FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

feom Jan 9, 17 1:06 pm

PGGM

PGGM working with Mileage booster, as far as I can tell.

bgriff Jan 9, 17 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 27710515)
Ahh...and my distaste for that approach to exploiting the credit is now renewed.

I have yet to understand why people are so eager to pay $450/yr for a travel-oriented credit/charge card when they apparently do not travel enough to make even marginally legitimate uses of the related benefits.

There are several additional issues with livestrongforever's understanding of DL's Comfort+ and "Premium Select" offerings that I won't even go into.

For those who have high-level elite status with an airline, a lot of the fees which this credit could be used for (baggage fees, award booking/change/cancel fees, same day change fees, lounge access fees) are waived, and those people are frequently upgraded and so don't need to buy food/drink onboard. For such people there really aren't many "legitimate" uses of the credit. Perhaps a change fee on a revenue ticket but that's about it.

I can't speak for others, but personally I have also gone for GCs because I almost never used my Plat card for spending in the past, so when I did need to pay an airline fee it wouldn't occur to me to use the Platinum card. But now that the Platinum card is the best card for airline spend, it will be easier to remember to get the credit for that reason, at least.

mia Jan 9, 17 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff (Post 27732797)
For those who have high-level elite status with an airline, a lot of the fees which this credit could be used for ... are waived,

For this reason some select their secondary airline, where they may not have status.

tomasdev Jan 9, 17 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 27733471)
For this reason some select their secondary airline, where they may not have status.

Nope. I buy GCs and then do MRs with those free credits :)

EDIT: Data point, got reimbursed on a Delta ticket, directly, no GC.

gooselee Jan 9, 17 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff (Post 27732797)
For those who have high-level elite status with an airline, a lot of the fees which this credit could be used for (baggage fees, award booking/change/cancel fees, same day change fees, lounge access fees) are waived, and those people are frequently upgraded and so don't need to buy food/drink onboard. For such people there really aren't many "legitimate" uses of the credit. Perhaps a change fee on a revenue ticket but that's about it.

I can't speak for others, but personally I have also gone for GCs because I almost never used my Plat card for spending in the past, so when I did need to pay an airline fee it wouldn't occur to me to use the Platinum card. But now that the Platinum card is the best card for airline spend, it will be easier to remember to get the credit for that reason, at least.

I understand the gift card route, regardless of whether or not I agree with it. It's basically a way to get $200 of airfare credit on either your primary or secondary airline. For frequent travelers, that makes sense, status or no.

But the method described in the other thread, which is what I was responding to, involved fraudulently buying a ticket you had no intent of using for the sole purpose of incurring fees that would trigger the credit, all of which you would then request refunds for. Zero actual travel involved.

So people doing that are paying net $250 for something like the Amex Plat which is very heavy on travel-related benefits, but they don't even book $200 worth of airfare in a year? :confused:

lcheng127 Jan 9, 17 11:56 pm

I just made my annual one-time airline change for the benefit to Delta.

Do I need to wait any amount of time before I make the eGC purchases to make sure it works? If so, how long? Or is it active immediately (i.e. i can make the eGC purchases literally minutes after changing the airline to Delta)?

Stgermainparis Jan 10, 17 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by lcheng127 (Post 27735311)
I just made my annual one-time airline change for the benefit to Delta.

Do I need to wait any amount of time before I make the eGC purchases to make sure it works? If so, how long? Or is it active immediately (i.e. i can make the eGC purchases literally minutes after changing the airline to Delta)?

I made mine minutes after and all good.

snic Jan 11, 17 9:25 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 27734864)
I understand the gift card route, regardless of whether or not I agree with it. It's basically a way to get $200 of airfare credit on either your primary or secondary airline. For frequent travelers, that makes sense, status or no.

But the method described in the other thread, which is what I was responding to, involved fraudulently buying a ticket you had no intent of using for the sole purpose of incurring fees that would trigger the credit, all of which you would then request refunds for. Zero actual travel involved.

So people doing that are paying net $250 for something like the Amex Plat which is very heavy on travel-related benefits, but they don't even book $200 worth of airfare in a year? :confused:

I also don't quite understand the need to commit (borderline) fraudulent activity to accomplish something that could, in most cases, be accomplished without it. But in general, as long as there's a loophole, someone will exploit it. Someone recently posted that they plan to reduce their credit limit for the Chase Sapphire Reserve to $1500, because apparently federal law prevents banks from charging (large?) annual fees for credit cards with low credit lines. (So, they take the 100k points and $300 travel credit, but don't pay the annual fee.) I can think of any number of reasons why this is a terrible idea, but it's a loophole and therefore someone jumped through it.

bgriff Jan 11, 17 11:34 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 27734864)

I agree with you that the method described in the other thread does feel a bit too dishonest for my tastes personally. But, I don't agree with your assumption that someone would use that method because they don't travel.

It's entirely possible that they do travel a lot, but for one reason or another just want to be sure they get the $200 credit, without the one extra step of the GC route. (One reason or another could be: high elite status so don't pay fees; worried they'll forget to use Plat card when fees do come up; fly mostly on foreign airlines which are not eligible for the credit; don't fly the same airline more than once or twice per year so worried they'll select the wrong airline; etc etc etc)

The net effect on Amex is basically the same as the GC route, and the net effect on Delta would be just about the same as well, so I guess maybe it isn't really any more dishonest. Up to each person to decide for themselves.

(And, if they don't travel at all, then they are costing Amex pretty much zero in exchange for the revenue of the remaining $250 annual fee, so they may well be more profitable customers than some people who pay $450, don't use the credit, but use lounges and other benefits constantly. So maybe Amex would be perfectly happy with that.)

GK8 Jan 11, 17 8:56 pm

Bought 4x50 in one transaction. Posted on 1/6, reimbursed on 1/7.

snic Jan 12, 17 7:04 am

Originally Posted by bgriff (Post 27744313)
The net effect on Amex is basically the same as the GC route, and the net effect on Delta would be just about the same as well

Not quite. Delta incurs costs when someone books a ticket, and costs when someone cancels. On the other hand, when someone buys a GC (which is nonrefundable), the costs (to Delta) of the transaction are outweighed by the net benefit (a zero interest cash loan to Delta, which results in either a future ticket purchase or a gift to Delta if the recipient forgets about the GC).

bgriff Jan 12, 17 7:42 am

A reimbursement data point:

Tried buying a $100 GC as a test, since it has worked for AA people. Alas, has not been reimbursed ~10 days later.

4x $50 GCs were reimbursed the day after they posted.

So just to reemphasize that $50 remains the way to go.

C W Jan 14, 17 2:17 am

Does anybody know the MR earning situation with these reimbursements? Do we get nothing, 1 MR point per dollar, or could they possibly trigger the new 5x on the Platinum?

bgriff Jan 14, 17 11:39 am

Originally Posted by C W (Post 27759021)
Does anybody know the MR earning situation with these reimbursements? Do we get nothing, 1 MR point per dollar, or could they possibly trigger the new 5x on the Platinum?

Most likely they will be valid for the 5x. They have earned the 3x on the PRG for me in the past (with no counter-balancing removal of bonus points due to the credit). So, free 1,000 points on the Platinum and 300 on the PRG.

laxatives Jan 15, 17 9:05 pm

Bought 4x $50 gift cards in one transaction which posted as 4 separate expenses on my statement. It was immediately covered by the Delta fee reimbursement. But 10 days later, it was reversed and now I'm stuck with a $200 balance on my card. Has anyone else experienced the same?