit is lower hanging? Yes I know I can wrap my card in foil or waste a bunch of money on a faraday wallet.
The range is only a couple of inches at best, plus there's a significant paper trail to get a terminal/merchant account in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.