FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

mia Jan 19, 2018 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by np (Post 29315344)
Question for you all:

Answer seems to be here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27694763-post227.html

Happy Jan 20, 2018 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29315386)

Given this question has been asked a few times just in past few weeks may be the information should be in the Wiki, assuming people actually read Wiki that is.

jessebrown30 Jan 21, 2018 11:06 pm

Would be very interested to see if any other people got refunded similar to that post.. i have 5 $50 GCs and looking for a way to use other than 2 separate one way ticks

Happy Jan 23, 2018 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by jessebrown30 (Post 29322965)
Would be very interested to see if any other people got refunded similar to that post.. i have 5 $50 GCs and looking for a way to use other than 2 separate one way ticks

That post said the refund was back to the $50 eCert. Unless someone tries again, else this is the DP you get. Or you can generate a new DP to show whether it is still the same as in 2016 or now there is a mechanism to "consolidate" those $50's.

jbeans Jan 24, 2018 9:18 am

Just another DP on e-gift cards -- purchased 4x50 on 1/21, all reimbursed on 1/24.

rjruiz Jan 24, 2018 1:01 pm

I just purchased 4x$50 e-gift cards. Eeeek nervous! I guess I'll see in a few days!

Mountain Trader Jan 25, 2018 4:07 pm

With both MIA and Happy on this thread, I know good information is at hand.

I am new to using (but not obtaining) the DL eGift Cards, and my interest is only for award travel.

It seems the T&Cs limit usage of the certs to the purchase price of air transportation, including taxes fees and surcharges. Thus, the typical add-ons that must be paid in cash on an award ticket (aiirport fees,TSA fee, YQ) are all eligible, subject to the 3 forms of payment limitation.

Correct?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Happy Jan 25, 2018 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader (Post 29339883)
With both MIA and Happy on this thread, I know good information is at hand.

I am new to using (but not obtaining) the DL eGift Cards, and my interest is only for award travel.

It seems the T&Cs limit usage of the certs to the purchase price of air transportation, including taxes fees and surcharges. Thus, the typical add-ons that must be paid in cash on an award ticket (aiirport fees,TSA fee, YQ) are all eligible, subject to the 3 forms of payment limitation.

Correct?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

If you scroll back some on this thread you would find a few others have already asked the same questions and were answered. The answer unfortunately is NO, the eCerts can not be used to pay taxes and fees on award tickets whether it is online or thru a phone agent. I suppose this is a universal restriction on the airline GCs, as AA GC also cannot be used to pay such. Ditto UA's gift registry when it existed, IIRC.

mia Jan 26, 2018 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 29341065)
....NO, the eCerts can not be used to pay taxes and fees on award tickets.....

There is at least one counterexample of success by telephone, HERE.

rjruiz Jan 26, 2018 5:55 am

Okay, so my 4 $50 certs all posted yesterday on the 24th but I didn't receive any credit for them yet? It posted as "DELTA AIR LINES DELTA.COM" Category: Travel - Airline. Do I need to wait a little bit longer for the credit to post?

In addition my Global Entry posted as well yesterday but no credit!!

Mountain Trader Jan 26, 2018 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 29341065)
If you scroll back some on this thread you would find a few others have already asked the same questions and were answered. The answer unfortunately is NO, the eCerts can not be used to pay taxes and fees on award tickets whether it is online or thru a phone agent. I suppose this is a universal restriction on the airline GCs, as AA GC also cannot be used to pay such. Ditto UA's gift registry when it existed, IIRC.

Thanks for the response.

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29341560)

Thanks Mia.

rdukrk Jan 26, 2018 6:35 am

Originally Posted by rjruiz (Post 29341777)
Okay, so my 4 $50 certs all posted yesterday on the 24th but I didn't receive any credit for them yet? It posted as "DELTA AIR LINES DELTA.COM" Category: Travel - Airline. Do I need to wait a little bit longer for the credit to post?

In addition my Global Entry posted as well yesterday but no credit!!

My Delta credits took an extra day after the charge posted to be applied, so I'd wait another day before getting worried.

gooselee Jan 26, 2018 10:40 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29341560)

Note that this counterexample is certainly an exception, and will very much depend on the phone agent you get.

Gift cards are explicitly noted to NOT be valid forms of payment for award ticket taxes/fees on the payment page online. In other words, it's not just that the option isn't there, it's that the option is grayed out and also there is text saying something like, "You cannot use gift cards or ecerts to pay these fees."

SkyHarbor Jan 26, 2018 11:27 am

4 x $50 purchased
4 x $50 reimbursed 2 days later

Mountain Trader Jan 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 29342779)
Note that this counterexample is certainly an exception, and will very much depend on the phone agent you get.

Gift cards are explicitly noted to NOT be valid forms of payment for award ticket taxes/fees on the payment page online. In other words, it's not just that the option isn't there, it's that the option is grayed out and also there is text saying something like, "You cannot use gift cards or ecerts to pay these fees."

So this language is on the payment page when one attempts to make an award booking? My question arose from the language on dl.com under EGCs FAQs:
  • Gift Cards may only be redeemed for the cost of air transportation, including taxes, fees, and surcharges imposed on the air transportation. They may not be used for any additional fees (including baggage fees) or for any other products or services (including upgrades, in-flight purchases, premium seating, mileage booster, SkyMiles Cruises, cargo, hotel stays, or car rentals).
My reading was that since by booking an award ticket the pricing is miles plus whatever taxes, fees, and surcharges are imposed on the ticket, the eGC would be usable given the language above.

But this is DL so I double checked-lucky for me!