Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of: Amex (USA) Sync Offers 2012 - 2015

Click HERE to be notified when this thread is updated.
Print Wikipost

Amex (USA) Sync Offers 2016-2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by margarita girl

I’m staying at legacy SPG properties. Pretty sure they’re going to tell me they can’t accept (or they don’t know how to process) Marriott cards. Then we can negotiate on whether I have to pay the credit card surcharge.
I went to Thailand last month, in Bangkok the Athenee (SPG) didn't take Marriott GCs. In Phuket, the Nai Yang Beach resort did take the Marriott GCs and since it is Marriott currency there is no additional fee, just straight conversion.

Same at a Marriott in Bogota, no exchange fee.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mhdena
...., just straight conversion.

What currency exchange rate was applied?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
What currency exchange rate was applied?
It was the same as my "Units Plus" app, so I didn't mind. I asked would there be an exchange fee and was told since its an internal Marriott currency there was no additional fee.
808traveler likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mhdena
I went to Thailand last month, in Bangkok the Athenee (SPG) didn't take Marriott GCs. In Phuket, the Nai Yang Beach resort did take the Marriott GCs and since it is Marriott currency there is no additional fee, just straight conversion.

Same at a Marriott in Bogota, no exchange fee.
According to the FAQ, Luxury Collection is supposed to accept gift cards.

https://gifts.marriott.com/faq.html

I had an instance at Delta Toronto Airport where they wanted to take my gift cards, but didn’t know how. Agent was convinced it would be processed as Cdn $ instead of USD (which I highly doubt). I just told them to not worry about it and paid with Amex. The next day I got an email from the GM apologizing and offering me 7500 Bonbon pts as compensation. OK, thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl

According to the FAQ, Luxury Collection is supposed to accept gift cards.

https://gifts.marriott.com/faq.html

I had an instance at Delta Toronto Airport where they wanted to take my gift cards, but didn’t know how. Agent was convinced it would be processed as Cdn $ instead of USD (which I highly doubt). I just told them to not worry about it and paid with Amex. The next day I got an email from the GM apologizing and offering me 7500 Bonbon pts as compensation. OK, thanks!
I was at the Athenee Feb 10-15 when the Bonvoy rolled out, So good to see they are now accepted at most of the SPG properties now.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:05 pm

Regarding the Marriott offer, will prepaid rate trigger the credit if the charge shown up during the promotion period?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by neuro0
Regarding the Marriott offer, will prepaid rate trigger the credit if the charge shown up during the promotion period?
Unlike Hilton, which processes prepaid stays through a central clearinghouse for all properties, Marriott AMEX offers should be okay as they are charged by the hotel itself as merchant.
808traveler likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Headed Down Under?

DETAILS

Get a one-time $150 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend $700+ on purchases made directly at qantas.com by 6/30/2019. Purchase must be made on Qantas’ US website in USD. Flights must originate in US. See terms for exclusions.

T&C state that supplemental costs, such as baggage fee, seat selection, etc. should only qualify as spending if included in the ticket booking, not a subsequently charged add-on.

Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:49 am

$100 off Hilton Mexico stays of $500 or more

Targeted offer came out in February i believe. Does anyone know the last time Amex had a Hilton Mexico offer prior to this one? I don't have a HHonors CC, and I stupidly saved the offer on my BBP, which has a foreign transaction fee of course. I was thinking of getting the HHonors biz card and using it to pay for a Hilton Mexico stay in late July, and i was wondering what the chances might be of another Hilton Mexico offer coming out later this year.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Unlike Hilton, which processes prepaid stays through a central clearinghouse for all properties, Marriott AMEX offers should be okay as they are charged by the hotel itself as merchant.
Pardon my ignorance, but you're basically saying prepaid Hilton stays won't trigger the credit if the stay is outside the amex promotion period, right?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 808traveler
Pardon my ignorance, but you're basically saying prepaid Hilton stays won't trigger the credit if the stay is outside the amex promotion period, right?
I'm saying that all Hilton prepaid rates are non-qualifying. Final charges for incidentals during those stays as billed by the individual hotel should, however, qualify towards spending.
kevin4lee and 808traveler like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:42 pm

So, I had an offer for spending $300 at a Kimpton and I had a trip coming up and it had a nice Kimpton, so I booked it. Total estimated rate, with taxes and everything, was $297. So, I bought a $4 diet coke from the minibar and asked them to put it on my bill, which the guy did. Later, when I'm at the airport, I look at my bill and apparently they gave me a credit of $4 equal to my minibar charge, as some kind of nice Kimpton minibar promotion, which is very nice and unexpected but apparently a Kimpton thing, except I didn't know about it because I don't stay at Kimptons unless I have an Amex offer.

So, anyway, I ended up $3 short and my free diet coke ended up costing me $57. Is there any solution here? I can't exactly call up the hotel and ask them to charge me another $3. There's a Kimpton near where I live. Can I spend $3 there on something or whatever and get the credit or am I just screwed?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
So, I had an offer for spending $300 at a Kimpton and I had a trip coming up and it had a nice Kimpton, so I booked it. Total estimated rate, with taxes and everything, was $297. So, I bought a $4 diet coke from the minibar and asked them to put it on my bill, which the guy did. Later, when I'm at the airport, I look at my bill and apparently they gave me a credit of $4 equal to my minibar charge, as some kind of nice Kimpton minibar promotion, which is very nice and unexpected but apparently a Kimpton thing, except I didn't know about it because I don't stay at Kimptons unless I have an Amex offer.

So, anyway, I ended up $3 short and my free diet coke ended up costing me $57. Is there any solution here? I can't exactly call up the hotel and ask them to charge me another $3. There's a Kimpton near where I live. Can I spend $3 there on something or whatever and get the credit or am I just screwed?
Why not? Just call the first Kimpton and thank them, but tell them directly you need the precise $3 charge on your card for work purpose. It's a win-win situation for both parties.
IndyHoosier and 808traveler like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
For the Hilton offer of spend $250 get $50. It expires 5.30.19. I have a stay in early June. Anyone have experience with having the hotel charge a portion of the stay before as a deposit and having it trigger? I've done this for spg/marriott stays previously but was worried that pre-paid stays are not being reimbursed. Thoughts?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Goosh
For the Hilton offer of spend $250 get $50. It expires 5.30.19. I have a stay in early June. Anyone have experience with having the hotel charge a portion of the stay before as a deposit and having it trigger? I've done this for spg/marriott stays previously but was worried that pre-paid stays are not being reimbursed. Thoughts?
I did exactly that last month for my Hilton stay in June. I called up the hotel and asked to pre-pay $250 now by credit card. Used my amex card with the offer, got the $50 credit within 24 hours after the transaction posted.
robchow likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Goosh
Same for me; got a stay in mid-June.

Originally Posted by 808traveler
I did exactly that last month for my Hilton stay in June. I called up the hotel and asked to pre-pay $250 now by credit card. Used my amex card with the offer, got the $50 credit within 24 hours after the transaction posted.
Glad to see it work. I might as well try it; nothing to lose but possible gain of $50 credit.

Edit: I can't do this; my upcoming stay was booked on points. Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.