How to maximize 125K MRpoints for FCO travel

Old Nov 24, 15, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

How to maximize 125K MRpoints for FCO travel

I have 125K MR points. Have decent status on UA and AA. I fly IAD/FCO fairly often and would like to move these MR points to an airline for premium reward travel. A few other sites suggest BA and/or AA, but I'm not convinced. Obviously wanting to fly business NS or 1 stop max. Suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.
MR
Old Nov 24, 15, 5:14 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk

Originally Posted by marclr View Post
...A few other sites suggest BA and/or AA, ...
It is improbable that a site recommended transferring to AA, because American is not a Membership Rewards transfer partner. Instead, they likely recommended transferring to BA and redeeming for a partner award on a flight operated by AA, but that would not be good value on a transatlantic route.

Start by reading the Wikipost at the very top of this thread, and following some of the links:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-program.html

Last edited by mia; Nov 25, 15 at 1:21 am
Old Nov 24, 15, 6:58 pm
Community Director

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Check flights.google.com to learn the possibilities of carriers and routes.

Be aware that 1 MR point transfers to BA as .8 points. BA prices flights per segment, and you really need to immerse yourself in its program to figure out how many points it will take to get between these two cities. There is a one stop connection on Aer Lingus via Dublin. A blogger has put together an award chart that you use in conjunction with this chart for BA. IAD-DUB is 3404 miles and DUB-FCO is 1171 miles. The first flight is in band 5 and the 2nd is in band 3. That means that flying in business requires 67,000 or 80,000 Avios depending on whether it is peak travel. Your 125K AMEX points will yield 100K Avios so you have enough for one way if you redeem via BA. (Others can check my math; I'm doing this on the fly for you.)

The only nonstop flight I can find from IAD-FCO is on United. You can explore the Air Canada program as a place to send MR to redeem for UA award space. You'll want to find award space before moving points.
Old Nov 24, 15, 8:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt Ist-iest
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
The only nonstop flight I can find from IAD-FCO is on United. You can explore the Air Canada program as a place to send MR to redeem for UA award space. You'll want to find award space before moving points.
Also, it's worth noting that Aeroplan is making changes to their award chart soon, maybe next month?
Old Nov 24, 15, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
Also, it's worth noting that Aeroplan is making changes to their award chart soon, maybe next month?
This. If you book before Dec 15 with Aeroplan it should be 90k plus fuel surcharges and tax for RT to FCO (and you can minimize surcharges by targeting carriers such as SK, UA, etc. - there's a list somewhere).

After Dec 15 it's jumping to 110k RT which still isn't terrible.

DL is another option - would cost 125k on the dot RT if you can find partner award space but YMMV bc the DL connection from WAS area airports could bump up price (or you could just target ex-NYC and pay for flight / train).

Aeroplan is likely your best bet for direct flights because it'll give you access to UA's IAD - FCO flight (space available) at a slight discount to UA's prices and with minimal fuel surcharges
Old Nov 25, 15, 2:46 am

Aeroplan on TK J to FCO would be awesome, no YQ either
IAD-IST-FCO r/t in J for only 90K Aeroplan + tax/fees

check out my signature thread on Aeroplan to Europe
Old Nov 27, 15, 6:36 am

first i would only transfer the points to an airline after i find the flights i want. in my opinion Delta can give you a better availability than a lot of the other airlines, on the low tier it would be 62.5k for one way business ticket, so your 125k can give you a round trip ticket, you will end up with a stop since they don't have straight flight out of IAD, check that option out.
Old Nov 27, 15, 8:15 am

Note that AMEX MR transfer to Aeroplan INSTANTLY
so if you do find flights on Aeroplan.com, you can transfer while you call/book it

Good luck

Search this Thread
Search Engine: