FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

gooselee Jul 21, 16 11:44 am

Originally Posted by edubsmann (Post 26942161)
Is that a no?

I have no idea.

First, if you've gotten a signup bonus for a $100 statement credit after a DL purchase, note that said purchase might not actually need to be for $100. There are reports in this forum of people buying a $8 beverage on board and having that small purchase trigger the $100 credit. YMMV, of course, and this might not even be the offer you have.

Second, and more to my earlier point, if you're having trouble finding ways to make even a single purchase with Delta, that generally means you aren't flying with them at all. So what's the point of getting/paying for a CC that provides benefits for an airline that you don't ever actually use?

I get that there are lots of miles to be had in signup bonuses, but would you want those miles within a program that you actually use (and thus, I would assume, have more opportunity to accumulate more and could more conveniently redeem from)?

sjackson12 Jul 29, 16 8:25 pm

Bought 2x50 with amex gold rewards 7/22, credited 7/24

redtop43 Aug 4, 16 1:12 pm

In past years, I have used my Amex Plat to get credits as follows: Buy a ticket with Economy Comfort, cancel the ticket which generates a refund for the ticket and also economy comfort fees, but Amex refunds the EC fees separately. I did this about a year ago with my Amex Plat. By doing this I essentially got $200 cash for my airline fee credits.

I just tried to do it, having not changed my preferred airline away from DL. However, I received a single refund for the entire ticket including EC, but no separate refund for the EC fees.

Does anyone know if something has changed?

gooselee Aug 4, 16 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 27015581)
In past years, I have used my Amex Plat to get credits as follows: Buy a ticket with Economy Comfort, cancel the ticket which generates a refund for the ticket and also economy comfort fees, but Amex refunds the EC fees separately. I did this about a year ago with my Amex Plat. By doing this I essentially got $200 cash for my airline fee credits.

I just tried to do it, having not changed my preferred airline away from DL. However, I received a single refund for the entire ticket including EC, but no separate refund for the EC fees.

Does anyone know if something has changed?

Yes. DL's EC product is now sold C+, which is it's own fare class and cabin "experience. Thus, the cost of C+ is embedded in the fare/ticket price and no longer sold as an add-on fee.

You'll also notice when you purchased the ticket it all came through as a single charge - not the ticket price and then the C+ fee separately.

You will now need to find another way to abuse the fee credit benefit, and the rest of us will hope Amex doesn't use widespread abuse like this as a reason to change or eliminate the benefit altogether.

sjackson12 Aug 4, 16 6:39 pm

Yeah.... so don't do that. Just do the gift cards.

gooselee Aug 4, 16 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by sjackson12 (Post 27017165)
Yeah.... so don't do that. Just do the gift cards.

At least with the gift card route, DL and Amex still get the revenue that motivates them to provide this and other various benefits/features/whatever.

work2fly Aug 5, 16 11:02 am

I have a DL itin with 4 pax and the charge to change to Comfort + is $150 each.

Has anyone had recent experience getting reimbursed for similar charges of this magnitude?

traveler4ever Aug 13, 16 9:53 am

Last year I purchased a $200. Delta E-gift certificate using the $200. airline credit. The credit hadn't posted for the longest time so I called and they credited the $200. This year I was thinking of using the credit to upgrade an upcoming flight. I saw this on the American Express website though~

"Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the charge under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be recognized as an incidental air travel fee."

I was thinking of doing gift cards again because everyone seems to be doing it that way but the terms state they aren't included in the credit. Credits are still being given though?

mia Aug 13, 16 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by traveler4ever (Post 27058556)
Last year I purchased a $200. Delta E-gift certificate using the $200.

This is the problem. If you had purchased 4 x $50 certificates they would have been reimbursed automatically. They have always been excluded from reimbursement, but they will be covered if you follow the process explained in the Wikipost at the top of this thread.

holocker Aug 13, 16 2:27 pm

Once you have the e certs is there a way to add them to your wallet so they show up in my account?
Thanks

flybyfly7 Aug 13, 16 11:57 pm

Has anybody seen recent luck having a first class upgrade reimbursed after an original coach fare was purchased?

FireEmblemPride Aug 14, 16 6:47 am

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, but what's the best way to get more than 3 gift cards used for one ticket?

highops Aug 14, 16 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride (Post 27061934)
Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, but what's the best way to get more than 3 gift cards used for one ticket?

"A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts."
(FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards > Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only)

FireEmblemPride Aug 15, 16 1:20 am

Originally Posted by highops (Post 27064557)
"A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts."
(FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards > Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only)

I read that, but don't actually understand what that means in practice. So just book two different itineraries? It's a poor value on international flights, right? (I'm based in Tokyo)

levilevi Aug 15, 16 8:31 am

Originally Posted by holocker (Post 27059494)
Once you have the e certs is there a way to add them to your wallet so they show up in my account?
Thanks

I haven't found a way - I keep them in my inbox until used.