Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of: Amex (USA) Sync Offers 2012 - 2015

Click HERE to be notified when this thread is updated.
Print Wikipost

Amex (USA) Sync Offers 2016-2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:54 am

On my business platinum: Spend $500+ at select MGM resorts in Las Vegas, get 7500 MR.
Name:  firefox_2017-10-16_09-46-56.png
Views: 1081
Size:  21.7 KB
Name:  firefox_2017-10-16_09-48-22.png
Views: 1033
Size:  11.0 KB
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:23 am

Newbie Question

Originally Posted by tyvoodoo
On both my PRG and Plat card I had loaded the $50 off $250 hotel stay as well as the $60 off $300 Hilton stay. I checked out of the Hilton Hawaiian Village this past Saturday with a $800+ bill. At checkout I had them split the charge between both cards. I received 4 emails confirming the use of my amex offers, charge is still pending but it looks like these should stack.
I am new to this whole thing so I apologize if this is a dumb question. But I was wondering for those of you that do buy gift cards, do you use them or sell them?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by yalexk
I am new to this whole thing so I apologize if this is a dumb question. But I was wondering for those of you that do buy gift cards, do you use them or sell them?
Haven’t bought hotel GCs for a long time
But when I did I’d use them for stays. It’s useful if you’re staying at a portfolio brand that’s excluded from the Amex offer.

Eg. offer includes Marriott but not courtyard so you buy gc at one and use at the other
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by yalexk
...I was wondering for those of you that do buy gift cards, do you use them or sell them?
Ideally, this issue should be settled before deciding to buy GC's.
But if the AmEx rebate exceeds the selling discount, and you have more offers than you need for your immediate use, then selling GC's would allow you to use more offers than you could otherwise.
It's generally a bad idea to hoard GC's for any extended periods.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by freeflyin
I have hit a wall with this one. I enrolled( and confirmed by Amex rep) and the Sheraton charge posted. No email stating that I used my offer and no 60 credit. I contacted Amex and they tell me that the charge did not qualify and the merchant wasn't Sheraton, despite their own Amex posting to the contrary.

I am waiting the results of an escalation and will post again when they reply
You may just have to wait until the end of the period if it's one of those ones that says you'll get the credit X days/weeks after the charge posts. I had a Homewood Suites offer that took like a month to post.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
You may just have to wait until the end of the period if it's one of those ones that says you'll get the credit X days/weeks after the charge posts. I had a Homewood Suites offer that took like a month to post.
Normally I would agree, but I had 2 different agents research this and was told that it did not qualify.

I am hoping that they were wrong and it will ultimately post on it's own. In the meantime, it was escalated and I will wait for the outcome,which they said would take 7-10 days before getting a response.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
Spend $100+, get 1,500 MR Points
Supermarket Rewards!

DETAILS

Get 1,500 additional Membership Rewards points one-time by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $100+ in one or more eligible transactions in-store or online at U.S. Supermarket locations by 11/30/2017.
Happy to report that I have met the criteria (stretched over a month, made it a hair over $100 ), and the points posted. ^
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have hit a wall with this one. I enrolled( and confirmed by Amex rep) and the Sheraton charge posted. No email stating that I used my offer and no 60 credit. I contacted Amex and they tell me that the charge did not qualify and the merchant wasn't Sheraton, despite their own Amex posting to the contrary.

I am waiting the results of an escalation and will post again when they reply
There's more requirements, like booking through SPG central, etc. Are you sure you met all of those requirements?

Here's the full T&Cs that I see:
OFFER TERMS

Enrollment limited. Offer valid only at the following SPG® Participating Hotels & Resorts in the US and US territories: Aloft®, Design Hotels™, Element®, Four Points® by Sheraton, Le Méridien®, The Luxury Collection®, Sheraton®, St. Regis®, Tribute Portfolio™, W® Hotels, and Westin®. Reservations must be made online at spg.com, via the SPG® mobile app, or by calling 1-877-782-7966. Excludes all Marriott brand hotel properties, residences, Vistana Vacation, and all timeshares. Not valid for online retail store purchases. Please note that hotels, car rental companies, cruise lines do not accept prepaid cards for charges authorized in advance, although prepaid cards may be used to settle the final bill. Check to make sure prepaid cards are accepted before attempting to use your prepaid card to take advantage of offers for these merchants. Offer only valid on room rate and room charges. Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date. Must add offer to Card and use same Card to redeem. Limit 1 statement credit(s) per American Express® Card across all American Express offer channels. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 1/31/2018, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is cancelled. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it. By adding an offer to a Card, you agree that American Express may send you communications about the offer.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
There's more requirements, like booking through SPG central, etc. Are you sure you met all of those requirements?

Here's the full T&Cs that I see:
OFFER TERMS

Enrollment limited. Offer valid only at the following SPG® Participating Hotels & Resorts in the US and US territories: Aloft®, Design Hotels™, Element®, Four Points® by Sheraton, Le Méridien®, The Luxury Collection®, Sheraton®, St. Regis®, Tribute Portfolio™, W® Hotels, and Westin®. Reservations must be made online at spg.com, via the SPG® mobile app, or by calling 1-877-782-7966. Excludes all Marriott brand hotel properties, residences, Vistana Vacation, and all timeshares. Not valid for online retail store purchases. Please note that hotels, car rental companies, cruise lines do not accept prepaid cards for charges authorized in advance, although prepaid cards may be used to settle the final bill. Check to make sure prepaid cards are accepted before attempting to use your prepaid card to take advantage of offers for these merchants. Offer only valid on room rate and room charges. Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date. Must add offer to Card and use same Card to redeem. Limit 1 statement credit(s) per American Express® Card across all American Express offer channels. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 1/31/2018, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is cancelled. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it. By adding an offer to a Card, you agree that American Express may send you communications about the offer.
I booked this stay at SPG.com while logged in to my account using an Amex that was enrolled(and confirmed to be by an Amex rep). The stay posted to my Amex as a Sheraton and they are claiming the merchant wasn't Sheraton,hence my frustration.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I booked this stay at SPG.com while logged in to my account using an Amex that was enrolled(and confirmed to be by an Amex rep). The stay posted to my Amex as a Sheraton and they are claiming the merchant wasn't Sheraton,hence my frustration.
I have a funny feeling you'll get your credit, despite what the CSRs have said, it'll just take a while, because note this part of the T&Cs: "Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 1/31/2018..."

They don't normally take the full time that the T&Cs say, but I have had ones that take weeks to post. Personally I'd put it to the back of my mind and chase down the credit once you've truly made it out of the time that the terms say it could take for the credit to post.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I have a funny feeling you'll get your credit, despite what the CSRs have said, it'll just take a while, because note this part of the T&Cs: "Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 1/31/2018..."

They don't normally take the full time that the T&Cs say, but I have had ones that take weeks to post. Personally I'd put it to the back of my mind and chase down the credit once you've truly made it out of the time that the terms say it could take for the credit to post.
Thanks. I hope you are correct. Normally I would be letting this play out without much intervention, but I have more stays to book and the offer is attached to additional cards,so I am hesitant to proceed without knowing if it will ultimately be credited. I would typically be using my Marriott card for these stays,but would prefer the $60 over the points in this case if I can be relatively sure this error won't be repeated.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would typically be using my Marriott card for these stays
Why? The Marriott card earns 5 points per dollar. The SPG card earns 6 Marriott points per dollar. Why wouldn't you therefore use the SPG card instead of the Marriott card?

For this very reason, I've been using my SPG card, instead of my Marriott card, at Marriott properties!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:03 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by LRD
I've been denied the Marriott - Spend $150, get $30 statement credit because, while I booked at marriott.com, I did not pay at marriott.com. AMEX (chat) quoted this line:

Reservations must be made online at marriott.com, by using the Marriott Mobile App or via phone to Marriott Worldwide Reservations,
Have others experienced this?
Originally Posted by LRD
I've been thinking about this and came up with a theory:

My "qualifying" reservations were LNF'ed. I'll bet the LNF process makes the booking appear as if it was booked by phone, rather than online (a requirement of the bonus offer). Then, the AMEX bonus system ignores the charge and throws-out a generic error. And, the AMEX chat team then makes-up a BS reason why the bookings don't qualify.
I'm happy to report that, after calling AMEX support, I've received the credit on my SPG consumer card. It wasn't easy - placed on hold multiple times while the agent consulted with colleagues - and then waiting over 30 hours for a callback.

I then repeated the process for my SPG biz card, and again, after a similar wait, got the credit.

I can't prove it, but I think my LNF theory is still valid. I mean, not getting the credit on one card - well, that could be a fluke - but to not get the credit on two SPG cards seems to suggest that some factor (like LNF) must be responsible.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Why? The Marriott card earns 5 points per dollar. The SPG card earns 6 Marriott points per dollar. Why wouldn't you therefore use the SPG card instead of the Marriott card?

For this very reason, I've been using my SPG card, instead of my Marriott card, at Marriott properties!
The SPG account is my spouse's and I was not an authorized user. I was added last week and am awaiting my card. The plan is to use the SPG going forward.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:50 am

10% back on Hertz (found on AMEX Biz Plat)

Get 10% back as a statement credit every time you use your enrolled Card to spend at participating Hertz Corporate Owned locations in the US by 12/31/2017. For all participating locations see www.hertzcorplocations.com. See terms for exclusions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.