Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of: Amex (USA) Sync Offers 2012 - 2015

Click HERE to be notified when this thread is updated.
Print Wikipost

Amex (USA) Sync Offers 2016-2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I had Boxed on several cards, used it a few weeks ago on my SPG cards and noticed its not showing on any of the other cards I had it added to. Same for for a few other offers.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mhdena
I had Boxed on several cards, used it a few weeks ago on my SPG cards and noticed its not showing on any of the other cards I had it added to. Same for for a few other offers.
I called and asked if they could see the Boxed offer on my PRG card and they can see it is added, same with an additional card. So it seems to be a system glitch with this new layout.

They said they would forward the feedback to IT.

Last edited by mhdena; Jun 14, 2017 at 8:53 pm
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:51 am

Anyone know if Long Weekender rate (50% off Sunday) is eligible for $35 off $175 @ Hampton/Garden Inn offer?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pstrider85
Anyone know if Long Weekender rate (50% off Sunday) is eligible for $35 off $175 @ Hampton/Garden Inn offer?

Thanks in advance.
Amex doesn't see what hotel rate you have. If you have a Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn charge of >= $175 post to your card, you get the $35 statement credit.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dukerau
Amex doesn't see what hotel rate....
Also, American Express doesn't care. It's Hilton's money.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by dukerau
Amex doesn't see what hotel rate you have. If you have a Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn charge of >= $175 post to your card, you get the $35 statement credit.
The fine print says "...offer does not apply to advance purchases rates, including Advance Purchase, Save Now & Pay and Non-refundable rates..."

Since the long weekend offer is refundable and not an advance purchase, I just want to make sure it's eligible.

One last thing, does Hilton allow you to use 2 different credit cards to pay for the stay? (ie. stay 4 nights for $400 total but use Amex PRG to pay for $200 to get $35 credit, then pay the other $200 with my Citi Hilton reserve card, etc.)
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:10 am

JW Marriott on several cards including both SPG and SPGB.
Spend $200/$40 .... 9/5/17

Hilton UK Spend $500/$100 .... 10/31/17

Boxed 1 additional MR point .... 12/31/17
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fine print says "...offer does not apply to advance purchases rates, including Advance Purchase, Save Now & Pay and Non-refundable rates..."

Since the long weekend offer is refundable and not an advance purchase, I just want to make sure it's eligible.

One last thing, does Hilton allow you to use 2 different credit cards to pay for the stay? (ie. stay 4 nights for $400 total but use Amex PRG to pay for $200 to get $35 credit, then pay the other $200 with my Citi Hilton reserve card, etc.)
1. The reason advance purhcase, etc, doesn't count is because those rates are not billed by the hotel, and this Amex offer is only for rates billed by the hotel.

So any rate you pay at checkout while at the hotel is fine. Any rate that you pay in full long before you get tot he hotel is what's not fine.

2. It depends on the hotel clerk at check-in and check-out and perhaps the hotel. Hilton is unusual in that if your credit card is on file with Hilton, they don't even swipe it (they just ask to look at it). And you get your folio under the door and thus don't necessarily need to stop by the desk on your way out (at most drop off your key). So to me it sounds more complicated that at some other brands of hotels which insist on your handing the card over and then swiping it, including some who even do that at checkout time. At the very least, it could lead it a more time-consuming check-out (at some hotels at certain times you might have to wait in line, while no wait if you're just dropping your key).

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 15, 2017 at 10:11 am
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

I believe the deal is that charges posted directly from the hotel are okay; transactions via the Hilton advance purchase department (central clearinghouse for all properties) are not.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:16 am

Hilton UK Spend $500/$100 .... 10/31/17

offer wording sucks
* 1 charge $500+ or multiple charges totaling $500+
* does "Hilton properties" mean Hilton only or all Hilton-family properties like Doubletree.

some cost if wrong, as offer appears only on my cards with ~3% forex fee.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:27 am
mia

Originally Posted by Colin
* 1 charge $500+ or multiple charges totaling $500+
If it doesn't explicitly state single transaction, multiple transactions will qualify.

Does the purchase have to be one single purchase or can multiple purchases qualify for the statement credit or points?

All offer terms will state the purchase requirements. Some Amex Offers require a single purchase, while others require a minimum total amount spent (one or more transactions). All offers are subject to the stated offer terms. Please read them carefully. If you have questions, please call the number on the back of your Card
https://sync.americanexpress.com/ame...hub-offers-FAQ
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:36 am

do they write those FAQs to intentionally be unclear? the answer certainly does not definitely rule on when offer terms are silent
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:40 am
mia

Originally Posted by Colin
* does "Hilton properties" mean Hilton only or all Hilton-family properties like Doubletree.
The terms of the offer say purchases made at hotels and resorts within the Hilton Portfolio in the United Kingdom

Hilton Portfolio is a marketing term used by Hilton to encompass all their brands:

http://www.hiltonworldwide.com/portfolio/
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
1. The reason advance purhcase, etc, doesn't count is because those rates are not billed by the hotel, and this Amex offer is only for rates billed by the hotel.

So any rate you pay at checkout while at the hotel is fine. Any rate that you pay in full long before you get tot he hotel is what's not fine.

2. It depends on the hotel clerk at check-in and check-out and perhaps the hotel. Hilton is unusual in that if your credit card is on file with Hilton, they don't even swipe it (they just ask to look at it). And you get your folio under the door and thus don't necessarily need to stop by the desk on your way out (at most drop off your key). So to me it sounds more complicated that at some other brands of hotels which insist on your handing the card over and then swiping it, including some who even do that at checkout time. At the very least, it could lead it a more time-consuming check-out (at some hotels at certain times you might have to wait in line, while no wait if you're just dropping your key).
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I believe the deal is that charges posted directly from the hotel are okay; transactions via the Hilton advance purchase department (central clearinghouse for all properties) are not.
Thank you both very much. I do appreciate your replies.

Another quick question (I did a lot of searches already but no definitive answer):

Does tax usually include with Amex offers like this one ($35 credit for $175 spend)?

The terms doesn't have any language about tax; only '...room rates and room charges...'

Example:

$300 Room cost
$50 Tax

$350 total split between 2 cards ($175 each)

Assuming both cards have the 35/175 offers, would they both qualify for the $35 credit?

If tax is excluded in the offer, then technically each card would be $25 short of $175 minimum spend, and therefore not qualify for the credit.

Last edited by pstrider85; Jun 15, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:25 pm

AMEX can't tell the base amount separate from the tax amount.

For a charge made by the hotel, the one and only amount AMEX sees is the total charge amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.