FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

asdfghjk Jan 1, 17 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 27658038)
If anyone wants to try booking a Delta flight with two $50 eCerts and a credit card, then cancelling within 24 hours, and letting me know if the eCerts get refunded as one $100 eCert or back to the same $50 eCerts, I would be very grateful :) I really don't fly revenue fares on Delta enough to use a bunch of $50 eCerts- I would pick United instead for the TravelBank. (but prefer Delta to United if the eCerts can be combined using this method)

Any data point on this? Thanks.

qupasyd Jan 2, 17 7:26 pm

DP: eCert Refunds

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 27658038)
If anyone wants to try booking a Delta flight with two $50 eCerts and a credit card, then cancelling within 24 hours, and letting me know if the eCerts get refunded as one $100 eCert or back to the same $50 eCerts, I would be very grateful :) I really don't fly revenue fares on Delta enough to use a bunch of $50 eCerts- I would pick United instead for the TravelBank. (but prefer Delta to United if the eCerts can be combined using this method)

I have a DP on this from November 2016. I booked a flight using two $50 eCerts and a bit of cash then cancelled after a major schedule change. The telephone agent wasn't able to process the refund or give me refund details on the spot -- the cancellation request was passed along to Passenger Refunds. I was hoping for a single $100 eCert, but about a week later I was issued two new $50 eCerts. (The cash payment was credited back to my card two days after my phone call.)

Duke787 Jan 3, 17 3:12 pm

Using my $200 for another 2x TATL C+ "upgrades" - will report back with results. Don't anticipate issues since it worked on a TATL C+ upgrade without issue in 2016.

a1bunny Jan 3, 17 9:44 pm

I just purchased 2 $50 egiftcard in one transaction. guess I won't receive the credit? How stupid I was :(

arctann Jan 4, 17 3:01 am

Originally Posted by arctann (Post 27660145)
Successfully changed my dad's airline from UA to DL using the online chat just now. Simple and quick. He got rejected trying to do that when calling in a few days back.

Just put in an order for 4x$50 eCerts. Will post back with results.

12/26: 4x$50 eCerts purchase posts
12/27: 4x$50 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement

hockeystl Jan 4, 17 8:55 am

Still working in 2017. 4x$50 E-gift cards purchased in ONE transaction on DL's website on Jan 2nd. Credits reflected this morning on my online statement.

JAN3
AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement
-$50.00
AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement JAN3
-$50.00
-$50.00
-$50.00
DELTA AIR LINES - ATLANTA JAN2
DELTA AIR LINES - ATLANTA
$50.00
$50.00
$50.00
$50.00

pobrien1902 Jan 4, 17 11:46 am

Data Point from Dec., 2016: I booked a one-way flight using 3 $50 e-certs then cancelled online within 24 hours. I called an agent to inquire how I would be reimbursed(was hoping for one $150 e-cert), but he informed me that the 3 $50 e-certs would be returned and reactivated.

This was pretty disappointing because the reason I purchased the 3 e-certs in 2016 was with the intention of combining them into one. I may have to consider changing preferred airlines on AMEX this month to make this strategy work for another carrier. Any ideas?

mia Jan 4, 17 11:50 am

Welcome to Flyertalk, and thank you for the excellent report.

Originally Posted by pobrien1902 (Post 27703696)
...I may have to consider changing preferred airlines on AMEX this month to make this strategy work for another carrier. Any ideas?

I believe the United Airlines Gift Registry will allow you to use larger amounts when purchasing a single ticket, if that's what you are trying to accomplish. Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-ua-only.html

snic Jan 4, 17 4:15 pm

What happens for fees charged on 12/31 that post on 1/1?

I bought some meals on a flight on 12/31. The purchase took me over the fee credit amount for 2016, but I noticed that Amex reimbursed the entire amount. Even though the "pending" transaction was dated 12/31, it posted with a 1/1 date, and I suspected that Amex applied the 12/31 purchases to the 2017 credit.

So I contacted Amex via online chat and the agent said she fixed it so that the charges would apply towards the 2016 credit (and I'd be charged the extra amount that had been reimbursed but shouldn't have been).

(Note that this could actually work to your advantage: if you have a 12/31 flight and have maxed out the credit for the year, the in-flight charges will most likely apply to next year and will get automatically reimbursed.)

GUWonder Jan 4, 17 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by snic (Post 27705166)
I bought some meals on a flight on 12/31. The purchase took me over the fee credit amount for 2016, but I noticed that Amex reimbursed the entire amount. Even though the "pending" transaction was dated 12/31, it posted with a 1/1 date, and I suspected that Amex applied the 12/31 purchases to the 2017 credit.

So I contacted Amex via online chat and the agent said she fixed it so that the charges would apply towards the 2016 credit (and I'd be charged the extra amount that had been reimbursed but shouldn't have been).

(Note that this could actually work to your advantage: if you have a 12/31 flight and have maxed out the credit for the year, the in-flight charges will most likely apply to next year and will get automatically reimbursed.)

I had this kind of thing hit too. I will call up as well. Thanks.

livestrongforever Jan 5, 17 12:25 am

Anyone know if PGGM still works? I know that Delta Comfort went away but can we use a similar method and instead upgrade to the Premium Class?

holocker Jan 5, 17 12:53 am

Had a $150 change fee reimbursed by AMEX. Bought the ticket on Dec 30, but it posted on Jan 1, so credit was applied this year even though I had about $75 left from last year.

gooselee Jan 5, 17 8:06 am

Originally Posted by livestrongforever (Post 27707231)
Anyone know if PGGM still works? I know that Delta Comfort went away but can we use a similar method and instead upgrade to the Premium Class?

What is PGGM? Since Delta Premium doesn't physically exist in service yet, I doubt anyone is going to have experience paying for it or upgrading to it.

mia Jan 5, 17 8:11 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 27708432)
What is PGGM?....

If I recall correctly it was the technique explained here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...line-gc-s.html

robe0341 Jan 5, 17 9:20 am

Another data point on award ticket fees.

Bought 3 Delta award tickets ($89.06 in taxes and fees each) on 1/1 (posted on 1/3).
I got two refunds for 89.06 and one for 21.88 on 1/4.