Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaxVO
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:43 am

First Class Upgrade?

Does anyone know if this will work for upgrades from C+ to First? Officially no, but I'm curious about the reality.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by wolverinechris
Does anyone know if this will work for upgrades from C+ to First? Officially no, but I'm curious about the reality.
Didnt work for me when I tried after June 22
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fobster
I purchased a refundable ticket for a September flight. I was going to wait few weeks before I cancel. I figured they will credit my CC and give me the rest in some kind of credit either a voucher or GC. This is my first time, so we shall see.
A refundable ticket normally gives a refund to the original means of payment (credit card), not a voucher or credit.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Happy
The answer is NO. It can be refundable but still subj to change fee / cancellation fee - the details are in the FARE RULES fine print. All the word "refundable" means is, you would get back something after any applicable fee at cancellation, versus nonrefundable the ticket becomes 0 value at cancellation.

Long gone are the days a refundable means 100% refund. If you plan to go this route - BE SURE you UNDERSTAND the Fare Rules that you can pull up during the process of booking. It is usually a clickable words that brings up a pop up window of the long and hard to understand Fare Rules.

The quick and dirty way to identify if there is any fee is to quickly scan any $ amount shows up in the body of the Fare Rules, and if so, does that apply to your intended action.

Failing to check the fare rules and blindly assuming a fare marked as refundable would get you 100% refund back can get you a nasty rude awakening when you go to cancel it.

All Refundable means is, some or full fare of the ticket is refundable, even after the fee you ended up only a few bucks left or nothing left...

Only when there is 0 fee indicated by the Fare Rules that you will receive full refund, and the refund usually goes back to the OFP, unless in UA or AA's cases the agent can manually process it to the OFP you choose. No idea about DL.

I have done many refundable tickets with AA and UA to "rollover" the transportation vouchers which carry 12 months shelf life, and know the importance to read the Fare Rules. While I have not done DL's I feel certain it works the same way. The Fare Rules govern the fee, and how much you would get back when cancel the ticket, not the word "refundable".

Only WN and AS would give you 100% credit stored in your account when you cancel a ticket that meets the criteria primarily based on calendar and not fare rules. The 3 legacy airlines go by fare rules.
In some ways, you're generally describing rules used by foreign carriers.

For most USA airlines and/or on exUSA tickets, refundable works as you described, although the FULL fares are still generally refundable without a fee. However, nonrefundable fares tend to be changeable for a fee, usually $150-200 for domestic tickets and $250-500 on international. The remainder becomes an airline credit/voucher, not a refund. It's generally not the case that there's no residual value unless the fare is lower than the change fee. On many foreign carriers, discounted tickets (including business class) tend to have fare rules that say that all value is lost if the ticket is not flown exactly as written, so that no changes whatsoever are permitted (except in IROPs).
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by fobster
Long time lurker here. Recently switched to DL. Switched my Plat to DL from AA in June on top of Hilton Aspire just in time for them to stop GC reimbursement. Below are my experience.

JUN17 $50 GC
JUN18 $50 Reimbursed
JUN21 $50 *2 GC. Still not reimbursed. (exact same coding as 17th GC)

JUL11 Purchased $351 ticket - $100 (GC) = $251.
JUL13 $200 Reimbursed.

I haven't cancelled my refundable ticket yet. I guess final step left. Thanks.
Related data point:
JUL 13: $150 GC
JUL 13: $50 GC
(Neither reimbursed, as expected)

JUL 15: Purchased non-refundable $468 ticket w/ Aspire and $150 GC
JUL 17: $318 posted as "Additional Collection w/ a ticket number"
JUL 23: No reimbursement ($250 Delta credit avail on Aspire)
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:13 am

Some data points.

July 18th purchased a 340 dollar refundable ticket used 2 €50 dollar Gift Cards and paid the rest with my platinum Amex card. The 240 showed up as additional collection and on the 20th of July I got 200 dollars airline reimbursement.

Now I'm going to wait a couple of months and cancel the ticket and hopefully Amex can’t claw back the airline credit.

I’m assuming Delta will just issue another 100 dollar gift card to me. The rest will go back on my platinum card.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by KennyWu
Related data point:

I heard it only works with additional collections until 250. Try again with a one way refundable ticket that costs less. It should work then
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In some ways, you're generally describing rules used by foreign carriers.

For most USA airlines and/or on exUSA tickets, refundable works as you described, although the FULL fares are still generally refundable without a fee. However, nonrefundable fares tend to be changeable for a fee, usually $150-200 for domestic tickets and $250-500 on international. The remainder becomes an airline credit/voucher, not a refund. It's generally not the case that there's no residual value unless the fare is lower than the change fee. On many foreign carriers, discounted tickets (including business class) tend to have fare rules that say that all value is lost if the ticket is not flown exactly as written, so that no changes whatsoever are permitted (except in IROPs).
No.
There are plenty of "refundable tickets" in AA's system that carry change fees.

Many of AA's refundable fares carry change fees of several hundreds, whenever change is made. Some of them the change fee only applies during certain black out periods. I came across one of such last year.

The 100% refundable fares these days are Full Fares, or Flexible Fares, that you can change any time at will, no black out dates, during the duration of the ticket validity time - that is, 12 months from the date of issue. Far more often than not, the AA Y fare, the true 100% refundable, is more expensive than the A fare, (the Upfare for business class, described as refundable, but many of them carry a change fee.)

The above information given, is based on own experiences that I fortunately or unfortunately, have a combined value of close to $10K of UA and AA transportation vouchers from prior canceled tickets value to "roll over" each year, since a few years ago. Since I need to preserve the value of such, the "place holder" tickets I buy MUST BE 100% refundable, I check the Fare Rules Very Carefully to make sure - that is when I have discovered the description of "refundable" by the airlines, is extremely deceiving - to most laymen, and even person like you who seemingly would have known.

As an example, many AA business Upfares show as Refundable on their site at purchase, but lots of them carrying $200 and up change fee. There are discussions in AA forum every now and then ever since this type of fares were introduced well over 5 years ago. People were caught off guard precisely because they made the assumption you said here. You can do a search in AA forum about why and when a refundable ticket is not fully refundable and read the DPs yourself.

The latest 100% refundable ticket I used to roll over the remaining $2K value from AA, was done last year - that fare has had a ton of restriction on WHEN the ticket is cancelled / changed, to determine whether there is a fee or not. When I do the roll over of AA I always head to the AA ticketing office in our town to have the agent double-checked. She agreed with me, that this fare is NOT always 100% refundable, or free change - depends on when you perform that action. Since I know about the restrictions therefore would avoid the restrictive periods, we used that fare to get a place holder ticket of just over $1K, therefore would use both transportation voucher, got back the bal of the 2nd voucher in the form of a new voucher that has another 12 months' life.

With UA, (since the CO days), it is eCert that cannot be easily rolled due to the residual balance will still be on the same eCert. Also at cancelling the place holder ticket, there could be times NO amount was returned to a new eCert and only the portion paid with CC got refunded - so I had to call to get this straightened. There was also times the less knowledgeable front line Indian reps denied the refund due to payment with eCert but escalation to supervisors usually resolved that. Another time the Indian center insisted to refund ALL amount to the credit card. Sure, I would take that!

The gist is, if one decides to try the Refundable Tickets route, their better bet is to go with WN or AS, whose rules seem to be far easier to deal with. But people still need to read the Fare Rules, and DONT assume the general meaning of Refundable that what you think is the same as what the Airlines Fare Rules say.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KennyWu
Related data point:

The consensus is, the amount should be $200 or below in order for the system to "consider" it as eligible expenses, such as check bag fees...
If after another few weeks it remains not being reimbursed, we probably can safely assume that this gig needs to be under $200 in order for it to work.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:39 am

No.
There are plenty of "refundable tickets" in AA's system that carry change fees.

Many of AA's refundable fares carry change fees of several hundreds, whenever change is made. Some of them the change fee only applies during certain black out periods. I came across one of such last year.

The 100% refundable fares these days are Full Fares, or Flexible Fares, that you can change any time at will, no black out dates, during the duration of the ticket validity time - that is, 12 months from the date of issue. Far more often than not, the AA Y fare, the true 100% refundable, is more expensive than the A fare, (the Upfare for business class, described as refundable, but many of them carry a change fee.)

The above information given, is based on own experiences that I fortunately or unfortunately, have a combined value of close to $10K of UA and AA transportation vouchers from prior canceled tickets value to "roll over" each year, since a few years ago. Since I need to preserve the value of such, the "place holder" tickets I buy MUST BE 100% refundable, I check the Fare Rules Very Carefully to make sure - that is when I have discovered the description of "refundable" by the airlines, is extremely deceiving - to most laymen, and even person like you who seemingly would have known.

As an example, many AA business Upfares show as Refundable on their site at purchase, but lots of them carrying $200 and up change fee. There are discussions in AA forum every now and then ever since this type of fares were introduced well over 5 years ago. People were caught off guard precisely because they made the assumption you said here. You can do a search in AA forum about why and when a refundable ticket is not fully refundable and read the DPs yourself.

The latest 100% refundable ticket I used to roll over the remaining $2K value from AA, was done last year - that fare has had a ton of restriction on WHEN the ticket is cancelled / changed, to determine whether there is a fee or not. When I do the roll over of AA I always head to the AA ticketing office in our town to have the agent double-checked. She agreed with me, that this fare is NOT always 100% refundable, or free change - depends on when you perform that action. Since I know about the restrictions therefore would avoid the restrictive periods, we used that fare to get a place holder ticket of just over $1K, therefore would use both transportation voucher, got back the bal of the 2nd voucher in the form of a new voucher that has another 12 months' life.

With UA, (since the CO days), it is eCert that cannot be easily rolled due to the residual balance will still be on the same eCert. Also at cancelling the place holder ticket, there could be times NO amount was returned to a new eCert and only the portion paid with CC got refunded - so I had to call to get this straightened. There was also times the less knowledgeable front line Indian reps denied the refund due to payment with eCert but escalation to supervisors usually resolved that. Another time the Indian center insisted to refund ALL amount to the credit card. Sure, I would take that!

The gist is, if one decides to try the Refundable Tickets route, their better bet is to go with WN or AS, whose rules seem to be far easier to deal with. But people still need to read the Fare Rules, and DONT assume the general meaning of Refundable that what you think is the same as what the Airlines Fare Rules say.
I think we largely agree. I said that FULL fares are generally refundable without fees.

My main point was that nonrefundable on USA carriers usually means that a change fee applies and a credit/voucher will be given rather than a refund. Few "nonrefundable" fares lose all value when one tries to make changes.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:56 am

The consensus is, the amount should be $200 or below in order for the system to "consider" it as eligible expenses, such as check bag fees...
If after another few weeks it remains not being reimbursed, we probably can safely assume that this gig needs to be under $200 in order for it to work.
Perhaps a little more than $200? My timeline...

7/19: Made a split tender booking of $292.30 total. $50 GC and $242 balance on an Amex Biz Platinum
7/22: Transaction posted on Amex as document type "additional collection" and with a ticket number associated.
7/23: $200 credit posted this morning.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:01 pm

7/20: Two split tender bookings of $209 with $100 GC and $109 balance on each (Amex Biz Platinum)
7/21: Two $109 charges posted as additional collection.
7/23: Remaining balance dropped from $200 to $0.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:26 pm

What is tender booking?
And where to check “additional collection” transaction on Amex?
My gift card when it was working the transaction shows like this

Passenger Name: PASSENGER/DELTA
Ticket Number:
passenger ticket
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flybie
What is tender booking?
And where to check “additional collection” transaction on Amex?
My gift card when it was working the transaction shows like this

Passenger Name: PASSENGER/DELTA
Ticket Number:
passenger ticket
“Split tender booking” — when the booking is paid for partially with cash/credit card and partially with one or more other forms of payment, such as a gift card/travel voucher.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:59 pm

does Amex claw back credit once you cancel the refundable ticket?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.