Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of: Amex (USA) Sync Offers 2012 - 2015

Click HERE to be notified when this thread is updated.
Print Wikipost

Amex (USA) Sync Offers 2016-2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
Thanks you for pointer to the Amex (USA) Sync offers thread. have anyone book Hilton hotel stay with AAA rate.

If so, did you get the cash back credit / refund after your stay. The offer term does not say anything about exclude AAA rate.
It'll work. It works with Corp rates too. Amex doesn't know what rate you are on. Just needs to show up as Hilton and not be a prepaid rate (i.e., pay at hotel after stay).

Last edited by mia; Jun 12, 2017 at 1:25 pm Reason: Prune quotation
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:46 pm

prepaid works
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
prepaid works
In the right circumstances, perhaps. But in the wrong circumstances, I doubt it.

So IMHO you should explain more clearly in what case it worked.

Ie, did you both make the prepaid reservation and do the stay after registering and before the offer expired? I can see how that might work.

But I doubt a prepaid reservation made before you registered for the offer (even if you stay during the offer period) would count.

And there's the separate question of whether a prepaid reservation made during the offer period but the stay being after the offer expired would count.

So you see, there are several ways to do a prepaid reservation, and it's not sufficient to just say it "works" without explaining in what situation(s) it works.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:05 pm

don't be obtuse.

register for the offer. charge posts to your card. done.

AMEX can't tell the difference from from a charge resulting from a prepaid collection by the hotel vs. charge applied to your card at checkout.

principle applies broadly. only exception have ever seen is that somehow AMEX knew the difference between a Sam's Club membership charge vs. Sam's Club regular purchase charge.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
why the hell does Amex not make it easy to see which offers are new? Their UI for offers stinks.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Lavezzi
why the hell does Amex not make it easy to see which offers are new?
Customers are more likely to complete the task (purchase) when they have already invested some effort in the process. It's the same reason why other banks require "registration" for their 5X categories.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMEX can't tell the difference from from a charge resulting from a prepaid collection by the hotel vs. charge applied to your card at checkout.
They could know, in theory, if Hilton started providing Amex as much information as airlines typically provide.

When I make an airline purchase, the credit card charge tends to show the dates of travel, in addition to the charge date.

If Hilton wanted, I presume they could thus give Amex the actual stay arrival/departure dates, and Amex could compare those to the charge date.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This is where you're wrong. I say that because prepaid rates for US Hiltons bill from a merchant account called "Hilton Advance Purchase", not the actual hotel.

If you have proof that I'm wrong, I'd welcome seeing it.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:38 pm

certain FL/NV/HI hotels collect one night deposit at booking, even on flexible rate plans
those charges have posted as the hotel name, not Hilton Advance Purchase
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
certain FL/NV/HI hotels collect one night deposit at booking, even on flexible rate plans
those charges have posted as the hotel name, not Hilton Advance Purchase
Maybe because they're not advance purchase rates. How does that have anything to do with your claim that prepaid rates work for Amex Offers?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:48 pm

i said prepaid collection by the hotel
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i said prepaid collection by the hotel
No, initially you just said:
prepaid works
in apparent (though not quoted) response to someone who said it did not work on a prepaid rate.

And that's exactly why I wrote it might work in some cases and not others, and please explain exactly, for which you chided me for being "obtuse". And now others are pointing out that your blanket statement of "prepaid works' is hogwash, because it only works for what seem to be prepaid deposits, but not for prepaid rates. (For example, AFAIK all those infamous Hilton "sales" are always 100% advance purchase, ie prepaid rates.)

Please do not extrapolate from specific things that work for you to assuming other things that "seem similar" to you would certainly work for everyone else, without explaining that you're extrapolating and thus "guessing" at how widely it works.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 13, 2017 at 1:03 pm
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:25 pm

yes, fair point.
apologize for the obtuse charge.
my bad.

I have never used Hilton's Advance Purchase rate plan.

I have made prepayments to Hilton hotels in advance of stays requiring a deposit.
AMEX sees the charge the same as-if paid at check-out.

I have also booked non-flexible rate plans, like London during Olympics, where the rate plan called for prepayment.
Is was my corporate rate, not the Advance Purchase rate plan.
The prepayment posted to credit card the exact same as a charge at checkout.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by travlngeng
Anyone notice with the new website that, after using an offer on one card, that offer is now removed from other cards that had it via the multi-tab method?

I'm not 100% sure this is the case for me, but I could have sworn that the Dollar Shave Club offer didn't expire until July, and I had one more order set up with my last MR-earning card for this month and it's no longer there. I had used 2 of those offers previously with my Plat and PRG and just had my ED left. Like I said, not completely sure and I could have just missed the expiration date, but wondering if anyone else has noticed something similar with the move to the new website?
I had the same issue.

Had boxed.com offer on multiple cards, used it on one and now it does not show up on any other card.

Has anyone else seen this with their offers?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Nathan Drake
I had the same issue.

Had boxed.com offer on multiple cards, used it on one and now it does not show up on any other card.

Has anyone else seen this with their offers?
Boxed offer vanished for me as well from 2nd card after using it on 1st card . If i check on desktop or phone browser, i dont see it but If i log in through app on the phone...i can still see it. Not sure if it will work or not though...havent tried it yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.