Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaxVO
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by superpanjy
any policy change for 2017?
With regards to what, specifically?

If you're asking about using the Amex fee credit to cover the purchase of gift cards, this has actually always been explicitly excluded from the list of covered charges. Amex has just not been troubled enough to actually enforce the restriction. If they started, it would not be a change in policy, just an enforcement of the already existing one.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Does buying a refundable tickets $200+, then cancelling a month later also see the credit stick?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:58 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Does buying a refundable tickets $200+, then cancelling a month later also see the credit stick?
Ticket purchases do not reliably trigger reimbursement on Platinum or Premier Rewards Gold.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:15 pm

DL 4*$50 reimbursed

Purchased on Dec 12, posted on Dec 14, reimbursed on Dec 15
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:52 pm

I have yet to reimburse PRG airline fee reimbursement with Delta. So to confirm, I can just egift cards 50x2 and it should work, right?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by troyhouse
I have yet to reimburse PRG airline fee reimbursement with Delta. So to confirm, I can just egift cards 50x2 and it should work, right?
Yes. I usually do that each year for my Plat card. As long as the gift cards are 50 or under, it triggers the refund
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I had about $171 left in my DL airline fee reimbursement, and bought 3 Delta $50 eGift cards to use up $150. If I buy a fourth, will the remaining partial credit be used?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by tarheeljd
So, I may have screwed up today. I had the box checked for four, $50 physical gift cards instead of ecerts. Does anyone know if it makes a difference in the AMEX reimbursement if you get physical cards instead of ecerts? I suppose I will find out on my AMEX Platinum statement in a few days, but it is driving me crazy! Thanks!
Yeah, I'm in somewhat the same boat. Purchased two $50 physical gift cards (before I found the wiki) and haven't seen a reimbursement yet. Any luck?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Has anyone gotten credit fro the $150 change fee on an award ticket?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Technobie
Yeah, I'm in somewhat the same boat. Purchased two $50 physical gift cards (before I found the wiki) and haven't seen a reimbursement yet. Any luck?
Ok, update here. AMEX *does* in fact reimburse for physical gift cards purchased, as well as eCards. I purchased 2 $50 cards and the reimbursement showed up today. Might want to update the wiki.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
I still don't understand these types of questions.

I get that you're trying to convert the Airline Fee Credit into, essentially, cash. But why go through all that trouble and potentially risk having it clawed back?

Why not, say, use the credit to actually cover incidental airline fees? Or if you never incur such fees, pick a different CC that covers any travel expenses? Or pay those fees for a family member?

And if you really want to effectively convert the credit into cash, just go the eGC route. You're basically getting $200 toward DL airfare that we assume you'd already be spending over the course of the year (based on the fact that you've selected DL as your airline for the credit, and that you're paying $450/yr for a travel rewards-oriented charge card).
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:04 pm

i understand only 3 payment methods (credit or gift cards) can be used online for single booking, but can you use more than 3 gift cards if booked over the phone?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:21 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
...can you use more than 3 gift cards if booked over the phone?
If redeemed at www.delta.com, a maximum of three forms of payment (including eGifts or Cards) can be applied towards a single transaction, regardless of the number of tickets purchased as part of that transaction; if redeemed through any other method, a maximum of three forms of payment (including eGifts or Cards) can be applied toward a single ticket. eGifts and Cards can be used with other eGifts and/or Cards, but cannot be used in conjunction with any other certificate, voucher or credit towards a single ticket.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...onditions.html
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:23 pm

so making a booking for two people over the phone is no different than making two bookings on the internet... ?

and if total amount is greater than total gift card amount, only two gift cards can be used...?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
i understand only 3 payment methods (credit or gift cards) can be used online for single booking, but can you use more than 3 gift cards if booked over the phone?
as confirmed by Delta TW. You can use up to 6 by phone on a round trip (two tickets, one reservation)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.