Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page > Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 2, 18, 11:58 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

• Caution: two reports on 12.16.2017 indicate that Delta outsourced some gift card processing.
  • Further reports suggest that only giftcards purchased through the mobile site are processed by CashStar.
  • If the merchant is not Delta Airlines the purchase will not be reimbursed. Do not use the mobile site to purchase.

Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (e.g., standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.

Print Wikipost

Old May 10, 16, 11:00 am

Programs: DL Silver, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by bsternad View Post
Any data points on people being reimbursed for upgrades on existing tickets.... Such as AMEX reimbursing for an upgrade to Comfort Plus?
I received 2 fee credits for $27 after my sister and I upgraded to C+ today. Also of interest: this upgrade was for a flight after May 15, so the new C+ upgrade rules were in effect for it (i.e. it changed the fare class for the booking to W.)
Old May 21, 16, 10:12 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond
Will the credit work on taxes and fees of an international award flight? Have the $100 fee credit for the PRG. I know I can't use gift cards for the taxes but I figured I'd just charge it to the PRG and see.
Old May 22, 16, 1:01 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA PLT 2.8MM+ (life PLT); IHG PLT Ambassador; UA Gold
Purchased 3x$50 on 5/19. Reimbursement on 5/21.
Old May 22, 16, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL Krystal Chik Medallion, Hilton Dia, SPG Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hertz PC, National EE, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by kick6 View Post
Will the credit work on taxes and fees of an international award flight? Have the $100 fee credit for the PRG. I know I can't use gift cards for the taxes but I figured I'd just charge it to the PRG and see.
Yes. This is how I redeem most of my fee credit each year. Award ticket fees are specifically excluded in the T&C but I have always had mine post for fees up to $80 or so (haven't had any award fees higher than that, so no clue if the system will reject over a certain amount).
Old May 23, 16, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
Is it possible to just credit the eCerts to my skymiles account, or do I have to actually redeem them at the time of booking? Is it possible to use them to pay for taxes on a reward ticket?
Old May 24, 16, 1:29 am

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Originally Posted by mia View Post
This issue is also discussed (inconclusively) in the Delta forum, which is where I would look for the answer:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...d-booking.html
They may not be used for any additional fees (including baggage fees) or for any other products or services (including class upgrades, in-flight purchases, premium seating, mileage booster, SkyMiles Cruises, cargo, hotel stays, or car rentals

QUESTIONS ??

So with that statement I would presume that renewal of my AX Delta Platinum card ($195) would not be reimbursable -or- upgrading to the
Delta Reserve card ($450) and having a $200 reduction in the renewal fee ???

So next best option to use the $200 benny is:

My next round trip costs $800 would I get $200 off of that trip and pay the
balance $600 with AX points on the AX Platinum card (non-DL) ???
Old May 24, 16, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold, UA, SPG Gold
Purchased 2 $50 e-certs in one transaction on 5/21; credits posted on 5/24
Old May 31, 16, 7:28 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG+Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Purchased 3 eGifts of $50 each on 5/27 in one transaction, 3 $50 transactions posted to Amex on 5/29. The 3 $50 credits appeared this morning 5/31.
Old Jun 2, 16, 5:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Had 2 x $5.60 award booking fees refunded the next day.
Old Jun 11, 16, 11:04 am

Purchased 2 $50 e-certs in one transaction on 6/7, 2 $50 transactions posted on 6/9, 2 $50 credits appeared 6/11.
Old Jun 13, 16, 7:29 am

Does it matter if i buy the one-time lounge pass online or in person (AMEX PRG)? I would like to get it ahead of time but don't want any issues receiving the reimbursement...
Old Jun 14, 16, 11:33 am

Purchased 4 $50 e-certs on 6/10, posted 6/11. 4 $50 credits posted 6/13.
Old Jul 18, 16, 9:40 pm

is there any way to buy non delta gcs thru delta similar to the united milage plus x app where u can buy amazon gcs? i need to spend $100 on a delta purchase on my platinum delta card
Old Jul 18, 16, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL Krystal Chik Medallion, Hilton Dia, SPG Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hertz PC, National EE, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by edubsmann View Post
is there any way to buy non delta gcs thru delta similar to the united milage plus x app where u can buy amazon gcs? i need to spend $100 on a delta purchase on my platinum delta card
I have yet to figure out why people would get a branded CC for an airline they don't intend to spend even $100 on...
Old Jul 20, 16, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I have yet to figure out why people would get a branded CC for an airline they don't intend to spend even $100 on...
Is that a no?

Search this Thread