FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

gracetheyoung Sep 17, 2019 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sinter (Post 31514414)
2 data points, wife and I each purchased separate $50 gift cards and purchased flights separately on each of our Hilton Amex Aspire cards.

9/8 - Purchased Delta Ticket with $50 GC and $191.60 on AMEX Hilton Aspire

9/9 - Charge switched from PENDING to POSTED - charge listed as Delta Airlines Atlanta for statement purposes and was worried it wouldn't trigger credit

9/11 - Reimbursement Posted for both of us for full $191.60 and meter moved

So I'm buying a $600 Delta ticket. I have 2 amex plat cards to use up the credit. I wonder if I split the flights and buy one there, one return, and buy 2 $50 gift card and put the REST on the CC if that will work?

EDIT: Never mind - cannot book one ways - but I'm hoping if I split across two credit cards with $200 credit each + gift cards maybe that'll trigger?

EDIT EDIT: Never mind. YOu can't use two CCs

gracetheyoung Sep 17, 2019 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by liwaya (Post 31500473)
Datapoint:
1. Sep 4, I bought a returnable ticket of $821.30, with GC $575 and Hilton Aspire $246.3
2. Sep 4, I called the Delta call center and changed the ticket to another one, and charged me the price difference of $51.93 with Hilton Aspire
3. Both the transactions were posted on Sep 6, with Document Type: ADDITIONAL COLLECTION
4. Sep 7, the meter moved and shows that You have used all of your $250 Airline Fee Credit for this year.

So BOTH of your transactions triggered it? If I have to buy a $400 ticket, do I need to buy a $50 and put $350 on the card, or do I need to buy a $250 gift card and put $150 on my card [if my card offers $200 credit]

Zorak Sep 18, 2019 4:06 am

Originally Posted by gracetheyoung (Post 31536605)

Maybe if booked over the phone?

Originally Posted by gracetheyoung (Post 31536612)
So BOTH of your transactions triggered it? If I have to buy a $400 ticket, do I need to buy a $50 and put $350 on the card, or do I need to buy a $250 gift card and put $150 on my card [if my card offers $200 credit]

Based on what we know I think the latter is a safer choice.

fastpoint Sep 18, 2019 9:24 am

Originally Posted by gracetheyoung (Post 31536605)
So I'm buying a $600 Delta ticket. I have 2 amex plat cards to use up the credit. I wonder if I split the flights and buy one there, one return, and buy 2 $50 gift card and put the REST on the CC if that will work?

EDIT: Never mind - cannot book one ways - but I'm hoping if I split across two credit cards with $200 credit each + gift cards maybe that'll trigger?

Why cannot book one ways? Are there data points showing this does not work with one ways?

Statman Sep 18, 2019 9:32 am

9/14: used points for two one-way award tickets and paid the taxes and fees ($119 each) using Amex Platinum and Gold.

9/18: credited $100 on Gold and the remaining balance of $81 on Platinum today.

Charvey92 Sep 19, 2019 1:05 am

I'm going to try to make a roughly $1100 purchase using $900 in GCs/eGCs - is there any consensus on whether it matters if you use a physical Gift Card or an e-GC yet? I still need to purchase my GC or eGC and I'm trying to figure out if it matters which I use. Everyone has been using the shorthand GC for everything but I don't know if that's just typing convenience or if everyone has been using true GCs.

Zorak Sep 19, 2019 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Charvey92 (Post 31540910)
I'm going to try to make a roughly $1100 purchase using $900 in GCs/eGCs - is there any consensus on whether it matters if you use a physical Gift Card or an e-GC yet?

Shouldn't matter.

euromannn Sep 19, 2019 5:16 am

• "Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed."
Enrolled in Schwab Amex Plat Sept 17, 2019 and based on thread $200 airline credit from AMEX resets calendar year not anniversary date.

Does AMEX reimbursement for GC purchase ($50) work on different airlines (AA, AS etc) still with AMEX reimbursement for GC purchased on other airlines just not DL?

​​​​​​​Can I for example buy x4($50) GC on AA in 2019 get reimburse then buy x4($50) GC starting Jan 1, 2020?

mia Sep 19, 2019 7:48 am

Originally Posted by euromannn (Post 31541298)
Does AMEX reimbursement for GC purchase ($50) work on different airlines

No. American Express always excluded gift cards by rule, and practice is now aligned with policy - they are not reimbursed for any airline. The workaround is to use a giftcard to pay a portion of the cost of a ticket, and then pay the balance with the Platinum card. The system may mistake that transaction for a fee and reimburse. The specifics vary by airline, read the appropriate thread.

euromannn Sep 19, 2019 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 31540915)
Shouldn't matter.

How does award travel work if no payment for ticket but fees $34.00 one way?
Seems awkward to part pay $34.00 GC and part remaining with CC (especially on internet booking)and then get reimbursed.
Also AMEX Plat voids trip insurance on award travel if as full ticket must be paid with card AMEX claims.
Chase CSR card only requires partial payment so paying only fees apply to get trip coverage.

Sinter Sep 19, 2019 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by gracetheyoung (Post 31536612)

Both triggered it correct. From what I've seen in this thread, the general consensus is that any remaining balance under $200 after applying gift cards should trigger the credit. A few people have had it work over $200, but that seems to be the exception rather than the norm.

Zorak Sep 19, 2019 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by euromannn (Post 31542390)
How does award travel work if no payment for ticket but fees $34.00 one way?
Seems awkward to part pay $34.00 GC and part remaining with CC (especially on internet booking)and then get reimbursed.

Searching the thread for "award" would show that, in practice, recent experience is that the full amount of taxes and fees gets reimbursed on an award ticket, so there's no need to split payment with a gift card.

oekalb Sep 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Trying to get my Platinum bonus... I bought a $50 eGift card, and when I went to the Review and Pay section, under Payment, it said I had to redeem the gift card under delta.com/redeem. Whereas in the email it said I could apply the eGift card at the payment page. Am I missing something here?

Zorak Sep 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by oekalb (Post 31542899)
Trying to get my Platinum bonus... I bought a $50 eGift card, and when I went to the Review and Pay section, under Payment, it said I had to redeem the gift card under delta.com/redeem. Whereas in the email it said I could apply the eGift card at the payment page. Am I missing something here?

Delta recently "enhanced" the web site and, for a while, made it so that you had to *start* from the /redeem link in order to redeem a GC. If you went through the booking process and wanted to apply a GC at checkout, it'd make you click through to that link and start everything over again :td: :mad:

So it's probably just a matter of the email template not catching up to the latest web site "features" -- except on the last couple weeks or so it appeared that they had (at least temporarily) fixed the checkout flow so that it was over again possible to apply a GC without losing your selected flight etc.

Bottom line, YMMV and it's subject to the whims of DL's crack squad of web designers and UI/UX experts :rolleyes:

oekalb Sep 19, 2019 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 31542914)
So it's probably just a matter of the email template not catching up to the latest web site "features" -- except on the last couple weeks or so it appeared that they had (at least temporarily) fixed the checkout flow so that it was over again possible to apply a GC without losing your selected flight etc.

Yeah, I went through the redeem link they had in the checkout. This time I didn't log in, and it seemed that it applied it properly like I had seen previously in the thread. I think last time I tried (a few weeks ago), I had been logged in and it tried to apply the GC to my account, and then it made the payment weird, and didn't trigger the incidental reimbursement. But this time it looked different so it may work.