Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaxVO
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I just noticed the little widget on the web page showing how much reimbursement "credit" I have left. The number was way off compared to what I thought I had.

After some research -- it looks like the Gift Cards I bought in December didn't actually post until after Jan 1 so they went into this year rather than last.

Anybody in a similar situation had any luck it getting the charges re classified? I am a little hesitant to call since Gift Cards are not technically covered. I also don't want to be the person who brings this to Amex's attention and ruins it for everybody -- like the guy who calls in on a mistake fare. Not that the probably don't know anywhere.

So a word to the wise, don't wait until the last minute...
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I just noticed the little widget on the web page showing how much reimbursement "credit" I have left. The number was way off compared to what I thought I had.

After some research -- it looks like the Gift Cards I bought in December didn't actually post until after Jan 1 so they went into this year rather than last.

Anybody in a similar situation had any luck it getting the charges re classified? I am a little hesitant to call since Gift Cards are not technically covered. I also don't want to be the person who brings this to Amex's attention and ruins it for everybody -- like the guy who calls in on a mistake fare. Not that the probably don't know anywhere.

So a word to the wise, don't wait until the last minute...
hey sorry to hear about that. i think its best if you let a mod know so they can edit the information in the wiki section. im not in that situation.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:40 pm

hey everyone, reporting on my airline credit. i bought a $50 gift card on thursday april 6, transaction went from pending to processed on friday april 7, looked at my benefits yesterday (saturday here) and saw the amount go to $150 and got credited back today on my credit card statement (sunday here). total of 3 days.

also i have a question: is there a way to add the egift card to my account now and use it in the future or can i only add an egift card at the time im paying for the ticket?

Last edited by ks123; Apr 9, 2017 at 2:53 am
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Bobberjet
If you do end up paying up, let me know how it goes!
@Bobberjet - we pulled the trigger and I received the credit two days after it cleared.

So, paying for C+ seat assignment separate to the original booking is indeed still being reimbursed.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Originally Posted by ks123
also i have a question: is there a way to add the egift card to my account now and use it in the future or can i only add an egift card at the time im paying for the ticket?
You can buy egift cards at any time. There are step-by-step instructions in the wiki of this thread.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by ks123
You can't add the gift card to your Delta wallet and have it use it automatically on your next purchase; you can only redeem it when you're ready to use it. I'm guessing they're banking on gift cards getting forgotten...
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Ah, I misunderstood your question. Yes, as strickerj said, it's up to you to keep track of your egift card codes and use them as you make purchases.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj
You can't add the gift card to your Delta wallet and have it use it automatically on your next purchase; you can only redeem it when you're ready to use it. I'm guessing they're banking on gift cards getting forgotten...
Originally Posted by LizGross144
Ah, I misunderstood your question. Yes, as strickerj said, it's up to you to keep track of your egift card codes and use them as you make purchases.
hello and thanks for the replies. yes this was the answer i was looking for. okay gotta keep track of everything then!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:28 am

hey everyone just a heads up, bought the remaining egift cards as 1x$50 and 2x$50 payments, everything was credited to my account today as $50 $50 $50.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: Amex
Guys,

I just upgraded to the platinum card from the PRG and I am worried I won't be credited back the $200 for 4x $50 egift certs.

The "Flight Details" sections particularly concerns me. Any thoughts? Will this be categorized as a ticket or does this look normal?

See attached.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images   
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by BS_INNYC
Guys,

I just upgraded to the platinum card from the PRG and I am worried I won't be credited back the $200 for 4x $50 egift certs.

The "Flight Details" sections particularly concerns me. Any thoughts? Will this be categorized as a ticket or does this look normal?

See attached.

Any thoughts?
hey there. first off, congratulations on getting the platinum card from amex. looking at your picture and comparing my info, everything other than the dates are the same but just to confirm, did you choose delta airlines as the airline partner before buying the egift cards? if you made sure to do that step first before buying the egift cards then youll be fine. in total it took me 3 days from buying the egift card to getting credited on my account. looking at the date you bought the egift cards youre still early so it should be the same time frame for you to also get credited back.

while you wait for the credit back to your account, check the benefits section of american express to see if there are any changes there. that area had changes when i checked it before i got credited back, so if you see any changes now then thats good.

Last edited by ks123; Apr 12, 2017 at 12:44 am
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Can Delta GC's be used only on delta.com or when buying DL tix through Amextravel as well?

You can use Delta gift cards with Delta.
You can use Amex gift cards with Amex
You can use Walmart gift cards at Walmart and Sammys
etc

Or said another way - those are Delta Dollars only good with Delta. And only Delta knows if they are valid.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by BS_INNYC
Guys,

The "Flight Details" sections particularly concerns me. ....
Check your account and see what they did. Usually happens pretty quick.

Let folks here know what you find.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Hoping to just get the eCerts. Status gets me upgrade to C+ instantly at booking(99.9% of the time as well as INTL). I get up to 3 checked bags, including extra weight. And have SkyClub access. SDC is free. Can't figure out when I'd use it otherwise.

Hoping to find confirmation as have seen in this thread.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Forgive me if this is already addressed...search is being a PITA on my phone.

Do premium drink purchases at the SkyClub bar get charged by DL or a 3rd party? And if charged by DL, any experiences with those being reimbursed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.