FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

Pianoman109876 Aug 27, 18 12:02 pm


Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 30135358)
It works (and is subject to change without notice so do report your success in the thread linked above). Remember though that you can only use 3 gift cards per transaction and the can't be used for anything except flights. Probably not a problem if you fly delta regularly or don't mind booking a trip in separate PNR.

I posted this in the other thread but in case others are interested, I just had a full $200 reimbursed for DL, even though I didn't purchase gift cards. I did just book about 4 flights each under $200 (around $175-$225 eachfor a total of around $825). It gave me a statement credit of $200. But it was well over the supposed $50 limit.

koreanair720 Aug 27, 18 4:41 pm


Originally Posted by Pianoman109876 (Post 30135386)
I posted this in the other thread but in case others are interested, I just had a full $200 reimbursed for DL, even though I didn't purchase gift cards. I did just book about 4 flights each under $200 (around $175-$225 eachfor a total of around $825). It gave me a statement credit of $200. But it was well over the supposed $50 limit.

Whoa, really? Isn't the supposed restriction that you'll be refunded for everything BUT airfare?

MSPeconomist Aug 27, 18 4:54 pm


Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 30135358)
It works (and is subject to change without notice so do report your success in the thread linked above). Remember though that you can only use 3 gift cards per transaction and the can't be used for anything except flights. Probably not a problem if you fly delta regularly or don't mind booking a trip in separate PNR.

When I called the DM line recently for help with an international ticket where I also wanted to use some of my DL gift cards (from my regular Plat charge card) and had the numbers nice and handy to give to the agent, the DM agent volunteered to send me to manual ticketing so that I could use the fourth card too. I declined as I was concerned that my good fare would disappear, so I didn't verify that this was indeed now possible. YMMV but it can't hurt to ask.

DiggerDog Aug 27, 18 9:55 pm


Originally Posted by RumPatrol (Post 30126889)
Amex just reimbursed me for an actual ticket, not an upgrade charge or gift card. Purchased a $220 ticket, used $100 of eGC (which themselves were purchased with an Amex reimbursement for a different card) to lower the actual cost to $120 and put the $120 on my Platinum. A day after the charge hit, it showed a reimbursement for the full $120 charge. When I click the charge, it says "additional collection" but it is most definitely a ticket and shows the ticket number in the Amex dashboard. There was also a second reimbursement, which was for an upgrade charge on the same reservation and also shows the ticket number.

That's the first time I've ever had an actual ticket reimbursed. I have a feeling that because I used gift cards on the ticket itself, something weird happened in the coding to make it *think* it was an additional collection for the ticket rather than paying for the ticket itself. Not complaining one bit though, this is one of those good problems.

Anyone have this happen before?

I just had the same thing happen! Aug 24th I made a $260 ticket purchase with $100 in eGC, the remainder put on the platinum. Aug 25th I was reimbursed for the remaining $160.

jeffreymrimd Aug 28, 18 7:53 pm

Booked award tickets at DL web site..Tax was $83 x 2. Both reimbursed next day on Amex Biz Platinum.

flaco Aug 29, 18 10:43 pm

I chatted with customer service to change my airline selection (from United), waited until the change to Delta showed up online and then purchased 1 x $50 gift card (using a PC).
Posted on 8/24
Has not been reimbursed.

flaco Aug 29, 18 11:08 pm


Originally Posted by flaco (Post 30146370)
I chatted with customer service to change my airline selection (from United), waited until the change to Delta showed up online and then purchased 1 x $50 gift card (using a PC).
Posted on 8/24
Has not been reimbursed.

My post should be disregarded because I went back and saw that the selection was not changed for the account I made the purchase on.
I was under the impression that the selection was the same for all cards (and I thought I checked this account and saw Delta as the selection).
After I posted I checked again and saw that on another card the selection was Delta, but on the card I used for the gift card it was still United.
I just chatted with Amex again and requested this one be switched, but I'm sure it won't help for a prior purchase.

RumPatrol Aug 30, 18 2:31 am


Originally Posted by DiggerDog (Post 30137434)
I just had the same thing happen! Aug 24th I made a $260 ticket purchase with $100 in eGC, the remainder put on the platinum. Aug 25th I was reimbursed for the remaining $160.

Did your ticket show up as "additional collection" on your Amex account online? Wonder if we are on to something now. Use the gift cards from one year or from another card to pay for part of a ticket which will hopefully trigger the credit for another :D

pallhedge Aug 30, 18 7:44 am


Originally Posted by RumPatrol (Post 30146927)
Did your ticket show up as "additional collection" on your Amex account online? Wonder if we are on to something now. Use the gift cards from one year or from another card to pay for part of a ticket which will hopefully trigger the credit for another :D

This has worked for me on a couple of occasions. The last time was earlier this year.

cpmp Aug 30, 18 5:22 pm

Food purchases on a recent flight was refunded to me within a couple of days. text chatted with customer service and was able to get the fees from mileage rewards booking refunded as well.

mymikeole Aug 31, 18 12:26 pm

4 x $50GC on Aug 28th
4 x $50 credit on Aug 30th

Delta airlines
Amex Plat

DiggerDog Sep 1, 18 4:38 pm


Originally Posted by RumPatrol (Post 30146927)
Did your ticket show up as "additional collection" on your Amex account online? Wonder if we are on to something now. Use the gift cards from one year or from another card to pay for part of a ticket which will hopefully trigger the credit for another :D

Yes it was coded as "Additional Collection"

PingF Sep 6, 18 4:14 pm

1 x $50 Sept 5 bought gift card
1 x $50 Sept 6 credit

Desktop
Delta airlines
Amex Platinum

Still working

pointvortex Sep 7, 18 12:35 pm

Business Plat
4 x $50 9/5 - egift card
4 x $50 9/7 - airline fee reimbursement

bjywong Sep 8, 18 5:36 pm

Hilton Aspire
5 x $50 9/5 - egift card
5 x $50 9/7 - airline fee reimbursement


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.