Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaxVO
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
This is not my datapoint but rather someone’s in a FB group I belong to.

Purchased June 21st credit posted next day.

They claim it was for a giftcard, but I can’t confirm as I personally don’t know this person.

Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:39 pm

If you check the southwest thread, credits haven't been posting over there either. My Saks purchase from the 22nd hasn't been reimbursed either. Seems there is some sort of a quarterly delay going on, nothing to worry about.. Might take a few weeks but we will be reimbursed, seems like all credits are delayed ejfhr now. AMEX formally says 2-4 weeks.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:13 pm

My saks gift card purchase posted on the 24th and i was credited on the 27th.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:44 pm

Purchased gift card through link for $50 on 6/23 and no refund yet. I think this is dead.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I get the sense after my experience that they are cutting back the types of expenses that can be reimbursed.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:50 pm

I agree, Delta gift cards appear dead.

AMEX did not give me a statement credit for Delta gift cards I purchased. I purchased 2 $50 Delta gift cards from the link on 6/23. They code as Document Type: Passenger Ticket from LAX to LAX on my statement.

Posts on reddit make it look like the gift card option dried up within the last week.

Edit: I can’t link to the reddit discussion due to my post count being too low.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Both of my pending $100 e-gift card transactions from yesterday, posted today as Delta Airlines, Atlanta Airport, Passenger/Delta Ticket # (actual gift card number) $100. Looks like I'm not getting reimbursed
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
May I suggest that folks post their completed data points. I don't see much value in creating separate posts promising a DP in the future, but nothing useful at the time of posting.
thats actually impossible because last step (reimbursement) may never happen.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: Delta, Chase UR, Hyatt
Originally Posted by free_whine
Card: Amex platinum (Schwab co-brand)
Selected DL on 6/21
Posted 6/22
Purchased 1x $50 eGift using link in wiki
Posted as LAX-LAX flight
No reimbursement
Meter has not moved
Update: credit posted today (7/1). I had used the eGift to apply against a $274 ticket. Remaining $224 posted as "additional collection" and was reimbursed. Unclear whether additional collection or eGift triggered credit.

I think Q2-Q3 expenses hypothesis is correct.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by free_whine
Update: credit posted today (7/1). I had used the eGift to apply against a $274 ticket. Remaining $224 posted as "additional collection" and was reimbursed. Unclear whether additional collection or eGift triggered credit.

I think Q2-Q3 expenses hypothesis is correct.
How much did you get reimbursed. If $50, it matches the eGift amount. If $200, it means your $224 additional collection expense triggered the $200 Credit.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Delta, Chase UR, Hyatt
$200, though it doesn't say if it is $200 against the ticket balance or $50+$150.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: DL, AA, IHG, Choice Privileges, Amtrak, Hyatt
On 6/27 around 1030pm EST I booked two round trip tickets online to Philly for me and the wife for a trip coming up in October. After applying 3 gift cards, got the total down to $351.00 for the both of us.

A charge for $250.50 and $100.50 posted 6/29. On 6/30 when I logged into my Amex Platinum account, I see "AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement" for $100.50

I was not expecting my purchase of legit tickets to trigger the reimbursement. I'm not mad, just wasn't expecting it.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:10 am

I'm pretty sure the GC reimbursement is dead now. Still no credit for $50 GC purchase on 6/24, but on 6/28 used Platinum to pay for $5.60 fee associated with award ticket purchases. I received the credit for the $5.60 fee today.

The purchase details for the GC say passenger ticket, and for the $5.60 fee say additional collection.

What seems interesting is the above couple data points. It seems that if you apply some gift cards to a normal $$ purchase of tickets, then the remaining amount will code as 'additional collection' and it could trigger the credit?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:36 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bradpitch92
What seems interesting is the above couple data points. It seems that if you apply some gift cards to a normal $$ purchase of tickets, then the remaining amount will code as 'additional collection' and it could trigger the credit?
Yes. There are scattered data points going back even further in the thread, and I added a section to the wiki a couple weeks ago. There is some as-yet-unknown range on the dollar amounts and/or other random factor involved, as not all such add/collect amounts have been reimbursed.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:10 am

My understand is if $50 eGift triggered the credit. you should receive one $50 reimburse and one $150 for the your $224 additional collection expense. It looks like GC is dead

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.