Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaxVO
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by allpointsoftravel
Update: Still no reimbursement on my 2/1 $50 cards on my Gold personal cards. Maybe 2/1 purchases are just out of luck?
Still no update for me either for 9, $50 GCs purchased (unfortunately) on 2/1. Are we just screwed or can we call in later? That was an expensive day for me if not.

5 ($50) - Hilton Spire
4 ($50) - Amex Plat

Last edited by sgunter; Feb 21, 2019 at 7:13 pm
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:30 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sgunter
That was an expensive dayt
How so? You paid $450 for gift card worth $450.
gooselee likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by mia
How so? You paid $450 for gift card worth $450.
If I can get $450 more and it actually works, then you're right, it wasn't. If not, then I certainly don't place a 1:1 value for cash vs. airfare currency.
Happy likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
If I can get $450 more and it actually works, then you're right, it wasn't. If not, then I certainly don't place a 1:1 value for cash vs. airfare currency.
A gift card is not airline currency, it is CASH!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:23 pm

Still no update for me either for 9, $50 GCs purchased (unfortunately) on 2/1. Are we just screwed or can we call in later? That was an expensive day for me if not.

5 ($50) - Hilton Spire
4 ($50) - Amex Plat
No! At best they will laugh at you. At worst, they cancel your account for violating the T&C's.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
A gift card is not airline currency, it is CASH!
Only if you want to fly that airline! Now the gift card credit only works for SW and Delta, so If you are going to fly them anyway, then they are almost like cash. Also keep in mind that you lose credit card travel protection when purchased with gift card.

Btw, both of my Delta credits appeared today. Purchased 2 $50 gift cards. Initially only $50 credited, but got my second one.
Happy likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
Only if you want to fly that airline! Now the gift card credit only works for SW and Delta, so If you are going to fly them anyway, then they are almost like cash. Also keep in mind that you lose credit card travel protection when purchased with gift card.

Btw, both of my Delta credits appeared today. Purchased 2 $50 gift cards. Initially only $50 credited, but got my second one.
If you don't want to fly that airline, you really shouldn't buy that card. You don't lose protection if you balance out with a cc.
gooselee likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:39 pm

Did you purchase the 4 $50's at the same time in the same transaction for a total single charge of $200 or did you purchase one $50 and pay, then another $50 and pay, etc...?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Did you purchase the 4 $50's at the same time in the same transaction for a total single charge of $200 or did you purchase one $50 and pay, then another $50 and pay, etc...?
Two $50 gift cards in ONE transaction.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:47 pm

Two $50 gift cards in ONE transaction.
thought you bought 4 $50 cards?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:18 pm

Recent Experiences with Delta eCERTS & Southwest GC's

AMEX Platinum Business (mine)
  • 2/18 - $100 Southwest gift card purchased
  • 2/18 - $100 Southwest gift card purchased
  • 2/20 - $100 Travel credit applied
  • 2/20 - $100 Travel credit applied
AMEX Platinum Business (my wife's)
  • 2/18 - $50 Delta eCert purchased
  • 2/20 - $50 Travel credit applied

AMEX Gold Personal (mine)
Everything worked as expected... similar to my last year cycle of purchases & travel credits.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: Hilton
Amex Hilton Aspire Card purchased today 2/22.

one transaction 2 X $50
one transaction 1 X $50

See how it goes. will update later.

3 transactions post on the statement 2/25, and check airline credit shows $100 left. waiting for the credit come through

2/26 Credit come through and purchase another 2 X 50 from additional card. let's see.

Last edited by fly121121; Feb 26, 2019 at 9:29 pm Reason: udpate the processing
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ecs77
Everything worked as expected... similar to my last year cycle of purchases & travel credits.
Imagine that!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Imagine that!
I went ahead and got half of my years allotment out of the way last night. I will do the balance this afternoon. Hopefully all will go well and I will report back positive results.

I still cannot find where someone explains that you can do larger than $50.00 GC's and get rebated anywhere in the recent posts of the thread. Does anyone do more than $50 and successfully get reimbursed?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:56 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Does anyone do more than $50 and successfully get reimbursed?
It's established that $50 gift cards are reimbursed, and that larger denominations are not. This could change. The only way that we would KNOW that it has changed is if someone purchased a larger denomination card, but no one wants to be bothered because the $50 cards are reliable.

Do you volunteer? There is zero risk. In the worst case you pay $100 for a $100 card that isn't reimbursed. No loss.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.