FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

achen24 Nov 11, 19 9:08 am

Refundable Fares

Hey guys so i'm stuck in a slight bind in that I don't have any concrete upcoming travel plans for me to utilize the $250 amex hilton credit. So my current thought is to use the eGift card trick to book a Refundable fare on delta for a future trip that may/may not change. This way if I need to change the flight for any reason I should still theoretically be covered since it's refundable. I actually need to read up on delta's refundable fare policies but does any one see any flaw in this plan? Thanks.

gooselee Nov 11, 19 9:23 am

Originally Posted by achen24 (Post 31724917)
Hey guys so i'm stuck in a slight bind in that I don't have any concrete upcoming travel plans for me to utilize the $250 amex hilton credit. So my current thought is to use the eGift card trick to book a Refundable fare on delta for a future trip that may/may not change. This way if I need to change the flight for any reason I should still theoretically be covered since it's refundable. I actually need to read up on delta's refundable fare policies but does any one see any flaw in this plan? Thanks.

1. It will potentially cost you more than a $250 premium to book a refundable fare, vs. just not using the credit and booking a nonrefundable ticket once your travel plans are known.
2. DL/Amex could close this loophole at any time and you will have no recourse.
3. DL/Amex could choose to claw back the credit when you refund the ticket and you will have no recourse.
4. Ticket may be changeable/refundable but still require a change/cancellation fee, meaning you've now lost an additional $200, on top of the refundable ticket fare premium.

Could it work? Maybe. Is it a good idea and worth the risk? Up to you.

phant0m Nov 11, 19 9:59 am

That 3 day activation on the gift card screwed me. Price for my flight doubled. Sigh.

jamesteroh Nov 11, 19 10:06 am

Originally Posted by phant0m (Post 31725092)
That 3 day activation on the gift card screwed me. Price for my flight doubled. Sigh.

Same thing happened to me last week. I bought gift cards thinking I could use them right away and found out there was a 72 hour wait and the cost of the airfare went up a lot:( Wonder why Delta has a 72-hour wait, the funds are already authorized to your credit card immediately.

rice4u Nov 11, 19 10:16 am

Originally Posted by rice4u (Post 31714015)
Nov 7: added 2x $59 mileage booster (118$) to future Delta flight (12/12 /2019) on the Hilton Aspire.

Update:

Nov 11th: Statement shows Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S) so hopefully they credit back soon.

KeRiSvo Nov 11, 19 10:24 am

I need to book a $1k flight. Not seeing many dp on this but I assume ticket price won't matter? I plan to use 4x50 gift cards on the purchase with my Plat for the $200 credit.

mia Nov 11, 19 11:27 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 31725117)
.... funds are already authorized to your credit card immediately.

That's the pending transaction. The final transaction takes a few days to post, because that's part of the way airlines handle the 24 hour cancellation requirement, and they use the same payment system for gift cards. Large companies like Delta also have their own fraud algorithms, and may decline a transaction even if it is approved by the card issuer.

JFKLAX321 Nov 11, 19 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 31560863)
So you a) blatantly lied to the agent, b) within said lie requested credit for something that isn't eligible anyway, then c) came on to a public forum to complain (or maybe brag?) about it.

If Amex takes this benefit away, this will be part of the reason why.

Oh, please.
  • If by take away "this benefit" you mean the $200 airline credit, I don't think there's cause for concern. This is already the weakest "travel" credit out there, and Amex would lose a lot of customers that use the reimbursement to justify the annual fee. For me, there's no reason to have the Platinum card aside from lounge access and the airline, Uber, and Sak's credits. Maybe the 5x points on airfare is worth it to some, but I don't pay for business flights so the 3x on Gold (and now Green) or CSR suffices for me.
  • If by "this benefit" you mean reimbursement for DL tickets when paying partially with a gift card and partially with a Platinum card, then you're being hypocritical. That may trigger a refund, but it's not actually eligible for reimbursement. If that "benefit" is taken away, it will be because it is not, and was never intended to be, a benefit at all.

gregsfortytwo Nov 11, 19 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by KeRiSvo (Post 31725168)
I need to book a $1k flight. Not seeing many dp on this but I assume ticket price won't matter? I plan to use 4x50 gift cards on the purchase with my Plat for the $200 credit.

There are a number of data points that ticket price does matter and you need to get the amount paid <$250 or it won't be reimbursed. For a $1k flight you're probably stuck; unless you have a pretty sizable Delta credit you can use (eg, for Denied Boarding compensation), or buying one-way tickets comes out to the same price (and, for you, a one-way costs <$450).

gooselee Nov 11, 19 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by JFKLAX321 (Post 31726278)
Oh, please.
  • If by take away "this benefit" you mean the $200 airline credit, I don't think there's cause for concern. This is already the weakest "travel" credit out there, and Amex would lose a lot of customers that use the reimbursement to justify the annual fee. For me, there's no reason to have the Platinum card aside from lounge access and the airline, Uber, and Sak's credits. Maybe the 5x points on airfare is worth it to some, but I don't pay for business flights so the 3x on Gold (and now Green) or CSR suffices for me.
  • If by "this benefit" you mean reimbursement for DL tickets when paying partially with a gift card and partially with a Platinum card, then you're being hypocritical. That may trigger a refund, but it's not actually eligible for reimbursement. If that "benefit" is taken away, it will be because it is not, and was never intended to be, a benefit at all.

1. So you're saying there are several things other than the $200 airline credit that make the card valuable to you, such as lounge access, Uber credits, and Saks credits?

2. I don't think this is the proper use of the word "hypocritical".

wr2 Nov 11, 19 9:35 pm

I'm trying to decide which airline to select on my Amex Aspire. It seems like the Delta is the easiest option to burn the credit with the split tender option. Any issues with buying refundable ticket and cancelling after credit posts, aside from potentially raising the ire of the Amex RAT team? I'm not sure I have any domestic travel plans I could book before year end. Are there any other low hanging fruit with other airlines to consider?

EqualOpp Nov 11, 19 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 31725117)
Same thing happened to me last week. I bought gift cards thinking I could use them right away and found out there was a 72 hour wait and the cost of the airfare went up a lot:( Wonder why Delta has a 72-hour wait, the funds are already authorized to your credit card immediately.

Can't one buy a Delta GC at the Supermarket?

sSSspidermanNNn Nov 12, 19 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Jing Xian Ng (Post 31711078)
For everyone: any datapoints on triggering the credit and refunding the fare? If so, what form does the refund take? Delta GCs? Split between refund to original GC and statement credit to Amex CC?

I have the same question. Anyone have tried this?

Cap'n Benj Nov 12, 19 6:13 am

Just seen the news on the Gift card situation.

Its the straw that breaks the camel's back with me. Just paid my annual renewal and my wide asked if we get value from it. With current travel patterns, it seems that we no longer will.

I have the DL Amex. I will be downgrading my this to the lowest MR card they have and take a Chase offer I think. Back on the AMEX bandwagon as and when they offer me some kind of bonus

jamesteroh Nov 12, 19 8:09 am

Originally Posted by EqualOpp (Post 31727495)
Can't one buy a Delta GC at the Supermarket?

Yes but when I wanted to buy that fare it would have meant driving to Kroger and buying the card and then coming home and hoping the fare didn't increase. I also noticed on Delta's website to allow 24 hours to use a card purchased at a retail location.

Grocery stores can be a good deal for Delta frequent flyers who have a Chase Freedom and Chase Sapphire reserve card when they have supermarkets as a 5% bonus quarterly category. My Kroger allows you to chose the amounts so I buy a bunch of $200 gift cards and transfer the points to my CSR which means 7.5 percent back if you use it for travel. With the smaller gift card amounts I can arrange it so part of the fare has to go on my CSR card for the travel insurance protection.