Amex fraud detection software

Old Feb 12, 13, 4:48 am

Now Amex offered me something very cool : each time a transaction goes through I get an email. So if transaction is fraudulent (never happened to me yet) I will be able to tell them very fastly.
Old Feb 12, 13, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, RCplatinum, Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by reclusive46 View Post
Same. Amex have never ever declined a charge. I've never had a fraudulent charge on my Amex either though.
Spent 10k at jewelry store in Maui while on vacation last month. Charge went through but phone rang on way out the door. Automated call from Amex noting charge and asking if authorized. I know un authorized charges are not my responsibility but like the notification.
Old Feb 12, 13, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL GM, BA Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, PC Plat, Hyatt Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by nccarguy View Post
Spent 10k at jewelry store in Maui while on vacation last month. Charge went through but phone rang on way out the door. Automated call from Amex noting charge and asking if authorized. I know un authorized charges are not my responsibility but like the notification.
Same happened to me today. I appreciate their proactive approach. My father was pick-pocketed in Paris last year (visa card, not amex) and a simple call would have alerted us much earlier. I feel that AmEx is doing the responsible thing and protecting their business by flagging things this fast.
Old Feb 12, 13, 5:48 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by safigan View Post
AmEx tends to flag large alcohol purchases.
I have never had an issue from buying alcohol in large amounts. Most months half my spend is alcohol (business related, some personal too )
Old Feb 13, 13, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by vilntrav View Post
Now Amex offered me something very cool : each time a transaction goes through I get an email. So if transaction is fraudulent (never happened to me yet) I will be able to tell them very fastly.
Diners Club in Austria sends a free text message for every single transaction. Even when it is just a hold. Generally a very good service.

Verry funny to see how many charges a Fairmount hotel puts on your card at check-in, before you have even spent anything (room already paid). IIRC I had 4 charges in 3 currencies. :-)
Old Feb 13, 13, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I also like the way that AMEX can blow up my phone, txt message, and email me the second they think anything is wrong. Giving me the ability to quickly reply "Yes it's cool" or "heck no, not me" makes it even better. FWIW Chase just added this to my Presidential Plus Card as well.
Old Apr 6, 14, 5:11 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
American Express notified me to a fraud alert

It was within minutes that the card ( JetBlue) which had not been used since December had a purchase attempt at 11:30 pm ET.

I received the email alert and almost deleted it thinking it was SPAM.

So I called the customer service on my card and checked my account online.

They ( he or she) first tried the card on a $9 purchase then when that went through they went for a $1252 Continental flight purchase that didn't.

So I had an alert set at $500 but I have changed all my alerts now down to $100 .
Just so glad that it was caught but worried that most of my purchases on the card were made locally at stores I frequently shop at .
Another store was Amazon.com.
Old Apr 6, 14, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I just want to add that I've been quite impressed with Amex's fraud department. I have a card I use quite regularly and first someone did a $1 donation to Wikipedia then a much larger purchase. I was unaware any of this happened until Amex called me with the fraud alert and then literally the next day I had a new Amex card in my hands.
Old Apr 6, 14, 7:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Ditto on the Kudos. Someone used my card to try and buy a Starbucks' GC in Canada the day I'd been scheduled to take a red-eye to FL, and they'd arranged for my replacement card to be at my hotel when I'd arrived.
Old Apr 6, 14, 10:21 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a recent fraud attempt which the folks in the Fraud department caught very nicely, and denied. Doing my own followup, it became pretty clear that the cause of the fraud was the Target incident.

The main hassle with getting a real fraud alert is that they send you a card with a new number and you have to go through and change all your automatic pay accounts. The last time they helped with this by emailing me a list of those charges that looked to them to be regularly-timed ones.
Old Apr 6, 14, 11:05 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
I had one yesterday for a $4 charge (it was a fee from a Phoenix company for "refueling" my electric car). The charge was fine. Odd that they did this for $4, but they said that somebody could have just been testing the card so better safe than sorry.
Old Apr 7, 14, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Life PLT, Amex Cent, WN A, WN CP, UA Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post

The main hassle with getting a real fraud alert is that they send you a card with a new number and you have to go through and change all your automatic pay accounts. The last time they helped with this by emailing me a list of those charges that looked to them to be regularly-timed ones.
My approach is that I asked for an authorized user card with my initials rather than first name. Since it has a different number, i can use this card for auto pay and not worry about having to change numbers if my walking around card is compromised.
Old May 25, 14, 11:35 am

Programs: ML
Fraud and Walmart

Just had to second the comment about a possible correlaton between Walmart and fraud: when my visa debit was skimmed in Hungary/Budapest ~3 years ago (didn't use it for purchases, in my view it had to have been something with the one ATM I used though I can't know for sure) I got the automated call from VISA fraud when it was used twice at Walmarts in coastal Mississippi (between Ocean Springs and Biloxi) - a state I have never been to. So perhaps there is/was a relationship with Walmart being a place stolen card numbers could be successfully used. Perhaps this is a reason walmart (along with Target now, for obvious reasons) are pushing chip-and-PIN cards.
Old Dec 20, 15, 11:53 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Amex fraud detection software

So I somehow managed to get through almost 30 years of never having fraudulent charges on my card and now I've been hit twice in the last two months.

Landed in Paris two months ago and had an email waiting asking "did you make this charge?" for about $500 of cosmetics. Nope. They fedex'ed me a new card to the hotel within a few days. Such a pain to change all your auto-pay stuff.

Since I received the new card, I only used it for a trip to NYC and a trip to London. This weekend I received another "did you make this charge?" email for $48 at a BP gas station in NYC. I'm on the west coast.

Called the regular customer service number and it didn't even go to customer service, they auto-routed me right to the fraud people. They said someone made a $5 charge at KFC in NYC and then followed up with an attempt for $48 in gas that they blocked. Another new card on the way.

Gotta say that Amex sure handles it well. It's an inconvenience but they are about as friendly and good as one could be with taking care of things and getting you a new card asap. I don't think the call took 10 minutes.

The fraud detection software that they use is pretty impressive. I use my card for all kinds of random things all over the world and I'm not at all predictable in the places I charge. Despite this, both times Amex had a bogus charge dialed in instantly after a single attempt, pretty impressive.

I'm in NY regularly, I buy gas all the time and was just at a KFC buying sodas two days ago so these charges were not out of the realm of possibility.

I poured over my NY statement thinking somewhere I went snarfed my card number. I had a bunch of Uber charges which are probably safe, a few taxi and Via charges (nobody handled my card). The only time I handed over my card and it disappeared for a bit was three restaurants and the Element hotel.

Since the card was almost brand-new when I went to NY, if it was someone that copied my card info it had to be one of those three restaurants or the hotel.

I know it's Amex's problem but it's interesting to wonder where it was grabbed. I'm sure the fraudsters were disappointed that all they managed to get off my mythical "black card" was a $5 order at KFC.

Makes me want to just use Apple Pay for everything I can to just have a tokenized payment.

Anyway, impressive detection Amex.
Old Dec 21, 15, 1:54 am

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
I am not even close to being an international jetsetter. I spend most of my time in the San Francisco Bay Area and Las Vegas, and I have never had a problem making purchases in either place. The last time I went to San Diego, I had no issues either. My only problem with the fraud detection was when I tried to get gas in Los Angeles earlier this year. It was a legitimate purchase on my part, but it set off AMEX's fraud detection software. I quickly verified with them that it was a legitimate purchase, but I found it interesting that THAT was the purchase that triggered a flag. I guess there must be a lot of fraudulent gas purchases in Los Angeles. In the grand scheme of things, a false positive to protect my account is preferable to them missing actual fraudulent charges.

Search this Thread