Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaxVO
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm genuinely curious - what is the goal of doing this GC+AddCollect booking then refund? Even if Amex doesn't claw back the credit, you're still left with a DL GC, no?

I get that with the old GC route it was a workaround for people to apply the Amex credit toward airfare, the argument being that people who travel a ton often have status and other benefits resulting in very few incidental fees. However in this case you're not even taking the flight.

Are there really that many people who hold an Amex Plat AND are electing DL as their airline fee choice AND are taking the step to buy a DL GC, but have no intent to actually book any DL tickets over the course of a year?
ijgordon and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
7/28 Booked refundable one way ticket from A to B with Amex Plat for $281
7/28 Changed ticket to C to D with a nonrefundable fare of $528. Paid fare difference with Hilton Aspire
7/30 Received credit for $247 on the Aspire card
MNSWEEps, HawaiiO, zortapa and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:42 am

Here is where I think we stand with upgrades:

Main Cabin to Comfort+ might work (some say it should, despite being different classes - but we have no actual DPs on here that I found).

Upgrading to First Class and paying the full fee with an Amex did not work. There is an open question as to whether splitting this upgrade fee with a gift card will allow the residual amount to be reimbursed (presumably on the same "additional collection" theory as with tickets).

Finally, does anyone know whether purchasing a Comfort+ or First Class ticket from the start (without later upgrading) via the gift card split and "additional collection" residual method will be reimbursed similar to an ordinary economy ticket? I would assume so (as long as still <~$250 residual), but I don't see any actual DPs on this.

Thanks to everyone for your various DPs on all of this - and everything else recently.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Normally DL vouchers (and IIRC gift cards) are nontransferable but they can be applied equally to other passengers on the same PNR. The agent could have split your $150 evenly over the two tickets and you would have received a bigger credit. However, you would have needed to call DL to book the tickets to do this.
Just curious, have you actually done this - or is it still just a theory at this point? Did the phone agent wonder why you cared how the gift card was applied as between the two tickets? Not sure I'd want to explain that one.

I ask because I'm in a situation where I may need to purchase two seats together, and I would want both to qualify for the credit. One is for a child, and I believe there will be "child traveling alone" issues and fees if I try to book a separate ticket for a child alone. I've had similar issues in the past, anyway - albeit a different airline.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
i'm genuinely curious - what is the goal of doing this gc+addcollect booking then refund? Even if amex doesn't claw back the credit, you're still left with a dl gc, no?

I get that with the old gc route it was a workaround for people to apply the amex credit toward airfare, the argument being that people who travel a ton often have status and other benefits resulting in very few incidental fees. However in this case you're not even taking the flight.

Are there really that many people who hold an amex plat and are electing dl as their airline fee choice and are taking the step to buy a dl gc, but have no intent to actually book any dl tickets over the course of a year?
sell the gc
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by BNAChairman
7/28 Booked refundable one way ticket from A to B with Amex Plat for $281
7/28 Changed ticket to C to D with a nonrefundable fare of $528. Paid fare difference with Hilton Aspire
7/30 Received credit for $247 on the Aspire card
Can such ticket change be done online, or require an agent?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by SPLP007
sell the gc
I guess. Seems like an awful lot of work/hassle/potential risk just to monetize this benefit. At the end of the day all you're really doing is recouping part of a CC AF that you don't need to pay to begin with. This applies especially to DL since the SkyClub benefit is arguably one of the bigger value propositions of the card - but it's only usable if you actually fly DL.
bgriff and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Can such ticket change be done online, or require an agent?
All transactions completed online.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:26 pm

7/27 Booked $576 ticket using $300 in GC and $276 on my amex platinum
7/28 Posted as 'Additional Charge'
7/31 - still no credit
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
I guess. Seems like an awful lot of work/hassle/potential risk just to monetize this benefit. At the end of the day all you're really doing is recouping part of a CC AF that you don't need to pay to begin with. This applies especially to DL since the SkyClub benefit is arguably one of the bigger value propositions of the card - but it's only usable if you actually fly DL.
Well, the title of this thread gives a pretty clear idea what subject is being discussed. Everyone sharing their experiences are fully aware how much effort they expended. If you're joining to argue that this discussion should stop, it's not going to happen. It's just one of those threads that's not applicable to your interests.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Well, the title of this thread gives a pretty clear idea what subject is being discussed. Everyone sharing their experiences are fully aware how much effort they expended. If you're joining to argue that this discussion should stop, it's not going to happen. It's just one of those threads that's not applicable to your interests.
Not the point at all and also not the sole purpose of this thread (as evidenced by the wiki), but ok.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dicoverist
Another DP - Consistent with what others have posted.

7/29 - Purchased $277 one way ticket with 2 $50 GCs on new AMEX Plat
7/30 - Charge Posted as DELTA AIR LINES and Additional Collection with ticket #
7/31 - Meter moved and credit of $177 posted
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue & Southwest
Good day,

First off, thanks to all for your data points & advice.

I was also successful in buying Delta award tickets and paying the taxes with my wife's new Amex Gold. Charged $46.90 & $68.03 on July 30th and reimbursed $100 (in 2 credits) on July 31st. I guess for now this is a simple way for me to use them. I have to buy 5 tickets soon and will use some GC that I've accumulated once I get the Hilton Aspire. See if that combination of GC plus payment will trigger the credits.

Cheers.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Rboed
7/27 Booked $576 ticket using $300 in GC and $276 on my amex platinum
7/28 Posted as 'Additional Charge'
7/31 - still no credit
Thanks for your first post! Did you notice if the meter moved after the charge? You can find this on your benefits page where the airline fee is
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPLP007
sell the gc
People will pay full price for it? Why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.