Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 31, 19, 1:30 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki Link
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]
  • Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (e.g., standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

non Gift Card options
  • Recent data points indicate or confirm that any sort of add/collect, including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also trigger the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 11, 16, 11:19 am

Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
Originally Posted by eajusa View Post
None of what I reported is in the Wikki.
You're correct, my apologies. I was looking just at your note about the posting turnaround. Thanks for adding the additional reimbursement types to the list.
Old Jan 11, 16, 2:27 pm

Programs: PRG, SP
Purchased a quantity of 2 at $50 each for the yearly $100 credit.

Charges are pending at $100 even. Hopefully when they post it will be two charges of $50. I'll keep you all posted.

For the record, I read everything above.
Old Jan 12, 16, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Deleted by author

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Jan 13, 16 at 2:30 pm Reason: Resolved
Old Jan 14, 16, 8:47 am

purchased 4 * $50 delta ecerts and received all 4 but nocharges ever showed up on amex plat biz card. It has been over a week now and charges still haven't shown up. I did validate the ecerts with Delta and they are active.

anybody else have this happen?
Old Jan 14, 16, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t View Post
purchased 4 * $50 delta ecerts and received all 4 but nocharges ever showed up on amex plat biz card. It has been over a week now and charges still haven't shown up. I did validate the ecerts with Delta and they are active.

anybody else have this happen?
Charges, or credit? If the charges didn't show, be happy and hope they never do... free e-certs! If you're worried about the credit, see all points in the Wiki, make sure you qualified in all respects, and give it a couple weeks, at least.
Old Jan 14, 16, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by mooper View Post
Charges, or credit? If the charges didn't show, be happy and hope they never do... free e-certs! If you're worried about the credit, see all points in the Wiki, make sure you qualified in all respects, and give it a couple weeks, at least.
charges...and not complaining , not concerned about credits, just wondering if charges were being delayed by Delta for some reason as I want to change my elected carrier to United but have to do so in January.
Old Jan 17, 16, 1:54 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Do read the Wikki

Well, I know that I read the Wikki, because I have added to it. I also remember reading different posts in this thread. In spite of this, I foolishly forgot to keep my DL gift card purchase to $50. Since I had $67 left on my 2016 DL reimbursement, I ordered a $70 card. When it did not get reimbursed in a few days, I visited the Wikki to double check the instructions on getting the credit and there it was "$50." I was so ticked off at myself, I decided to stop jumping through hoops to get my moneys worth from the PLAT Card. It is almost impossible to get all my $200 back from baggage fees and the like. Each airline has its quirks when it comes to such things as getting gift cards reimbursed. Long story short I called to cancel my card. I'm glad I made the call.

Because it is against the rules to cross post, I relate the incentive Amex provided me in the thread where retention bonuses are posted.http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...etention+bonus
Old Jan 17, 16, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by eajusa View Post
Well, I know that I read the Wikki, because I have added to it. I also remember reading different posts in this thread. In spite of this, I foolishly forgot to keep my DL gift card purchase to $50. Since I had $67 left on my 2016 DL reimbursement, I ordered a $70 card. When it did not get reimbursed in a few days, I visited the Wikki to double check the instructions on getting the credit and there it was "$50." I was so ticked off at myself, I decided to stop jumping through hoops to get my moneys worth from the PLAT Card. It is almost impossible to get all my $200 back from baggage fees and the like. Each airline has its quirks when it comes to such things as getting gift cards reimbursed. Long story short I called to cancel my card. I'm glad I made the call.

Because it is against the rules to cross post, I relate the incentive Amex provided me in the thread where retention bonuses are posted.http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...etention+bonus
Haven't read your other post yet, but if you don't feel like the Plat is worth its AF, of course you should cancel or get a retention bonus.

But I disagree with folks who get upset at their own issues with using a loophole to get credit for something that is specifically ineligible for the benefit. Choose a different airline, then, or be okay with not spending anything on fees.

I get my $200 back quite easily in award fees every year, often on just a single intl trip with Mrs. Lee. IMO it's ridiculous to complain about it being "difficult" to circumvent the rules of this benefit.
Old Jan 17, 16, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Harzstyle View Post
Purchased a quantity of 2 at $50 each for the yearly $100 credit.

Charges are pending at $100 even. Hopefully when they post it will be two charges of $50. I'll keep you all posted.

For the record, I read everything above.
As posted previously (maybe not in wiki, can't see it on mobile), the charges will authorize as one total sum but will end up posting as separate $50 amounts. This is normal.
Old Jan 17, 16, 5:40 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I get my $200 back quite easily in award fees every year, often on just a single intl trip with Mrs. Lee.
In the T&C it says "Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees." I am so glad you have such an easy time circumventing the rules.

Last edited by eajusa; Jan 23, 16 at 7:47 am
Old Jan 17, 16, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL PM
Does airline reimbursement count towards spend?

Just got my new Amex card. Working on my spend to hit the MR bonus. Does the DL e-gift card reimbursement count towards my spend?

PS read through some of the thread, searched and read the wiki but couldn't find anything.
Old Jan 18, 16, 12:43 am

Programs: ua silver, amex plat
charged $200 on 1/12 and got reimbursed 1/15. i love how quickly the credit posts. thumbs up amex!
Old Jan 18, 16, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mjrkjm View Post
Just got my new Amex card. Working on my spend to hit the MR bonus. Does the DL e-gift card reimbursement count towards my spend?

PS read through some of the thread, searched and read the wiki but couldn't find anything.
Gift card spending counts towards spending thresholds, however, refunded gift card spending (or any other qualifying charges that are later refunded) will not count.
Old Jan 18, 16, 11:53 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

Posts from 2011 through 2015 have been archived to a closed thread. There is a link in the Wikipost.

To be automatically notified of new replies click HERE to Subscribe. You need to do this again if you had subscribed to the previous thread.

Last edited by mia; Jan 18, 16 at 12:01 pm
Old Jan 20, 16, 8:01 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Can eGift Card (eCert) be used for award taxes?

If I purchase eGift Card (eCerts) using my AMEX card can I use that amount to pay for taxed on a DL award ticket. Taxes per person are in the $53 range. I am getting mixed views when reviewing other threads.

Search this Thread