Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaxVO
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
With the assumption that the Ameriprise is a typo, this is indeed very interesting. So, $200 of your $500 ticket price was deducted from your Amex Plat airline credit? That is a game changer.

Would you please post if that is ever rectified.

Question for the wider forum:
Has the airline credit worked when paying fees associated with award redemption?
I've been credited for award taxes, IIRC. The words "additional collection" are what you are looking for with this. Don't buy upgrades online unless you want to argue with Amex, as they get coded as an upgrade.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:53 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
With the assumption that the Ameriprise is a typo, ....?
Why would it be a typo? The Ameriprise version of the Platinum Card includes the Airline Fee reimbursement benefit, same as other versions.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by hi55us
Now this is an odd one -- bought 2 tickets for TPA-BOS, non-stop, for 2 passengers on the Ameriprise Platinum. Should have come to ~$500 total.

Oddly, Delta sent it to Amex in 2 transactions. One for ~$300 and one for $205. The $300 showed the ticket as I would expect with the two cities clearly visible on the amex website, but the $205 registered as an "Additional collection" and triggered my $200 credit for 2018. This was a plain vanilla economy ticket.
Did you use $300 in Delta gift cards/e-certs for the tickets and pay the remaining $205 with your Platinum card, by chance?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by mia
Why would it be a typo? The Ameriprise version of the Platinum Card includes the Airline Fee reimbursement benefit, same as other versions.
It wouldn't. And neither would I have assumed a typo, if I knew such a product existed. My fault. Apologies.

That being said, since the reimbursement benefit is the same as other versions, if the member that I quoted received part of the fare paid as reimbursement, then that is certainly something to be tracked, and as such if other members have received the benefit as discount on fare paid, then it would be great if they documented it. That kind of reimbursement would bring this Amex benefit more in line with the Chase Sapphire Reserve's $300 travel benefit.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by JW6130
I've been credited for award taxes, IIRC. The words "additional collection" are what you are looking for with this. Don't buy upgrades online unless you want to argue with Amex, as they get coded as an upgrade.
My taxes and fees for a SYD-JFK Y award ticket is $119. I'm wondering if its better to buy some eCerts to pay that, rather than expect the reimbursement benefit to take care of it, particularly since the amount is in excess of $100.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My taxes and fees for a SYD-JFK Y award ticket is $119. I'm wondering if its better to buy some eCerts to pay that, rather than expect the reimbursement benefit to take care of it, particularly since the amount is in excess of $100.
You can NOT pay the taxes with e-Certs whether online or by the phone. So you would be stuck with those $50 e-Certs and still have to pay the taxes on your award ticket.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Happy
You can NOT pay the taxes with e-Certs whether online or by the phone. So you would be stuck with those $50 e-Certs and still have to pay the taxes on your award ticket.
Ah.. good to know. Thanks.

Edited to Add:
Looking at the T&C, I can't seem to find definitive language on that though. While the relevant portion says the certificate may not be used of Additional Fees, it does say the eCerts may be used towards "total purchase price of air transportation including taxes, fees and surcharges".

Any anecdotal evidence for confirmation either way?

Other Terms and Conditions:
  • eGifts and Cards may only be used for the total purchase price of air transportation, including taxes, fees, and surcharges imposed on the air transportation. They may not be used for any additional fees (including baggage fees) or for any other products or services (including class upgrades, in-flight purchases, premium seating, mileage booster, SkyMiles Cruises, cargo, hotel stays, or car rentals).
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/planning-a-trip/booking-information/online-booking/etickets-certificates-ecredits/gift-cards-term-conditions.html

Last edited by knit-in; Jan 15, 2018 at 11:37 am
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:46 am

Key phrase is "total purchase price."

Looking at the T&C, I can't seem to find definitive language on that though.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by applesauce
Key phrase is "total purchase price."
Fair enough. ^
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:14 pm

I didn't get much of an answer on the CLEAR information thread so will ask here too as Delta has partnered with CLEAR for discounted memberships.

Has anyone tried using the 100$ Amex travel credit for a 99$ (or 79$) CLEAR membership via your SkyMiles number? If yes, then did it get reimbursed as an incidental air travel purchase?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:42 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I got both my PRG and Plat credits reimbursed as GCs within the last week by purchasing through the desktop site.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:36 am

Using a mobile device but I hit the request desktop version when I got GCs with plat and Prg. Credits received 3 days later.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Happy

I have been able to do this once when calling (last summer); the CSR had to contact another desk, but was able to charge $78.64x2 for award taxes using 3 $50 e-certs and a CC. Two other times I have been shot down.

ETA: This is what payment method said:
METHOD OF PAYMENT
EVEN EXCHANGE

And the leftover balance on the second e-cert was listed also:
Delta Travel Voucher Passenger: bloc0102
Delta Voucher #: 0060544xxxxx
Document Expiration: 03JUL18
Original Ticket#: 0060878xxxxxx
Redemption Code: 0062183xxxxxx
Retain from Original Certificate
Fare 21.36USD
TOTAL 21.36 USD
Refer to Delta Travel Voucher number for future travel. Non refundable/ Non Endorsable/ Valid on Delta only. To redeem this voucher for future travel please visit delta.com/redeem.

Last edited by bloc0102; Jan 19, 2018 at 7:42 am
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by oakland
I didn't get much of an answer on the CLEAR information thread so will ask here too as Delta has partnered with CLEAR for discounted memberships.

Has anyone tried using the 100$ Amex travel credit for a 99$ (or 79$) CLEAR membership via your SkyMiles number? If yes, then did it get reimbursed as an incidental air travel purchase?
Since you'd be paying CLEAR directly, I don't see how that would translate to an airline incidental credit. Yes, you get a discounted membership but it isn't Delta that's selling it to you - it's another company.
oakland likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:24 pm
np

Strategy around 3 GC per flight?

Question for you all:

The problem with DL is they limit you to 3 GCs per flight transaction. How about doing the following you have say 8 or more $50 certs?

1) Buy a flight for around $150-$160 and use 3 $50 GC to make the purchase and the residual with a credit card.
2) Within 24 hours refund the ticket as they are refundable within 24 hours without a fee.

Does the refund come back as 1 $150 GC or a ticket credit to be used later? Do this a few times to consolidate your credits into one? Has anyone tried this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.