Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of: Amex (USA) Sync Offers 2012 - 2015

Click HERE to be notified when this thread is updated.
Print Wikipost

Amex (USA) Sync Offers 2016-2019

Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:21 pm

Staples.com doesn't put the charge through until they're ready to ship (it's their policy). Order date +1 is the best case. There's little chance they'll be shipping anything this weekend.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
AMEX statements show only one date per line item. It is this date that determines offer eligibility and this date that has been purchase date + 1 for the dozen or so Staples.com merchant gift card purchases I have made this month.
Agreed.

AMEX does not provide the transaction date and the posting date - only one date which IS the date the charge posted to your card.

The T&Cs specifically mentioned that the merchant must BILL the card by the offer expiration date to make the purchase eligible.

Receiving the Congrats email simply mean the merchant has authorized your card. The charge HAS to be posted on your card before or by the offer expiration date to become eligible.

My Staples.com purchases took 3 to 4 days to post because it takes them this long to ship, even though the Congrats emails came the time Staples authorized the amount.
In fact 2 of them totally fell off from pending for a day before they resurfaced in the posted bearing the date of shipment, NOT the date order was placed and the Congrats email generated.

My 3x $10 gift card purchases made at a BK which the manager was willing to sell GC with CC payment were made on 12/24 but the transactions were not showing up until 12/27. The membership reward points posted on 12/28.
As you can see from this example, the transaction date - the date I bought the GCs was on 12/24, but AMEX showed 12/27 as that was the date BK's finally processed the billing. AMEX shows 12/27 - and that is the POSTING date, NOT the transaction date. Those who claim about the Transaction Date needs to read the T&Cs and keep track on when their purchases were POSTED to their AMEX accounts - I suspect NONE of the purchases is posted the same date the transaction is made. No CC issuer has this ability.

Unless the merchant bills your transaction on the SAME date you make the purchase, otherwise any purchase made today would NOT earn the bonus on the offers expire today.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 31, 2016 at 8:02 pm
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
has anyone paid Verizon internet payment for the offer?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:50 am
formerly oyalkut

Programs: Delta SM
New offers

With so many offers expiring y'day / today, when do we expect to get new offers?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by oyalkut
With so many offers expiring y'day / today, when do we expect to get new offers?
Anytime. Check your cards and the twitter posts. You never know when an offer that interests you will pop up.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
has anyone paid Verizon internet payment for the offer?
I partially paid my SO's total Verizon family plan with two Amex Cards, each for a little over $100 USD and received the email on both cards for using it online.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by oyalkut
In my experience, offers after the beginning of the year are generally fewer and less useful. The fall quarter is where I save the most money on AMEX offers. YMMV
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I don't recommend acting on this reminder -- the charges are very unlikely to post the same day.
The credits for ALL of my Dec 31 purchases have successfully posted. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Attached Images    

Last edited by yanxfann; Jan 2, 2017 at 10:38 am
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by yanxfann
The credits for ALL of my Dec 31 purchases have successfully posted. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
My transaction (both online and in-store) done on 31st posted on January 1st with date of Dec 31st. Credit posted today Jan 2nd.

I can see how if a company like Amazon that doesnt charge till it ships can be a problem, but any vendor that is hitting the card the same day...should not have been a problem.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:15 pm

I made 3 e-GC purchases at staples.com in the afternoon of 12/31, transactions are still pending-- even though I've received the gift cards already.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I suspect NONE of the purchases is posted the same date the transaction is made. No CC issuer has this ability.
Unless the merchant bills your transaction on the SAME date you make the purchase, otherwise any purchase made today would NOT earn the bonus on the offers expire today.
Miracles never cease. See previous posts 728 and 729.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Miracles never cease. See previous posts 728 and 729.
Miracles are wonderful, and can bring joy to our lives.
They also require proof -- like a dated order confirmation email from staples.com (not shipping confirmation). I'm glad yanxfann got his rebates, but sceptical of the miracle claim.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 4:20 pm

They also require proof -- like a dated order confirmation email from staples.com (not shipping confirmation). I'm glad yanxfann got his rebates, but sceptical of the miracle claim.
Posts 728 and 729 provide several examples, from a variety of retailers, that Dec. 31 transactions qualified for the Amex rebates, despite dire predictions to the contrary from various sages on this board.

Of course, no one really cares whether you believe them. They must be lying!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Posts 728 and 729 provide several examples, from a variety of retailers, that Dec. 31 transactions qualified for the Amex rebates, despite dire predictions to the contrary from various sages on this board.

Of course, no one really cares whether you believe them. They must be lying!
They are lucky that the vendors have billed the accounts the same day the transactions occurred.

My one and the only BK purchases happened on Dec 24 but my AMEX charges show up on Dec 27.

It is great the 2 posters got their transactions posted on time, thus also got the statement credits. However it remains a gamble to do the offer on the last date - it totally depends on the vendor to process the billing on the same day. So the 2 posters got lucky on that.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:12 pm

some people just don't do nuance - the issue raised was how one specific company, Staples.com, processes merchant e-gift-cards in such a way through 3rd party Gift Card Mall that the AMEX line item date is actually one day after the online purchase date

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.