Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

3 x $200 airline reimbursement for one Platinum card annual fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone applied for the Platinum Card and received 3 $200 airline reimbursements for one annual fee? Example Apply Dec 2014 and get $200 in 2014 then in 2015 get another $200 and Jan 2016 get another $200 reimbursement and cancel card within 30 days of annual fee posting so the annual fee does not prorate
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: Current: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond. Former United 1K, JetBlue Mosiac, SPG Platinum
Thinking of doing it too since you can just get gift card. I did my purchase a few days ago. Way to late.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:12 am

Yep its been done
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:43 pm

Possible to get 3x Travel credit under one annual fee?

Signed up for my Platinum card in December of 2015, got the travel credit before the end of the year, and again in January of 2016.

My annual fee just posted on 12/25 and I am considering either downgrading to an Amex Everyday with no fee, or signing up for the Amex Everyday to get the 10,000 MR bonus and then canceling the Platinum card. Would like to preserve the MR I have(100k+), but will probably hold them until I get around to opening a Business Platinum card for the redemption bonus on travel.

I'm booking a flight this weekend. Is it possible to use the Amex Platinum and get the travel credit for 2017 and still get the full $450 back when I cancel, or should I use another card? I'm told I have 30 days from the posting of the fee to cancel for a refund.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by turin39789
...considering either downgrading to an Amex Everyday with no fee, or signing up for the Amex Everyday to get the 10,000 MR bonus and then canceling the Platinum card. ...
You cannot downgrade a charge card to a credit card. You will need to apply.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by mia
You cannot downgrade a charge card to a credit card. You will need to apply.
Thanks! On the phone they offered the switch to the gold, but that makes sense.

Do you know if I need to do anything to safeguard the current MR? Do they need to be transferred to the everyday card, or does any MR card keep all MR's alive?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:28 pm
mia

Do you know if I need to do anything to safeguard the current MR?
Normally all cards are linked to the same Membership Rewards account, and you only need one to keep the rewards account alive. It's not like Chase where each card has its own pool of points.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by mia
Normally all cards are linked to the same Membership Rewards account, and you only need one to keep the rewards account alive. It's not like Chase where each card has its own pool of points.
But in Chase, you can transfer points to another card that has points before you close it.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:59 am
mia

Originally Posted by st3v
But in Chase, you can transfer points to another card that has points before you close it.
Correct, at American Express you don't need to do know or remember to do this because the program is setup differently.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by st3v
But in Chase.
This is Amex not Chase
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:02 pm

How long after the annual fee posting can you cancel the card without paying some portion of the annual fee?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:05 pm
mia

See post #1:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-reported.html
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Asaq
How long after the annual fee posting can you cancel the card without paying some portion of the annual fee?
30 days from closing of statement.

I was able to get the $200 credits in. Now just debating on closure.

Went ahead and picked up the EveryDay card with no fee to keep points alive(and 10K points bouns)

Planned to cancel, and wait for the Business Plat to go back to 100K. Current spend is allocated for some offers on wife's account and we typically have higher spend over the summer.

Called and was offered $200 or 25K points to keep the card.

Will be travelling less this year, but will be routing through DFW next month.
Should probably close it, but will most likely decide to keep it and take the 25K points. Will probably sit on points until I do open the Business card for the 50% rebate on travel redemptions.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:54 pm
mia

...wait for the Business Plat to go back to 100K. ...
There is currently a Business Platinum offer for 100,000 pints which expires January 25:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...0k-public.html
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There is currently a Business Platinum offer for 100,000 pints which expires January 25:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...0k-public.html
Yup. Just easier to guarantee I hit the full 15k spend in the summer when daycare goes on the card, and currently doing some spend to help wife hit CP on SW card.

Or I kick that can down the road, take the 25k points and get the $200 credit again in January of 18 and call it a wash for the annual fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.