Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaxVO
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:41 pm

If I want to use more than 3 gift card certificates, will delta agent be able to use 8 over the phone?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
Booked two DL award seats, credit covered upgrades to Delta Comfort and a portion of the taxes.
If you want to "upgrade" from award economy fare to comfort +, you would just pay the difference of cash fare difference with gift card certificate, right? I thought delta stop allowing us to pay up from economy to comfort plus after they made comfort plus a separate fare class.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:43 pm

I just did a change from Alaska to Delta. This is now reflected in the Benefits section for my platinum.

Is it OK to make the purchase now (the day of the change), or should I wait a few days?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:45 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Read the Wikipost at the top of the thread first, then make the purchase. What works is slightly different for each airline.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
If you want to "upgrade" from award economy fare to comfort +, you would just pay the difference of cash fare difference with gift card certificate, right? I thought delta stop allowing us to pay up from economy to comfort plus after they made comfort plus a separate fare class.
Not in all regions - TATL and I believe Australia are still under the old model. I upgraded our TATL flight CDG - RDU from saver Y award to C+ for 91euro/person (it fluctuates up and down to be at ~$100 USD with the FX rate).

Credit did in fact post on AMEX a few days later (upthread I expressed concern but it did come through).
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: skymiles, onepass
$100 airline fee credit

The year is coming to a close, and I don't see myself using this credit. I've been fortunate to fly business on all my flights throughout the year, and, as a result, had ample suitcases allowance, lounge access, and food and drinks on the plane.

I have one more flight planned this year, again in business. The above still applies.

Any suggestion on how to use this benefit wisely? Any way to purchase items on the flight (cologne, or whatever) and for them to code as food/drink? Airline chosen: Delta.

I'd hate to leave those $100 on the table....

Many thanks in advance,
SecretJudge
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:40 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Originally Posted by secretjudge
Any suggestion on how to use this benefit wisely?
Read the Wikipost at the top of this thread for step-by-step instructions.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gooselee
Yes. DL's EC product is now sold C+, which is it's own fare class and cabin "experience. Thus, the cost of C+ is embedded in the fare/ticket price and no longer sold as an add-on fee.

You'll also notice when you purchased the ticket it all came through as a single charge - not the ticket price and then the C+ fee separately.
Based on the above comment, does purchasing FC into J upgrade separately that Delta offers on my most flights (after buying the base fare into Y) qualify as an add-on, thus eligible for the $200 reimbursement? I don't see this in the Wiki
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:28 pm

Just got the Amex Gold have the $100 I won't use the the rest of the year. This might be a stupid question but does the eGift still work? I have picked my airline as Delta.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:26 pm
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ktminn2
... does the eGift still work? I have picked my airline as Delta.
Welcome to Flyertalk. Please read the step-by-step instructions in the Wikipost at the top of this thread. You will need to make two $50 transactions, not a single $100 purchase.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:37 pm

$200 airline credit

I just got the Amex platinum Mercedes-benz. I selected delta as my airline. I want to do the $50x4 but I'm not sure if this still works? Also, when people say "please read the wikipost" with a corresponding hyperlink, the link doesn't work. Where can I find the wiki post that explains this process?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:56 pm
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mdog35
...when people say "please read the wikipost" with a corresponding hyperlink, the link doesn't work.
Wikiposts are not visible when using Flyertalk's "mobile" view. You must use a PC -or- scroll to the bottom of the display on your mobile device and choose View Full Site.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:33 pm

$200 airline credit

Applied for the platinum mercadez-benze on 11/27, purchased 4x$50 e-certificates on the same day, my purchases posted on 11/29 and they were credited today (11/30). While I'm happy that I got credited, this airline credit thing was a pain in the .... I think Amex needs to get it together and liberally apply travel credits like chase sapphire reserve and citi prestige. It's apparent to me that Amex makes you jump through a bunch of hoops to get this $200 airline credit designating an airline, claiming its an incidental under $50). It seems like they want to charge their high annual fee and make it hard to recoup any of that fee.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:23 am

i bought 4x$50 e-gift cards too on 12/1, posted on 12/3 and received my credits on 12/4.

Last edited by ruxpin810; Dec 5, 2016 at 3:25 pm
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by ruxpin810
i bought 4x$50 e-gift cards too on 12/1, posted on 12/3 and received my credits on 12/4.
Was this all in the same purchase through the wiki link? Just got my platinum card

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.