Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the advantages of PRG over Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If you shop at the grocery store at all the PRG beats the Plat with the 2x grocery store spend.

Was the primary reason I got the PRG in the first place
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:47 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Budoka
My take on the Platinum card vs the PRG is not the same as the conventional line of thought.

I find the PRG gives more bang for the buck than the Platinum and I travel extensively. I'm on the road 9 months of the year but internationally.

On the surface given the amount I travel one would think the Platinum Card would be ideal. But for me personally there is no value add to switching from PRG to Platinum. I use to think of the AMEX charge cards as travel cards, and I haven't any qualm about paying the 450 AF, but what they really have become is a "domestic" travel card when considering the following:

--Only 1 MR point on all Intl purchases. This is true of the PRG as well given the bonus on supermarkets and restaurants only apply to domestic transactions but at least I have the potential to earn the bonus domestically unlike the Platinum. (I found this out after I received the card much to my chagrin.) And, I earn 3MR's/$1 when booking airfares on my PRG

As pointed out earlier lounge usage impacts how much value the card may or may not have. In my case it is nil.

The Priority Pass partnership is not honored by ALL airlines. For example, United and in turn ANA and JAL don't accept it and they are my primary carriers.

"UNITED CLUB
Note: Members holding a Priority Pass Select membership card and Priority Pass cardholders in the U.S. that receive their membership through a U.S. financial institution will not be allowed access to this Lounge. "

This effectively means that there is no Priority Pass lounge access available with a Platinum card for those of us that fly US to Asia routes and there aren't any Centurion Lounges at the moment. These are MAJOR routes. AMEX's reply...we are "working on expanding our Centurion Lounges."

So...

--International Lounge Access...Nope.

The 200/100 incidental credit is quite nice but my travel level allows me free checked baggage and priority boarding anyway. Also Intl flights don't really have incidental fees. All amenities on the plane are free. Once again this is for the carriers and routes I primarily fly. I generally look at this benefit as a way to offset the AF by using gift registry or MPX.

An argument can be made that the Global Entry reimbursement alone makes it worth it to get the Platinum but that is a one time deal and not enough of an incentive for me to go Platinum.

If I am targeted for a 100000MR Bonus for Platinum I will pick it up but until then...No Thanks.
Doesn't sound like either card are particularly good for your purposes… what specifically makes the PRG superior to the Plat other than the 3x MR on airfare and the lower fee?

In my opinion, based on what you said you value, you're better off picking up a Chase Sapphire Preferred card and giving up on Amex (or a Citi Prestige).
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
but what they really have become is a "domestic" travel card when considering the following:

--Only 1 MR point on all Intl purchases. This is true of the PRG as well given the bonus on supermarkets and restaura...

The Platinum only earns 1 MR per $ everywhere. International has nothing to do with it.

The Priority Pass partnership is not honored by ALL airlines. For example, United and in turn ANA and JAL don't accept it and they are my primary carriers.

It never has been universal across airlines, only ones that agree to participate. The flip side is you can access all of them, regardless of travel class, status, or airline flying that day. IMO that's more flexible than having to seek a *A or OW lounge.

--International Lounge Access...Nope.

This is just incorrect
My thoughts in the bolded. Also how do you get to Asia? From North American gateways, there are 4 Priority Pass lounges at LAX (+ a future Amex lounge), 1 PP + 1 Amex at SFO, 4 PP + 1 Amex at SEA.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by mia
United Airlines no longer accepts Priority Pass of any sort, but this has nothing to do with other carriers' participation.

This is factually inaccurate. The access may not be to the lounges that you know, but there are many Priority Pass lounges across Asia. For example, there are five at NRT, seven at ICN, and eight at PEK.

Complete directory here: https://www.prioritypass.com/en
I wasn't indicating that there aren't any Priority Pass lounges in Asia particularly Narita. I was indicating that the ones that are there are increasingly not allowing access to said lounges for Priority Pass memberships issued by credit cards/banks. Have you been able to do so?

There is a long thread on the Amex forum about Priority Pass issued by Banks not being accepted. Believe me I would like it to be inaccurate.

Last edited by Budoka; Jan 4, 2016 at 3:21 pm
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
My thoughts in the bolded. Also how do you get to Asia? From North American gateways, there are 4 Priority Pass lounges at LAX (+ a future Amex lounge), 1 PP + 1 Amex at SFO, 4 PP + 1 Amex at SEA.
My primary route is NY (JFK or Newark)--Tokyo Narita. There is no Centurion Lounge at either airport and my understanding is that Priority Pass issued by a bank/credit card is not accepted. Narita is my main hub for travel within Asia and when necessary Europe.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
Doesn't sound like either card are particularly good for your purposes… what specifically makes the PRG superior to the Plat other than the 3x MR on airfare and the lower fee?

In my opinion, based on what you said you value, you're better off picking up a Chase Sapphire Preferred card and giving up on Amex (or a Citi Prestige).
Agreed. When I picked up the PRG I mistakenly thought that the bonus MR earning was for all spend but it only applies in the US.

I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to the mention other bank products in the AMEX sub-forum but my current plan is indeed to pick up a CSP so that I earn 2 points on all travel related expenses, domestic and Intl, and just use the PRG for airfare purchases and US domestic spend.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is a long thread on the Amex forum about Priority Pass issued by Banks not being accepted. Believe I would like it to be inaccurate.
Priority Pass Select is the sub-brand that Collinson devised to distinguish between paid and bank-subsidized memberships. To my knowledge only two lounge operators (United Airlines, Copa) excluded Priority Pass Select cards. This distinction has become irrelevant now that United has stopped accepting all Priority Pass cards at all locations worldwide. This was announced here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rity-pass.html

Can you find any lounge in the current Priority Pass directory which excludes Priority Pass Select or bank-sponsored memberships? To my knowledge there are none, but I learn the most when I am wrong. Show me.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

My primary route is NY (JFK or Newark)--Tokyo Narita. There is no Centurion Lounge at either airport and my understanding is that Priority Pass issued by a bank/credit card is not accepted.
For what it's worth, those are two of the worst large airports for lounge access in the US, IMO. There are virtually no lounges at EWR that aren't United Clubs - but the El Al lounge at EWR does accept Priority Pass! I've used it before. JFK is poor too, due more to the fact that the airside terminals aren't connected.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Priority Pass Select is the sub-brand that Collinson devised to distinguish between paid and bank-subsidized memberships. To my knowledge only two lounge operators (United Airlines, Copa) excluded Priority Pass Select cards. This distinction has become irrelevant now that United has stopped accepting all Priority Pass cards at all locations worldwide. This was announced here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rity-pass.html

Can you find any lounge in the current Priority Pass directory which excludes Priority Pass Select or bank-sponsored memberships? To my knowledge there are none, but I learn the most when I am wrong. Show me.
Thanks Mia. I'll take a look. I think will also contact AMEX and see if something has changed re Lounge Access. Like I said, I would love to be incorrect and would gladly jump back on the Platinum bandwagon if I have any kind of lounge access at my primary airports. That would be enough to make it worth the AF to me.

For what it's worth, those are two of the worst large airports for lounge access in the US, IMO. There are virtually no lounges at EWR that aren't United Clubs - but the El Al lounge at EWR does accept Priority Pass! I've used it before. JFK is poor too, due more to the fact that the airside terminals aren't connected.
Haha. Tell me about. LOL. Unfortunately I refuse to make any connections any more at my age and only fly direct so stuck with them.

PS. Love this forum. Lots of good information on it. Wish I had known about it sooner.

Last edited by mia; Jan 5, 2016 at 6:08 am Reason: Consolidate consecutive replies
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...contact AMEX and see if something has changed re Lounge Access.
I doubt that frontline American Express customer service agents know the details of Priority Pass lounge locations or access rules. Everything you need to know is on https://www.prioritypass.com/select

...the El Al lounge at EWR does accept Priority Pass!
The Priority Pass site lists only this lounge: Art & Lounge (Terminal B)

https://www.prioritypass.com/lounges...f-4a40dbeb2989

Is this the contract lounge that El Al use?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mia
The Priority Pass site lists only this lounge: Art & Lounge (Terminal B)

https://www.prioritypass.com/lounges...f-4a40dbeb2989

Is this the contract lounge that El Al use?
Yep that's it. Couldn't remember the name off hand. Slightly odd ball lounge, but had hot food available, IIRC.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:52 am

The PRG doesn't cover loss for purchase protection but the Platinum does. I recently lost a sweatshirt I bought abroad at a party and made a claim and it was quickly reimbursed.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA DL
Originally Posted by Sintaku
The PRG doesn't cover loss for purchase protection but the Platinum does. I recently lost a sweatshirt I bought abroad at a party and made a claim and it was quickly reimbursed.
iirc PRG also has loss protection now.

Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Jcrew
iirc PRG also has loss protection now.

Agreed. A pair of shoes, was lost or stolen and AMEX PRG gave full credit!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Sant
The response to a question in the Amex forum regarding two Amex cards is to get a Citi card?
Hahaha. Prestige is the one true card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.