Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaxVO
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Stopped working, by most estimates, on or about 22 June 2019.
I'll add this part to the Wiki to prevent needless disappointment. When we have sufficient confidence that the split payment option is not a transient phenomenon, that can be added to the Wiki as well.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
I just got the AMEX business platinum.

What's the latest consensus here for the airline credit? You need to buy a partial gift card that makes the remainder of the flight ticket cost (which will be charged to the card) be less than $100? And it will trigger the flight credit? Is that for only Delta or both Delta & Southwest? I'm assuming nothing works for AA.
don't think a split pymt with GC is needed
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by jlagoon
Would you let us know, if you got a credit for it, please?
Sure thing. will keep you posted.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by aasaeedi
Oh, that's a bummer I am new to the Platinum card, and this forum. The pinned post still says that the eGifts are credited if purchased through the desktop site. So I went ahead and bought one today

So what are the current options to use the Airline credit towards tickets?
GC is likely dead for good
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
GC is likely dead for good
Can someone share if there are other ways to get any credits back for ticket purchases? I have seen some references here in the past, but it is not clear how that was achieved or if it still works.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:58 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by aasaeedi
Can someone share if there are other ways to get any credits back for ticket purchases? ....
This is the primary topic of discussion since late June. If you scroll back a few weeks and read forward you will know what we know -and- what is still uncertain.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by mia
This is the primary topic of discussion since late June. If you scroll back a few weeks and read forward you will know what we know -and- what is still uncertain.
Well that's not true. This would only work when people provide updates of their experiences regularly. If you just scroll, you would see numerous occasions of people reporting positive reports on GCs. Take my case for example: I did find this page a while ago and based on that went ahead and bought an eGift. But I will not get it back. Folks were kind enough to take my feedback and update the pinned wiki so that no one else makes the same mistake. So I think it matters that people update their experiences regularly.

Thanks,
notquiteaff and 808traveler like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:20 am
mia
Original Poster

If you read posts from July 2019 you will find exactly what you asked about. For example, you might start HERE and read every post there after.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by mia
If you read posts from July 2019 you will find exactly what you asked about. For example, you might start HERE and read every post there after.
Thanks. This looks promising. Hope they don't block it.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Your link does not work.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
Your link does not work.
The link sends you to post 1650, i.e. mia suggests that you read the last 100 posts.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:21 pm
mia
Original Poster

I have tested the link using a different computer than the one on which I created it, and it works correctly. In any event MaxVO is correct, post 1650 includes an early July report of successful reimbursement of a split tender transaction. Subsequent discussion has explored variants.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by fobster
Long time lurker here. Recently switched to DL. Switched my Plat to DL from AA in June on top of Hilton Aspire just in time for them to stop GC reimbursement. Below are my experience.
... removed ....
Did you do the final step of this refundable thing, and did that result in any adverse action e.g. clawbacks?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:46 pm

Has anyone tried purchasing a DL gift card from a DL lounge? Wondering if that would qualify for the GC reimbursement
MaxVO and bizum like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:26 pm

Award tickets fees are still reimbursed. Used points for two award flights and the award fees for both tickets were $59.05. Both charges reimbursed by Amex two days after the purchase.
bizum and IDM79 like this.

Last edited by Statman; Jul 22, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.