Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 20, 12:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MaxVO
Wiki Link
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 15, 19, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AC 50K, Hyatt Ist-iest, Starriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Obviously I already used up the my annual credit, but if this triggers the credit on DL in future years, the loophole isn't too huge of an additional hassle.
Alright, so now that we know what works, can everybody please delete their comments so we can hide it from the Amex team!
gengar, lax01, ukinny2000 and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 19, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
Alright, so now that we know what works, can everybody please delete their comments so we can hide it from the Amex team!
You know how some fools are, they shout I am a thief in the streets and expect no one to notice. Not that this statement completely applies here, YMMV
Old Jul 15, 19, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
Considering how much trouble AMEX seems to have just identifying MCCs (esp. restaurants) on the PRG, I'm not worried. They're obviously well aware of the loopholes whether we post about them or not - now, whether they care enough / are competent to close the loopholes is a different question.
GTITAN, bizum, IndyHoosier and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 19, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AMEX Pl, Hil Diam, Bon Plat
Long time lurker here. Recently switched to DL. Switched my Plat to DL from AA in June on top of Hilton Aspire just in time for them to stop GC reimbursement. Below are my experience.

JUN17 $50 GC
JUN18 $50 Reimbursed
JUN21 $50 *2 GC. Still not reimbursed. (exact same coding as 17th GC)

JUL11 Purchased $351 ticket - $100 (GC) = $251.
JUL13 $200 Reimbursed.

I haven't cancelled my refundable ticket yet. I guess final step left. Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 19, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by fobster View Post
Long time lurker here. Recently switched to DL. Switched my Plat to DL from AA in June on top of Hilton Aspire just in time for them to stop GC reimbursement. Below are my experience.

JUN17 $50 GC
JUN18 $50 Reimbursed
JUN21 $50 *2 GC. Still not reimbursed. (exact same coding as 17th GC)

JUL11 Purchased $351 ticket - $100 (GC) = $251.
JUL13 $200 Reimbursed.

I haven't cancelled my refundable ticket yet. I guess final step left. Thanks.
so, $351 fare is refundable? as I'm not familiar with DL, will the $100 gc be returned as gc or voucher?
Old Jul 16, 19, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by danhouston View Post
$351fare is refundable? as not familiar with DL, will the $100 gc be returned as gc or voucher?
​​​​​​I've done 24-hour risk free cancellation of tickets bought with mixed form of payment and everything was credited back where it came from, i.e. CC funds went back to the CC, gift card back to gift card. I would expect cancelling a refundable ticket to be the same.

Although I would also suggest if possible applying the ticket to a new itinerary (any excess fare difference will be refunded, though in that case I don't know to which FOP) instead of cancelling outright, as being more under the radar.
Old Jul 16, 19, 6:36 am

so, $351 fare is refundable? as I'm not familiar with DL, will the $100 gc be returned as gc or voucher?
yeah how does this work? So buy refundable fare, get DL Amex credits after using partial GC and partial CC, and then just cancel post credit posting and Amex won't claw back credits? Or can we request the refund in a different manner?
Old Jul 16, 19, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Jan 1: "Welcome to American Express Platinum. We offer you deals on premium travel, like IAP and FHR"
Dec 31: "Thank you for using our premium travel services which do not require paying for bags or buy-on-board food/bev. Your $200 has expired."

I know it was a loophole but it's still irritating, and at a time where they're also cutting PP restaurants while Chase is not, and Citi is cutting travel insurance while Chase is not, it's almost like the executives are conspiring to put a CSR in more wallets. I'd have one if I didn't distrust Chase so much, but Amex isn't helping these days.
/Rant
Old Jul 16, 19, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel View Post
With united it covered the change fee for regular tickets but not awards
I would expect the opposite to be true for DL in that when you cancel a nonaward ticket with DL, you get a credit/voucher for the fare minus the change fee, while UA requires that the change fee be paid with "new money."
Happy likes this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AMEX Pl, Hil Diam, Bon Plat
I purchased a refundable ticket for a September flight. I was going to wait few weeks before I cancel. I figured they will credit my CC and give me the rest in some kind of credit either a voucher or GC. This is my first time, so we shall see.
Old Jul 17, 19, 6:39 am

7/13: Paid ticket ($195) with $50 GC and remainder on platinum.
7/15: Transaction Posted as additional collection.
7/17: $145 Credited
wed100105 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 19, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, SPG
Additional data points:

My card-
5/10/2019: Purchased 5x$50 GC on Aspire card
5/11/2019: Transactions posted as document type "passenger ticket"
5/14/2019: 5x$50 Credits post on Aspire card

Wife's card-
6/28/2019: Purchased 5x$50 GC on Aspire card
6/29/2019: Transactions posted as document type "passenger ticket"
No credits posted so far

Seems to me that the way the gift cards code on AMEX has not changed.
Successful Credit No Credit

Last edited by CamaroZ28; Jul 17, 19 at 1:24 pm Reason: Tried to post screen shots
Old Jul 17, 19, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by CamaroZ28 View Post
Your screen shots are in "jpg" format, not "png" (for the purpose of including the links).
Old Jul 17, 19, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
Your screen shots are in "jpg" format, not "png" (for the purpose of including the links).
I'm not sure I understand your comment, I tried updating the links so they load properly when followed. Tested incognito on my machine.
Old Jul 18, 19, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by fobster View Post
I purchased a refundable ticket for a September flight. I was going to wait few weeks before I cancel. I figured they will credit my CC and give me the rest in some kind of credit either a voucher or GC. This is my first time, so we shall see.
From my experience, although you have purchased a refundable ticket, they will still charge you around 200$ cancelation fee. Correct me if I am wrong, looking forward to you DP! Thanks.

Search this Thread