FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

pitflyer Jul 1, 19 9:42 am

Looks like the loophole still left is if you use any GC amount (that's NOT reimbursed) then the rest of the ticket still does reimburse for now. Since the minimum for a Delta Gift Card is $50, that means you can pay $50 there, and then get $200-$250 reimbursed as part of your airline credit. Wonder if anyone can find some place that offers cheaper gift cards to 'trigger' the rest of the reimbursement.

chrisfwm Jul 1, 19 9:53 am

Originally Posted by pitflyer (Post 31258185)
Looks like the loophole still left is if you use any GC amount (that's NOT reimbursed) then the rest of the ticket still does reimburse for now. Since the minimum for a Delta Gift Card is $50, that means you can pay $50 there, and then get $200-$250 reimbursed as part of your airline credit. Wonder if anyone can find some place that offers cheaper gift cards to 'trigger' the rest of the reimbursement.

somebody should test more on these "partial ticket", in Feb, i paid my ticket with several gift cards, and remaining 80+ balance was paid with gold and that 80+ balance was reimbursed.

in the end, amex is not doing itself any favors by restricting the value of gold and plat.

jerryhze Jul 1, 19 10:13 am

My DP:
Platinum: 6/21 $50 x 4, credit posted 6/22
Aspire #1 : 6/21 $50 x 5, credit NOT posted yet
Aspire #2 : 6/21 $50 x 5, credit NOT posted yet
Purchased these within 10 minutes time frame. 3 accounts under 3 different names.

Global Adventurer Jul 1, 19 11:41 am

Originally Posted by chrisfwm (Post 31258218)
somebody should test more on these "partial ticket"......

Just booked a flight today using $200 worth of e-gift cards. Balance of $100.52 applied to amex. If I'm not reimbursed after this, I'll just upgrade my seats and order in-flight adult beverages and pretend I'm in first class:cool:

Roamingredcoat Jul 1, 19 11:51 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 31246884)
Bear in mind that June is the end of a fiscal quarter. American Express could be using the IT resources for other work, or even deferring some expenses into Q3.

They'd have to be ring-fencing it to the 'tickets' category.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f914eddb78.png
6/26 Pet transport fee was reimbursed 6/29.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...19d51a96ee.png

kswissreject Jul 2, 19 8:46 am

Does the credit work to purchase Comfort Plus seats from Main Cabin? I am aware the regulations state it's not for upgrades, officially. Not sure if that would count or not. Thanks!

dollar Jul 2, 19 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by kswissreject (Post 31261638)
Does the credit work to purchase Comfort Plus seats from Main Cabin? I am aware the regulations state it's not for upgrades, officially. Not sure if that would count or not. Thanks!

I just tried one the other day ($44 to upgrade a 2 hour flight to comfort plus), the charge posted on my Gold card on 01 July as Delta Air Lines Delta.com but still awaiting any sign of a credit. Will update if I see one.

Diplomatico Jul 2, 19 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by kswissreject (Post 31261638)

It should. "Seat selection fees" are reimbursable and that's what you're purchasing - specific seats in the same cabin class. An upgrade generally refers to movement for a lower cabin class to a higher cabin class (e.g., Y to J).

If it doesn't auto-post, you should call in and ask them to manually credit the purchase, specifically using the "seat selection fee" term.

jmatamala Jul 2, 19 1:44 pm

Amex Delta Gold

6/29/19: 50 Gift Card Purchased
7/1/19: Charge Posted
7/2/19: 50 Credit Posted

Success

MSPeconomist Jul 2, 19 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 31262543)
It should. "Seat selection fees" are reimbursable and that's what you're purchasing - specific seats in the same cabin class. An upgrade generally refers to movement for a lower cabin class to a higher cabin class (e.g., Y to J).

If it doesn't auto-post, you should call in and ask them to manually credit the purchase, specifically using the "seat selection fee" term.

However, DL has set up C+ as a different fare class/booking class. DL treats C+ as an "upgrade" even if other carriers generally don't and C+ is basically a coach seat with a bit more legroom.

edkwan88 Jul 2, 19 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by jmatamala (Post 31262848)
Amex Delta Gold

6/29/19: 50 Gift Card Purchased
7/1/19: Charge Posted
7/2/19: 50 Credit Posted

Success

Was this a new AMEX Delta Gold where you get the $50 statement credit back for your first Delta purchase?

jmatamala Jul 2, 19 2:50 pm

Yes. The statement credit excludes giftcards, yet it worked...

vbscript2 Jul 2, 19 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 31255962)
Both of my pending $100 e-gift card transactions from yesterday, posted today as Delta Airlines, Atlanta Airport, Passenger/Delta Ticket # (actual gift card number) $100. Looks like I'm not getting reimbursed :(

$100 gift cards were already not being reimbursed, so I would definitely not expect these to be reimbursed. Only $50 gift cards purchased from Delta's desktop (not mobile) website were previously being reimbursed. Also, even when this was working, it was normal for the gift cards to show up on your Amex statement as Delta Air Lines with a ticket number of the gift card number for a flight from LAX to LAX.

Edit: Sorry, nevermind, I had missed the post a few days before that one that had a DP for the $100 GC working.

mjgoldstein9 Jul 2, 19 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by jmatamala (Post 31263037)
Yes. The statement credit excludes giftcards, yet it worked...

We still need more data points. Preferably from cards that aren't new. How unlucky am I? I switched from AA to SW two weeks ago and they pull this crap! They need to make it a general credit like their competitors. AMEX actually gives a general credit to cards issued in other countries.

Diplomatico Jul 2, 19 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31262874)
However, DL has set up C+ as a different fare class/booking class. DL treats C+ as an "upgrade" even if other carriers generally don't and C+ is basically a coach seat with a bit more legroom.

For AMEX credit purposes, if the seat is in the same general fare class (i.e., economy), it's not been considered an upgrade, despite what Delta would like to use as a marketing tool.