FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

Zorak Jul 11, 19 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 31294493)
Correct, that was the implicit point. Some comments seem to go in the direction that we should desperately try to find a useless expense just to trigger a credit. For many including myself, it would actually be most cost effective to cancel the high-AF cards at renewal time.

Ah, gotcha -- I misread which direction you were going with that :o :)

viincent Jul 12, 19 7:10 am

Originally Posted by chrisfwm (Post 31293326)
when was the transaction posted?

and btw, personally, i would do this with partial fare ranging from 50 to 100. Over 200 seems a bit risky.

Originally Posted by brushrop03 (Post 31293394)
It's interesting that it posted as an Airline - Ticket for you and as "additional collections" for others.

Hey sorry guys,

It turned out to work false alarm. Its because i checked on the mobile app before and it said Airline - Travel but on the desktop website it did indeed say Additional Collection

howtofreetravel Jul 12, 19 7:47 pm

Anyone know if award cancel fee would be covered?

Zorak Jul 12, 19 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel (Post 31298082)

That seems like the sort of thing the benefit is specifically intended to cover, so I'd be pretty optimistic.

Mr. Magic Jul 12, 19 11:01 pm

Do you think you can buy Delta miles with the travel credit? I know it isn't a great value but if there is any award money left over at the end of the year you could get miles and Amex points that way if they let you.

howtofreetravel Jul 13, 19 7:03 am

With united it covered the change fee for regular tickets but not awards

uppereastsider Jul 13, 19 8:03 am

I did a FCM upgrade for under 100 early July. Credit hasn't posted.

When I go to details, under document it says "upgrade charge" (which is against the T&Cs)

On my last FCM on in June, it didn't mention document or upgrade charge... and that credit posted within 2 days.

Feels like a software upgrade just happened

thebat Jul 13, 19 8:55 am

award cancel

It absolutely is. I have used it for that a few times.

thebat Jul 13, 19 8:58 am

Miles purchase

Originally Posted by Mr. Magic (Post 31298434)
Do you think you can buy Delta miles with the travel credit? I know it isn't a great value but if there is any award money left over at the end of the year you could get miles and Amex points that way if they let you.

No, it has been established you will not get the reimbursement for miles purchase.

Up and Down Jul 14, 19 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Up and Down (Post 31246025)
Card: Personal Platinum
DL Selected
Purchased 4 x $50 e-giftcards via desktop
Posted 6/22
Shows as passenger ticket
No reimbursement as of this time

P2's Gold airline credit worked like a charm last month. I've compared the two charges on each of our accounts and it looks like they coded identically so I'm still hopeful. I also haven't been credited for my Saks online purchase that posted on 6/24...maybe they will all just post at the same time..

Purchased 2 one way tickets totaling $550. Applied 6 x $50 =$300 in gift cards over the phone. Charged remaining $250 to Amex platinum.

Purchased 7/10
Posted 7/12
Meter moved 7/13
$200 credit hit my account 7/14

Hope this DP isn't beating a dead horse, but I had not seen a DP of a charge this high working to trigger the reimbursement.

MaxVO Jul 14, 19 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Up and Down (Post 31303065)
...Charged remaining $250 to Amex platinum.

Very useful DP, thanks! Could you please also share how this charge appeared on your AmEx account?

gengar Jul 15, 19 2:17 am

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel (Post 31299081)
With united it covered the change fee for regular tickets but not awards

re: UA - just want to note that AMEX has never automatically applied the credit for award redeposit fees on UA, but the phone agent always manually credits it when I call in.

Up and Down Jul 15, 19 10:05 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 31303241)
Very useful DP, thanks! Could you please also share how this charge appeared on your AmEx account?

Description: DELTA AIR LINES - ATLANTA

Then under the "Flight Details" section there was:
Passenger Name: (which shows as my wife, one of the recipients of the tickets)
Ticket Number:
Document Type: ADDITIONAL COLLECTION

jarza Jul 15, 19 2:24 pm

7/12 Bought Delta Flight for ~$220. Paid $100 with GC and $120 on Amex Gold
7/15 $100 Credit from Amex

gengar Jul 15, 19 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 31294252)
I did just apply existing GCs to two flight purchases that brought the leftover charge to <$200 on each, so I'll report back the classification once the charge posts.

Originally Posted by viincent (Post 31295895)
Hey sorry guys,

It turned out to work false alarm. Its because i checked on the mobile app before and it said Airline - Travel but on the desktop website it did indeed say Additional Collection

As an update, the charges were also classified as "Additional Collection".

Obviously I already used up the my annual credit, but if this triggers the credit on DL in future years, the loophole isn't too huge of an additional hassle.