Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 13, 19, 11:21 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki Link
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]
  • Caution: two reports on 12.16.2017 indicate that Delta outsourced some gift card processing.
  • Further reports suggest that only giftcards purchased through the mobile site are processed by CashStar.
  • If the merchant is not Delta Airlines the purchase will not be reimbursed. Do not use the mobile site to purchase. Use this direct link.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (e.g., standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

non Gift Card options
  • Recent data points indicate or confirm that any sort of add/collect, including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also trigger the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below the annual reimbursement limit for the card.
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card (will be reimbursed for $50), then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed separately)
eGift Card (eCert) details
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 24, 18, 2:24 pm

Programs: DELTA, IHG GOLD, HILTON GOLD, MARRIOTT/SPG GOLD
Remembered that I bought Delta vacation package earlier this year hoping for 5X, but it was coded as travel agency so decided not to go that route.

On PRG: bought regular DL gift card 9/21, posted 9/22 and credit reimbursed 9/23. Platinum is next.
Old Sep 30, 18, 7:09 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club Carlson Gold
Made a round-trip Delta domestic award purchase on 9/25 ($11.20), received $11.20 credit on 9/27.
That was a surprise. Maybe they are counting award purchases as incidentals now?
Old Sep 30, 18, 7:22 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by AlmostJesus View Post
.... counting award purchases as incidentals now?
Officially, no, but in practice any small transaction tends to be reimbursed. Example: I find a report of a $5.60 reimbursement from 2016.
Old Oct 1, 18, 7:33 am

• No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
I just bot 5X50 and pending charge shows $250, hope it posts as 5 50's on aspire

It did post as 5 50's

Last edited by frankhi; Oct 3, 18 at 7:22 am Reason: update
Old Oct 3, 18, 6:52 am

How many gift cards can be used to book 1 flight?
Old Oct 3, 18, 7:45 am

Programs: Hyatt EXP, Marriott Gold, KE, AMX MR, CSR UR
Originally Posted by zagguru View Post
How many gift cards can be used to book 1 flight?
3 max on delta.com. more possible if you call in.
Old Oct 4, 18, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by VoiD View Post
3 max on delta.com. more possible if you call in.
Does the method of cancelling within 24 hour a reservation with 3 on it, refund 1 credit of $150 still work?
Old Oct 7, 18, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zagguru View Post
Does the method of cancelling within 24 hour a reservation with 3 on it, refund 1 credit of $150 still work?
Not sure, but the one time I did cancel a ticket that used GCs, they never returned re-issued it even after a couple of weeks. I have to submit a support ticket to finally get it back. Far too much hassle to worth the effort.

For domestic routes, you might as well just book two one-ways (and use upto 3 GC each) since they almost always cost the same as a roundtrip.
Old Oct 8, 18, 8:45 am

Anyone else having trouble getting their fee refunded lately? I bought $50 on 10/4 - still nothing.
Old Oct 8, 18, 9:40 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Originally Posted by derrickfung View Post
....I bought $50 on 10/4 - still nothing.
That's only three days, the terms specify that it may take up to four weeks, and the clock doesn't begin to run until the transaction is posted.
Old Oct 8, 18, 7:33 pm

General Inquiry

Hello all,

I follow a few different AMEX blogs and pages on Facebook. I have recently come across a person who claims to have been reimbursed for both $200 and $250 Delta eCerts as part of the airline credit for Delta. The individual posted a screenshot of the transaction and reimbursement (it took roughly two weeks). The individual was not willing to give insight into their process though. Can we explore this possibility? Does anyone have any experience they can share?
Old Oct 9, 18, 5:25 am
mia
Original Poster

There's no downside to buying a Delta eCert in an amount larger than $50. If it isn't reimbursed you have lost nothing, because you have paid $200 for an item worth exactly $200. Just try it, and see if it is reimbursed.
Seabilly likes this.
Old Oct 9, 18, 6:53 am
hao

PRG
SEP 9 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$50.00
SEP 9 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$50.00
SEP 8 DELTA AIR LINES - ATLANTA $50.00
SEP 8 DELTA AIR LINES - ATLANTA $50.00

Hilton Aspire
SEP 26 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$50.00
SEP 24 DELTA AIR LINES - ATLANTA $50.00
SEP 22 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$50.00
SEP 22 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$50.00
SEP 20 DELTA AIR LINES - ATLANTA $50.00
SEP 20 DELTA AIR LINES - ATLANTA $50.00
Old Oct 9, 18, 9:23 am

Last Mon (10/1) I bot 5X50 delta gc's. They posted on Wed (10/3) and my statement closed on Sun. I realized I had not enrolled Delta for my airline credit and did so on Mon 10/8 (a bank holiday)... Any have experience/info with enrolling after the purchase? Thanks

Called amex and was told charges must be made after enrollment, but that I could do it again and get the credit.

Last edited by frankhi; Oct 10, 18 at 6:48 am Reason: update
Old Oct 11, 18, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Bought 2x$50 on the new AMEX PRG (4x) card.
Charge shows $100 right now, according to the thread, should post as 2 separate charges of $50 each.
Will post back when credits are posted.

Search this Thread