Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express slow posting rewards, bonuses and credits [Consolidated]

Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K

So, I signed up for my AmEx Premier Rewards card just over a month ago - 25,000 bonus points if I spend $2,000 during the first month (or is it two months). Anyway, I had spent my two grand within a few days of receiving the physical card, and on 12/01 received an email confirmation. My first statement closed on the 11th, and I paid off my balance immediately. However, no sign of my signup bonus - the points are "pending", but my actual points balance is still a big fat zero

I really was hoping to use these points for travel this month, so I called AmEx today. I got told the conditions say "6-8 weeks", and that my bonus points would post after my next statement, in January! That's obviously no good to me... The CS rep tried to take up the matter with their membership rewards dept, but was told there's nothing he can do to accelerate the process. I asked to speak to his supervisor, who told me the same thing (but in a b*tchier tone of voice).

I was just wondering if there's anything I can do to accelerate receipt of my bonus? I don't understand why it would take so much longer to receive when I've fulfilled the minimum spend conditions, and paid off my balance to boot. Am I being unreasonable here? Thanks for any responses!
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:30 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ints-post.html

Membership Rewards (USA) base points are posted as pending a few days after the statement is generated, and they become available to redeem a few days after the next statement, provided the balance was paid in full. In other words, the points are not earned until the bill is paid. If you pay early you can ask customer service to release the points early, but this will not happen automatically, and they will not always do so.

Bonus points are different. If this is your first Membership Rewards card they will probably not appear sooner than specified in the terms of the offer. If you are an established customer they may post as soon as the spend requirement is met.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Others might correct me, but I believe the timetable described above is S.O.P. for Amex MR.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Thanks mia and jsk1973. If it's S.O.P. is there any way I can get around it? I am new to AmEx so according to what mia said I might be S.O.L.
At one point the rep asked me for my card details and my mileage prog. number, so I was hopeful.... but then got back to me saying it wasn't possible.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:48 pm
Suspended

I'm relatively new to Amex myself, but I haven't seen anyone report success in accelerating receipt of sign-up bonuses.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Getting a card from any issuer and hoping to use the bonus the next month may be unrealistic.

Not having an established relationship may make it impossible.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mikity
Thanks mia and jsk1973. If it's S.O.P. is there any way I can get around it? I am new to AmEx so according to what mia said I might be S.O.L.
At one point the rep asked me for my card details and my mileage prog. number, so I was hopeful.... but then got back to me saying it wasn't possible.
I also just got my first Amex recently. I previously thought that Amex provided remarkable service and that all aspects (IT, customer service, etc) would be top-notch. This isn't the case as retail companies are legislating against credit card companies and winning. Amex is cutting jobs, outsourcing, and providing less benefits so, over time, Amex will become just like the other companies and our expectations need to be adjusted. But, to their credit, the Charge cards are eye-catching.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I disagree, once you've had a card or more for several years I've found them to be top notch in customer service rivaling Costco (ironically) and Nordstrom.

I've had my MR points immediately posted, and had an additional amount added generously. I've had cash back transferred from a card when closing one (Costco) to apply for another.

Time is your friend with Amex.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:50 am

Amex stretching out the waiting to credit MRs

Amex regularly credits MRs about one to two business days after the close of the following statement cycle.

I am now way past it and the rep said it takes up to 7-10 business days.

One more annoyance factor with Amex. I know that if i needed them ASAP that Amex can accelerate the posting but even though i am in no immediate need for the new batch of MRs it's not cool to have to manage this.

UR > MR when it comes to crediting points earned.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Amex regularly credits MRs about one to two business days after the close of the following statement cycle.

I am now way past it and the rep said it takes up to 7-10 business days.

One more annoyance factor with Amex. I know that if i needed them ASAP that Amex can accelerate the posting but even though i am in no immediate need for the new batch of MRs it's not cool to have to manage this.

UR > MR when it comes to crediting points earned.
I too have noticed it's taking longer.

Last edited by eajusa; Jan 31, 2016 at 6:51 pm
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
That sounds a bit rubbish, to be honest. With a UK Amex, the MRs will post to your account 1-2 days after the charge does. Typically that means you spend the money on a Monday, by the Tuesday or Wednesday the charge is on your statement, and on the Thursday or Friday the MR points have credited

Maybe suggest that they send some IT folk over to Brighton to learn how it's done? ;-)
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:54 pm

I have two cards and both of their billing cycles cut off 8 days ago. Neither one of them have posted any points at all.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:54 pm

I also noticed that the 30x counter on my Everyday Pref Card takes a few days to reset. Maybe it's timed with the MR posting.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:21 pm

This month I noticed the same thing with my SPG points. Normally takes 2 days after the statement cuts, when I called to check at 10 days after the statement date I was told the points were "pending". Points finally posted on day 11. Not sure why Amex has changed things up.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If you read the AMEX Everyday thread, our purchase (20 purchases in billing cycle for 20% bonus) counter has gone nuts as well. Might just be a general IT issue - I also waited for 7+ days for my sign-up bonus to post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.