FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

danhouston Jul 6, 19 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 31274853)
BREAKING NEWS - Data Point:

The above transaction I completed on July 1st, posted today (July 6), as an Airline Reimbursement for $100.52. So, partial payments work. There is hope!:o

Edit:. This was on a AMEX Platinum card

gtk, just did a similar split pay with WN; hope the outcome is the same... will update

free_whine Jul 6, 19 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 31274853)
BREAKING NEWS - Data Point:

The above transaction I completed on July 1st, posted today (July 6), as an Airline Reimbursement for $100.52. So, partial payments work. There is hope!:o

Edit:. This was on a AMEX Platinum card. The credit card transaction originally posted as Delta Airlines Atlanta "additional collection" under document type.

I had this work for me a week ago; I applied one $50 GC against a $274 airfare, leaving $224, which triggered the full $200.

I am now wondering whether it has to be around $200 left over or whether any residual balance left over will do the trick. I.e. if I buy a $400 and use $100, leaving $300, does that work? Or, should I buy a $200 GC to leave $200 behind.

Global Adventurer Jul 6, 19 10:28 am

Originally Posted by free_whine (Post 31275148)
I had this work for me a week ago; I applied one $50 GC against a $274 airfare, leaving $224, which triggered the full $200.

I am now wondering whether it has to be around $200 left over or whether any residual balance left over will do the trick. I.e. if I buy a $400 and use $100, leaving $300, does that work? Or, should I buy a $200 GC to leave $200 behind.

Interesting question. I'm sure someone will try it sooner or later, especially since so many people here purchased $50 gift cards that were not reimbursed. They will apply them to flights of all amounts. Since my total flight was only $300.42 the 100.52 was all that was left after gift cards to be reimbursed.

I have $99.48 allotment left for this year and plan to use it to purchase two (2) emergency row seats and two beers:cool: (one-way connecting flights).

Diplomatico Jul 6, 19 11:22 am

Originally Posted by free_whine (Post 31275148)

It worked for me last year when the residual value (after using GCs) was between $100-$200; it did not work for me when the residual value was between $800-$900.

mia Jul 6, 19 11:26 am

Must part of the payment be made with a gift card, or could the payment be split between two credit cards, using the American Express card second?

Happy Jul 6, 19 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 31275404)
Must part of the payment be made with a gift card, or could the payment be split between two credit cards, using the American Express card second?

IIRC upthread posts said DL billed the balance after GC using different description (or even payment code) that AMEX system recognizes it as miscellaneous expenses other than tickets. Not sure if split between CCs would generate the same description.

MaxVO Jul 6, 19 2:56 pm

Delta also has "Miles + Cash" as another option for split payments. It's usually a poor value though.

free_whine Jul 6, 19 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 31275404)

That is a very interesting question! If I hadn't already used my 2019 allotment, I would have given that a shot because I have a ticket to buy today. It isn't clear to me how it would code; perhaps putting <50% would work?

MaxVO Jul 6, 19 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by free_whine (Post 31275972)
...It isn't clear to me how it would code; perhaps putting <50% would work?

If it's convenient for you, perhaps try a very unequal split between 2 AmEx CC's, then see if the 2 charges appear differently.

lv.onlythebrave Jul 7, 19 1:01 pm

Bought two $50 GC using links mentioned in thread using AMEX GOLD on 1st Jul, the credits have not yet posted. How long does it takes usually?

Shadowfactor Jul 7, 19 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by lv.onlythebrave (Post 31278547)
Bought two $50 GC using links mentioned in thread using AMEX GOLD on 1st Jul, the credits have not yet posted. How long does it takes usually?

usually 2-3 days but it’s been slower recently.
it’s currently been dead From what I understand.
mixed reports and data points rolling in. Only time will tell if it’s dead or not.

it’s more then a coincidence IMO that all 3 GC work arounds stopped working around the same time.

synzero Jul 7, 19 3:35 pm

I noticed Delta offers you the option of buying Internet in advance when you book a ticket. I wonder if anyone has tried: booking a ticket, later logging in to purchase in-flight WiFi from Delta (rather than waiting until you’re on the flight and buying it from Gogo which we know doesn’t trigger the credit)?

Global Adventurer Jul 7, 19 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by synzero (Post 31279025)
I noticed Delta offers you the option of buying Internet in advance when you book a ticket. I wonder if anyone has tried: booking a ticket, later logging in to purchase in-flight WiFi from Delta (rather than waiting until you’re on the flight and buying it from Gogo which we know doesn’t trigger the credit)?

From their terms: ".....
  • Delta North America Day Pass purchases are processed by Gogo®, therefore Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card Members will not earn double miles from Delta for this purchase."
The day pass is the only option that indicated that the transaction would be processed by Gogo. Unfortunately, I don't have a need for the monthly or annual pass or I would test the system :(

synzero Jul 7, 19 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 31279403)
From their terms: ".....
  • Delta North America Day Pass purchases are processed by Gogo®, therefore Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card Members will not earn double miles from Delta for this purchase."
> The day pass is the only option that indicated that the transaction would be processed by Gogo. Unfortunately, I don't have a need for the monthly or annual pass or I would test the system :(

Never mind --- looking at the statement I see that even when you buy the wifi ahead of time, it comes through as a Gogo charge, so no luck.

Global Adventurer Jul 7, 19 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by synzero (Post 31279435)
Never mind --- looking at the statement I see that even when you buy the wifi ahead of time, it comes through as a Gogo charge, so no luck.

But, that statement was about the prepaid Gogo day passes. They don't mention anywhere in the terms that it applied to the monthly or annual prepaid passes. However, it's probably most likely the same, but with the monthly and annual passes you can acquire miles. We won't know unless someone tests it:)